precise moment you wanted to play guitar

geetarded

• Members

I was . . . must've been about 13 or so. I had a state bowling tourney down in San Diego so the family made a vacation of it. On the way, we stopped by my aunt & uncle's in Santa Ana for a day.

Up to this point in my life I had never really been into music much at all. My parents never listened to any that I can remember, it was never on in the house and rarely in the car; it just wasn't a "thing."

My uncle had a Mesa Boogie 1/2stack and a burgundy Jackson with reversed headstock and Jessica rabbit airbrushed on it. He started wailing away on this awesome music (I was truly clueless stuff like this existed) from Mamlsteen, Metallica, Satriani, Vai, and all assortments of cool bluesy stuff of unknown origin.

I was immediately hooked and decided there that one day I would be able to do that. I got a no-name Strat knockoff for my next birthday and have been playing for the 20+ years since.

• Members

In about 1975 I saw Bachman Tuner Overdrive, I was around 10, I went to their concert at the fair in Saskatoon, Blaire Thornton played a black Les Paul during the song, Four Wheel Drive, it screamed, awesome to a young impressionable delinquent, I finally have a black Les Paul copy, I'm 44 lol, love it and problably wouldn't trade for the real thing though, it fits.

• Members

Walking through town one day with my dad when I was around 5, I saw two guitars in the window of Al Nali's Music Shop. I asked him if I could have one and he said "Sunday". Well, that day came and went a couple thousand times when I finally realized he must've said, "someday".

• Members
was 13, 1969, sitting on Jeff Thompson's front stoop in Fishkill New York and he started playing "Proud Mary" on his Sears single pick up electric guitar, that had htat ol fat chunky neck. I bought is off him for $10.00. The very next song I learnt was "House of the Rising Sun"!!

• Members

I was interested in guitar and picked away at my brother's acoustic at around 13. I didnt get really into it until I was about 16 and bought John Lee Hooker's greatest hits and rented The Song Remains the Same on video. I drove home and listened to Hook and then watched the concert like 5 times back to back. From that point on I was hooked.

I remember my cousin playing Ziggy Stardust at my house and thinking "if I could just play that I would be happy" hehe

• Members

When we moved to a new town (more suburbia), i was about 9 and i fellow classmate invited me to his house. He had this wayyy cool Aria Pro II, from what i recall either a LP double cut or stratish body style---cant remember for sure. It was black and had a red lightning bolt on the front that was made up with a bunch of red dots. I went home and couldn't stop talking about it. Christmas when i was ten my parents (i mean Santa) got me my first guitar.

And you older guys know the type i speak of, horrible action, bad tuners, noisey pots and switches. No matter it was uber cool for a 10 year old. Oh and it had the infamous "wammy bar", LOL.

I played all the time (but only wanted to learn to play songs from the radio and MTV, so while i can play, my music theory is pretty much non existant. I gave up playing for the most part for a long time, 3 years ago when i bought my house and was poor, i needed something to kill time, so i got back into playing again and its been a blast since. Oh and the amount of guitars i have amassed from being around all you GAS people has been a fun ride too.

• Members

Walking through town one day with my dad when I was around 5, I saw two guitars in the window of Al Nali's Music Shop. I asked him if I could have one and he said "Sunday". Well, that day came and went a couple thousand times when I finally realized he must've said, "someday".

I seriously :lol:'d

Archived