Playing guitar in college dorms...

ffud

• Members

Hey, so I'm a high school senior this year and I'm thinking about colleges and what not for next year. My biggest concern with college is people being pissy about me playing guitar in my dorm. Naturally I can always play un-plugged or acoustic, but then there's always that special kind of jack@$$ who will whine anyhow, and also, I feel like if I'm limited in volume and sounds, I will just play a little bit less causing my playing to suffer.

Anyone have experiences playing in dorm rooms? or thoughts about this?

• Members

I feel like if I'm limited in volume and sounds, I will just play a little bit less causing my playing to suffer.

I think that'll happen only if playing music/guitar was never really that important to you. You might be surprised at how your playing may improve by limiting your "volume and sounds."

My freshman year I had a loud amp in a dorm with super-thin metal walls. I rarely turned it on in the dorm.

These days, if I want to play quietly and don't feel like playing an acoustic, I'll play through a digital modeler (pod) through computer speakers. Headphones can get annoying.

• Members

nice. I dig your sig. I only wish that was possible for me. My neighbours called the cops on our last three band practices at my house. Now we use my drummers
:(

Thanks haha! Big house. Detached. No worries now. :p

Your neighbours need to stop being jackasses... or you need a lot of egg boxes in your garage!

• Members

Never had a problem. Lived in dorms all four years, always with many roommates. As long as you are reasonably respectful of others (ie you can't just play whenever you want or super late at night) it's never a problem. I always had 15+ watt tube combos with me in college. I played in bands (college jazz band + rock bands) so I needed a real amp with me.

Dorms are loud places anyway. There's usually somebody (often multiple people) drunk, high, or playing music or videogames loud anyway, so what's different about a guitar?

Although I suppose people's reactions might be a little less positive if you are playing chugga chugga all the time or are painfully bad to listen to :)

• Members

I think that'll happen only if playing music/guitar was never really that important to you. You might be surprised at how your playing may improve by limiting your "volume and sounds."

I disagree sir. I generaly play a crap load. I play in three different groups: my rock band, my school jazz band, and church worship band. I'm going to be majoring in music industry. Music/guitar is very important to me. Nevertheless, I enjoy playing more when I can have some fun with an amp and pedal board. This causes me to play more (like closer to 6 hours a day rather than like 4 maybe) And I generally am more creative when I can mess around with the effect stuff and when I play unplugged I revert to old boring stuff more often.

its just not AS fun. Playing unplugged on a fun scale of 1-10 is like a 10. But plug'd n crank'd is like a 13.

anyway,

thanks for the input!

• Members

I've got an acoustic with me in the dorms now. I've played as loud as I could (and even sang) and never received any complaints. There's always "that guy" but for the most part people in college are pretty chill.

Next year I'm bringing my electric, but then again I'm living in the music-oriented house next year, where they actually encourage you to crank it!

Definitely don't bring expensive gear. Besides getting stolen, you don't want to have someone puke or spill beer on a guitar you've saved years for.

Basic rule for playing in the dorms: don't be an asshole and people won't be assholes back. Meaning don't crank it at 2am or during finals week or when your roommate's sleeping. Have fun next year!

• Members

I used my 15 watt practice amp when I lived in a dorm. Space is going to be very limited, and you really don't need that much volume to fill up a dorm room. If you plan on gigging, that's another story -- but if you're just going to practice in your room, go with something small.

My band is currently planning on staying together next year and commuting to shows, so I do need to have my full rig with me for gigging and to practice.

• Members

There were at least 3 guitar players on my floor freshman year, the only one that bothered anybody was the one who sounded like a tin can of bees going chugga chugga all the time. Cheap ibanez + cranked metal zone + crappy practice amp is not a good thing...

that sounds all bad.

• Members

Get a guitar multi effects unit whose fave effects are very good to excellent for you. These all have stereo headphone outputs along with stereo out. Sometimes combined in one stereo output. Some of these also have an aux input that ipods, cd players, etc can be plugged into. If you dont allready have some, also get some good full range headphones. This as the basis for your at night during quiter times and when wanting lots more perceived volume.

Ok, this effects unit needs to be programmed as best you can for "ready for recording" tone. Besides feeding the headphones mentions above. It will do excellent job of feeding powered studio monitors, PA systems via their mixer input, and even full range computer speakers whose sound you like for music playback.

Makes for excellent and most of the time, much fuller & richer sounding monitor rig then most little guitar combo amps. Excellent for dorm rooms, apts, and even live use via going thru house PA.