Playing guitar in college dorms...

ffud

• Members

I'd consider the volume of an acoustic guitar to be a good benchmark for what's an acceptable volume level during the daytime. If you're playing your electric plugged in, it shouldn't be louder than your acoustic.

If you want to have a band, bring an amp that's small enough to CARRY to wherever you plan to rehearse or perform, unless you go to some mythically awesome school where they let freshmen have cars.

• Members

My Freshman year in college I did not play much guitar. I had my Fender US Lone Star Strat (wish I still had it), and my Guild D-25 acoustic.

During the Orientation week my mom and dad drove me down to Guitars Etc. in Tucson, AZ and I talked them in to buying me a Fender Champ 25 amp. That was my main amp throughout my college days. I sold it a few years ago for like $50

I was able to get away with playing during the day while a lot of people were in class.

I *COULD NOT* play in the evenings. I *COULD NOT* play if my roommate was around.

I sometimes didn't go out on weekends so I could play guitar.

I got tired of that pretty plain Fender Champ 25 distortion sound so I bought a Boss GT-3 to add some different OD tones along with Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Flange, etc...

I bought the GT-3 for $350 and charged it to my Capitol One credit which was my first ever credit card that I got earlier that year with a $500 limit. I canceld the credit card 7 years ago and I sold the GT-3 for like $200

• Members

If you can't find a better place to play, go to the music department of your school, make friends with a professor or clerk, and use one of the practice rooms when its not occupied to make a lot of noise. As a student at the school, you should feel entitled to use those soundproofed rooms as a resource.

Plan B, which is what I'd do, is buy a jamhub. (I've never tried one but I'm gassing for one.)

• Members

If you can't find a better place to play, go to the music department of your school, make friends with a professor or clerk, and use one of the practice rooms when its not occupied to make a lot of noise. As a student at the school, you should feel entitled to use those soundproofed rooms as a resource.

Plan B, which is what I'd do, is buy a
jamhub
. (I've never tried one but I'm gassing for one.)

They never had anything like that at the music building at my university. They had a guitar program but it was all classical guitar.

• Members

I go to a music university, so I can crank it when the hell I like and generally end up having a band practise.
:lol:

I went to Berklee and there was a strict 'no amps' policy in the dorms. There were a few rehearsal spaces downstairs and of course in the other buildings, but a quick jam with your buddies over a Marshall and you had the RD knocking on your door.

• Members

Buy a budget amp and guitar. Trust me. I had my Ric and Fender Bassman stolen just because I was being stupid and showoffy. In retrospect, I deserved it.

This. You just have to be very careful. I had a lot of stuff stolen in college, including a half stack. I was an idiot, though, and trusted people I should not have. Live and learn.

There are all kinds of great headphone amp types of things - a Pod, the Waves iGTR (which I use now for silent practice), or get an interface for a computer and use an amp sim.

• Members

I played a lot my first two years in the dorms. Dinner time when everyone is at the dining hall is OK. Friday and Sat. after 6 are fair game as the dorm will get loud with people raging. We played pretty damn loud sometimes and nobody cared.

• Members

I went to Berklee and there was a strict 'no amps' policy in the dorms. There were a few rehearsal spaces downstairs and of course in the other buildings, but a quick jam with your buddies over a Marshall and you had the RD knocking on your door.

nazis. :facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, when I was in college I basically brought my pod and some nice studio monitors. That way I can still get some great tones but keep the boominess down. Plus if it's late you can always plug in headphones. As long as youre respectful of your neighbors, you can find a comfortable balance where you're happy and they're not annoyed.

• Members

Wouldn't worry too much about theft - realistically your laptop, iPod, and xbox are going be taken before anybody thinks about snagging a big ungainly amp or guitar.

Had some folks who pulled the fire alarm my freshman year in another building and walked thru the hallway putting laptops in a big sack from every room that was left unlocked :facepalm: Fortunately they got wise and dumped the bag behind some bushes and laptops were returned to students.

• Members

Wish I had gone to school for music industry... Suppose it's not too late. If you don't mind my prying, do you wanna be a record label exec, talent scout, what?

I think you're about 15 years too late. The "music industry" as such probably won't exist in another five years, and good riddance... :mad:

• Members

you dont happen do go to ACM do you?

Niggaplz.

That place is awful... went there for a few courses, and each time the vibe I got back was "we want your money, and we don't like being personal".

I go to a very professional college... gives us a lot to work with... last year was amazing, we lived in a 5-bedroom house which had a few practise areas, always had bands over.