Your Would-a, Should-a, Could-a Artists of the Rock Era?

• Members

I don't know. I think there may be hundreds of artists who had the talent to be the next big thing in every era. But the record business is a lot like the lottery; It takes a lot of luck for all of the stars to align that put you into position to be a pop star.

So much if it is trend, management, connection, and timing. That is why people who are ambitious and have a strong personal will are the ones who fight their way through all of that and persist even when deal after deal falls through.

You have to really, really, really want it at the depth of your being. Then hopefully have some talent to go with that ambition. Sadly though; ambition frequently trumps talent in the entertainment biz.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re: Gayle McCormick:

Back in the 60s, it was not that advantageous for female artists to be "too" gorgeous or sexy. Basically the public was not predisposed to take a "too hot" female like that very seriously. This attitude was not confined to males, either. Blond and built? Well, Marilyn Monroe was still around in the 60s, as the "archtype-in-progress", and we know how her story went.

Women were no less lovely in the 60s, but there were far fewer bodacious babes among the super-successful females. "Worthy of respect" and "sexy" were mutually exclusive to a large extent. Any exception would just prove the rule.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I think that there is an internet forum rule that Marshall Crenshaw belongs on a list like this. He comes to mind partly because of the mention of typecasting. Typecasting is a formula in the movie business that has existed since the very beginnings of the industry. And in the movie business, it seems to work. In the music business, it is much trickier. Crenshaw may have been Buddy Holly in the wrong decade. Or some wry songwriter like David Wilcox may have been 30 years too late. The results are unpredictable.

• Members

Austin bands I can think of off the top of my head that we all were waiting to take the world by storm:

Storyville
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Charlie Sexton
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Seems to me Charlie's always had image/pigeonhole problems - such a talent, 'tho.

This guy has a voice, I mean. Also has a gift for covering Dylan tunes, which is like playing Shakespeare - a very respectable and necessary bit of cultural creation:
Jimmy LaFave (just a still photo YT, but he's nothing to look at, just listen - and ignore the beyond-corny visuals)
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

and of course, the classic case of drugs and schizophrenia derailing a career:
Roky Erickson
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

nat whilk ii

• Members
I thought that might have been from "Where the Action is", and I am delighted to find out that
somebody documented those shows and their airdates
. amazing!

Wow... In reading the link I'm having flashbacks. I was a regular viewer of both Bandstand and Action. I must be old.

From the link:
73. The Castaways / Brenda Holloway (10/8/1965)
147. The Castaways / The Apollos (1/21/1966)
165. The Castaways / Brook Benton (2/16/1966)
When my family moved to Minnesota in Dec 1965 (as a Jr in HS) The Castaways were playing the home coming dance at my high school. I thought it was great that the school brings in bands (in the dead of Winter yet) from California for a home coming dance. Little did I know that they all had graduated from neighboring high schools and were a local band. I saw them many times thereafter. :facepalm:

• Members

Re: Gayle McCormick:

Back in the 60s, it was not that advantageous for female artists to be "too" gorgeous or sexy. Basically the public was not predisposed to take a "too hot" female like that very seriously.

Whereas nowadays, it's 90% of a girl singer's act.

• Members
I think that there is an internet forum rule that Marshall Crenshaw belongs on a list like this. He comes to mind partly because of the mention of typecasting. ...Crenshaw may have been Buddy Holly in the wrong decade. Or some wry songwriter like David Wilcox may have been 30 years too late. The results are unpredictable.

Like I said about October Project -- maybe now (and for the last few decades -- since MTV?), if the lyrics are TOO clever, TOO intelligent, the artist can rise only so far and no higher. Maybe Elvis Costello is the exception, but: Richard Thompson, Ron Sexsmith, Graham Parker, etc. have very respectable fan bases, but they ain't assaulting the upper reaches of the charts.

Was it different in the 60s? "Like a Rolling Stone" comes to mind, or Laura Nyro's million-selling songs. Was the general, radio-listening public more comfortable with intellectually-stimulating lyrics? :confused:

• Members
Was it different in the 60s? "Like a Rolling Stone" comes to mind, or Laura Nyro's million-selling songs. Was the general, radio-listening public more comfortable with intellectually-stimulating lyrics?
:confused:

When radio was programmed by actual people in local markets there was a lot more variety and a larger spectrum of tastes represtented. In the Clear Channel Age, radio is programmed nationaly and only a handful of folks are the gate keepers.

• Members

After the mention of Charlie Sexton, you reminded me of his Arc Angels partner, Doyle Bramhall II. The industry thought he was the "next big thing" but he never got traction.

His story is a major component of the documentary "Before the Music Dies". Highly recommended viewing, available on Hulu.

js

• Members

When radio was programmed by actual people in local markets there was a lot more variety and a larger spectrum of tastes represtented. In the Clear Channel Age, radio is programmed nationaly and only a handful of folks are the gate keepers.

Yep. Local bands actually used to be able to get some air time. There were local record labels all over the country promoting local bands. Once in a while a local record would break out of an area and go national. That's what happened with The Castaways. They were on the local Soma label and Soma had the right connections to get the record out nationally. I assume they got the record accepted on the local Twin Cities stations and then went from there. I bought their record (Liar Liar) as a youngster in 1964 when I lived in Washington DC where it had hit the top 10. Soma had an advantage though in that they were one of the largest (and eventually became the largest) record distributors in the country. There were many other local labels in the Twin Cities area though at the time. It's a shame that radio has gone the way it has.

