Would an Xaviere guitar be a good choice if I don't know how to set up a guitar?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I'm just really curious how good of a choice an Xaviere guitar would be if I do not know how to set up a guitar. I am really interested in buying one of these guitars. The price is right and attractive since I do not have a whole lot of money and they seem like they are pretty complete instruments. Plus everyone on here likes them.

I am just a little apprehensive because I do not know how to set up a guitar. Apart from switching strings I am clueless. Everyone on here, evern Jay, always say that the guitars need to be set up upon delivery. The truss rods come loose, the neck needs oiling, and adjustment to string height needs to be done. On the HC user reviews site I read that a few people had to level a few frets? Not sure, but they said the guitars needed setting up before fully playing.

If they need so much work out of the box would one of these guitars be a good choice for me?

• Members

Hit or miss. I am huge advocate of learning how to do your own setups. A basic setup is very easy to do once you know the steps and have a few very basic tools. The plus to this is that you don't ever have to discount any guitar because it might be lousy "out of the box". Opens up a whole new world of Cheap, but very good guitars after a basic set-up.

Lou

• Members

i've never bought a guitar (from price range 150 dollars to 3200 dollars) that didn't need setup right away. Check out youtube and a few other videos on how to set up guitars and learn, man. if you adopt the "little at a time each day" philosophy with truss adjustments, i really don't see you messing up your guitar at all

and a sidenote: my xv900 sets up better than any other guitar i own....and i own some beasts (am deluxe strats and teles, LP standards, ...nice {censored})

• Members

You know, when I first started playing I didn't even know what a setup was. I did the best with what I had. String buzzing? either raise the saddle a bit or put a folded up piece of paper in the nut slot. The internet is a lovely creature for fun and games, just don't take things overly serious. I've played a bunch of cheapies from nearly every affordable manufacturer doing reviews for FG and while a setup can make a guitar play great, I've yet to play one where a guitar was unplayable prior to a set up and played sweetly after. If something is seriously wrong with the instrument, you can tell pretty quick and will have to send it back. Otherwise, just have fun.

• Members

I say you should do it. It's smart to learn how to do your own setups. It saves you money and you can get the guitar exactly how you want it.

I started doing my own setups a little over a year ago on my MIM Fender Strat, then my MIM Tele and my others. Sure they're not the most expensive guitars in the world but they're my main ones and I wasn't afraid. As long as you're careful you can't go wrong doing a setup on a guitar. If a n00b like me was able to do it, who sucks at using tools and work with my hands, I'm sure you can.

• Members

Not my XV-820. That neck has never had a buzz on any fret ever.

My point is just because a new guitar has a few uneven frets, doesn't mean you should necessarily send it back. Chances are you will have the same problem with the replacement. Your best bet is to learn how to do a setup, including spot leveling frets, and then you don't need to worry about it.

• Members
Not my XV-820. That neck has never had a buzz on any fret ever.

Yup, neither has my XV-900.:thu:

Some good comments in this thread regarding doing your own setups - most of it is very, very simple.

I say go for it - great learning experience.:lol:

Archived