• Members

Geesh. Way too many to name. Probably the best examples I can think of are Peter Case and Richard Thompson. Honestly, I don't think either of them would deal with massive fame too well, so it's probably just as well. But really, two of the best songwriters and performers you'll ever hear.

Richard Thompson has played McCarter Theater in Princeton NJ every year for as long as I remember, he plays with a full band, but more recently solo.

In 1982? my band had the opportunity to open for him...he was a modest, down to earth, English gentleman...we spoke of British Sportscars.

He planted a kiss on my two year old daughters head.

I have seen him about 12 times at the theater since then.

Just wondering, If you care to reply...what is your fave Richard Thompson song.

• Members
OK, Matthew Sweet should have been HUGE.

PS No Jeff Buckley? I am surprised no one mentioned him yet.

Phil, 'you are on another planet, you're in my dreams':)
Matthew was living in the Princeton NJ around 1990...he had an ad in the local paper selling his Tascam 4 channel cassette recorder...he was recording out of his walk- in closet at the time...his lead guitar was Princeton born and bred.
My bud and I bought the porta-studio and I have'nt advanced too far technologically in the recording process since then.:) .you are hitting close to home now:thu:

In 1980 my band opened foR CSN IN Princeton NJ, as well as Richard Thompson in 1982.
We were cheap, available, and were basking in the 'Intellectual Light' of the University...meaning we had a member of the Faculty in the band.:)

• Members

While you're waiting on Lee's answer, I'll give you mine: it's "Beeswing", and "Mirror Blue" is my favorite album (I've seen RT 3 or 4 times, solo & band).

What are your favorites?

• Members
While you're waiting on Lee's answer, I'll give you mine: it's "Beeswing", and "Mirror Blue" is my favorite album (I've seen RT 3 or 4 times, solo & band).

What are your favorites?

MGB-GT among others...this is what we spoke of when I met him...my ride at the time was a 1961 MGA series 1600, wooden floor, wire wheels, a real raw car...no frills...his car was a British Sportsar going the modern way(1965).roll up windows,etc...:)

• Members

Richard Thompson has played McCarter Theater in Princeton NJ every year for as long as I remember, he plays with a full band, but more recently solo.

In 1982? my band had the opportunity to open for him...he was a modest, down to earth, English gentleman...we spoke of British Sportscars.

He planted a kiss on my two year old daughters head.

I have seen him about 12 times at the theater since then.

Yeah he comes through here every year or so too. I used to see him in L.A. quite often when I lived there, as well.

I have no idea what my favorite RT song is - there are so many. Just to name a few... "Dimming of the Day," "For Shame of Doing Wrong," "Crawl Back," "When I Get To the Border," "Civilization"... well I could really go on for awhile.

The coolest thing is he only gets better as he gets older. He's never done drugs or drank or anything, he's a very spiritual guy who's always been extremely disciplined and takes care of himself so he's just kept on getting better. When he was young he used to be very shy onstage - he preferred to just play guitar and be half in the shadows, and when he started singing on his own he was tentative. Not anymore!

Just an amazing and inspirational guy to me.

BTW I'm a fan of most of the people mentioned in this thread - great shout-outs everyone! :thu: Kings X, Matthew Sweet, the Beat Farmers, Jellyfish, the Replacements, Marshall Crenshaw, Jeff Buckley, Storyville, Mudhoney... pretty much everyone mentioned here is awesome.

Any XTC fans in da house? How about Bob Mould/Sugar/Husker Du?

I'll also add Sloan, who've been together since 1991 and still have their original lineup. And all 4 guys write songs and sing and play multiple instruments, somehow without apparent ego clashes. And their stuff is killer. They are not to be missed live, if you ever get the chance.

I guess they're fairly well known in their native Canada, but not here.

I really could go on in this thread for a long time. There are a crapload of awesome musicians and bands in my local scene (Atlanta and Athens) alone.

• Members

Husker Du?

Interesting Minnesota band. I saw them only a few times. The bass player, Greg Norton, and his wife now own a restaurant in Red Wing, Minnesota. Oddly enough the restaurant is named "The Norton's". http://www.thenortonsrestaurant.com/ I have eaten there a couple of times (my brother used to live in Red Wing) and the food was great.

• Members
:cop:

wasn't he in a California Band called The Merry-go Round?

His solo album ... a great cut with lyrics, 'She's such a beauty, so young and so lovely, but all her time's spent by her mothers side'

were Sonny and Cher in the movie?

Yeah - The Merry-Go-Round was his early band.

His song "Lullaby" is on The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, 'cause I thought Emmit was almost totally unknown and/or forgotten.

The album that has the cuts I posted up is I think a 1970 album - so it's a pretty good sound for a home studio in those days. Very "taped" sounding.

Nowadays his sound is to me more charming than revelatory - in fact very McCartney-ish in that aspect also. But I love the sound, the simplicity and directness of his material. I can only imagine if he had the right backers and all, he could have made a big time career - at least as big as maybe Gerry Rafferty, maybe?

nat whilk ii

Archived