why don't more people go the custom route?

diceman1000

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^the two best replies in the entire thread^^^

^^^it is wrong to assume that New Dawn is going to be anything like TTM... i have talked to Ken enough to know that he is NOT Lance Benedict^^^

I realise youre quite the fan of New Dawn, and thats fine. I am not saying they are the same people, but ultimately they represent the same market niche, its just that TTM conducted their business rather poorly.... whereas with New Dawn, that is yet to be seen, I wish them best of luck....

• Members

I realise youre quite the fan of New Dawn, and thats fine. I am not saying they are the same people, but ultimately they represent the same market niche, its just that TTM conducted their business rather poorly.... whereas with New Dawn, that is yet to be seen, I wish them best of luck....

I'd say most of the "fans" are fans primarily because of New Dawn's "pimp us for a discount" promotion listed on their website.. So easy to make a willing shill when you throw a few % around.. :rolleyes:

• Members

I'd say most of the "fans" are fans primarily because of New Dawn's "pimp us for a discount" promotion listed on their website.. So easy to make a willing shill when you throw a few % around..
:rolleyes:

wrong, again... i'm a fan of New Dawn/Rose because the owner comes on this forum and talks to us like we're people, regardless of wether not we are talking about his products or guitars at all. he is respectful and helpful and does not treat any of us like we are marks, so to speak. Bryan is the same way... that's why i'm a New Dawn/Rose and BG fanboy... because they're real people.

i've yet to see anyone from Fender, Gibson, Carvin:blah::blah::blah: on this board. and, while Jay and Kurt do post from time to time... they ONLY post when it is in regard to THEIR products, i don't ever see them bsing about sports or music or anything else...

so roll your eyes elsewhere and condescend to to someone else... go find some noob to shape and mold... i'll be happy to deal with the real people and take a gamble on the unknown and keep some dollars in my pocket while doing so...

• Members

1) because many people like LP's, strats, tele's etc and despite internet grumblings you can walk into any guitar shop and find a great example made by the famous manufacturer. If I want an LP, why would I want a distorted looking one made by someone else

2) Not all luthiers are created equal and the one's who have stellar reputations command stallar prices. Buying a nic huber orca will cost me significantly more than a custom shop LP and I'm unlikely to be able to even see one. Sure, the internet reviews are good, but the same internet thinks you can change the p'ups in an agile and it's better than an R9.

I like the idea of a custom guitar but there are obvious reasons why more people don't go that route

• Members

wrong, again... i'm a fan of New Dawn/Rose because the owner comes on this forum and talks to us like we're people, regardless of wether not we are talking about his products or guitars at all. he is respectful and helpful and does not treat any of us like we are marks, so to speak. Bryan is the same way... that's why i'm a New Dawn/Rose and BG fanboy... because they're real people.

i've yet to see anyone from Fender, Gibson, Carvin:blah:
:blah:
:blah: on this board. and, while Jay and Kurt do post from time to time... they ONLY post when it is in regard to THEIR products, i don't ever see them bsing about sports or music or anything else...

so roll your eyes elsewhere and condescend to to someone else... go find some noob to shape and mold... i'll be happy to deal with the real people and take a gamble on the unknown and keep some dollars in my pocket while doing so...

First off, I'm a huge fan of guys doing their own thing and going around to message boards to support it. We have a lot of guys around here that do that, Jim Soloway is the first one that comes to my mind. I have zero issues with Jay for being here. Jay is a great guy, treats his customers like gold and should be a model for anyone thinking about starting a business that wants to do it right.. The New Dawn guy is another great example. I even saw him give a good review to another brand the other day. Classy..

However, despite how good they are, seeing people that have never played their product throwing out praise for them to anyone that asks is a bit low rent. Try actually touching one of New Dawn's guitars before you declare yourself a fanboy. And seriously, everytime I see you stumping for New Dawn, I have to feel like you are just doing it for their little promotion thing.. Your credability where this is concerned = zero. Sorry dude, just the way it is..

• Members

First off, I'm a huge fan of guys doing their own thing and going around to message boards to support it. We have a lot of guys around here that do that, Jim Soloway is the first one that comes to my mind. I have zero issues with Jay for being here. Jay is a great guy, treats his customers like gold and should be a model for anyone thinking about starting a business that wants to do it right.. The New Dawn guy is another great example. I even saw him give a good review to another brand the other day. Classy..

However, despite how good they are, seeing people that have never played their product throwing out praise for them to anyone that asks is a bit low rent. Try actually touching one of New Dawn's guitars before you declare yourself a fanboy. And seriously, everytime I see you stumping for New Dawn, I have to feel like you are just doing it for their little promotion thing.. Your credability where this is concerned = zero. Sorry dude, just the way it is..

i guess that's the difference between you and me then... i come from a place where a mans word is bond. and, until that man screws me over or gives me a reason to doubt him, i will give him the benefit of the doubt... screw me once shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me... i can comfortably recommend New Dawn and Rose without having touched the products because the owner is top notch and would make things right if a customer was unhappy. and in no way was i down talking Jay or Kurt, i've heard nothing but great things about both of them... i guess we can just agree to disagree, no harm no foul;)

my original intent with this thread was really directed more towards custom amps like Ceriatone and, not so much handmade axes, but companies that have one off options that have factories build for them. i guess i'm different because i know a few of the axes that i want, from the woods to the pups. i know that i want an ef86 pre-amp section with and el84 power section and dumble type od... and i've forever been an against the grain bargain hunter. that's why i run elemental designs amps and speakers in my vehicle, jl audio quality for 1/3 of the price with 5 times the warranty... makes sense to me:idk:... and if i've said it once, i'll say it a million times, everybody was nobody at some point... Dimarzio, Duncan, Leo Fender, Orville Gibson, all of them...

• Members

Probably most people cannot be bothered .Its not going to make you a much better guitarist and its just to show off and pretend you are more discerning than other plebs who buy off the shelf stuff .

Also you have to WAIT !!!!! .Who wants to wait months for guy to chip away at a bit of wood when you can go to a shop and buy something as good .

• Members

Probably most people cannot be bothered .Its not going to make you a much better guitarist and its just to show off and pretend you are more discerning than other plebs who buy off the shelf stuff .

Also you have to WAIT !!!!! .Who wants to wait months for guy to chip away at a bit of wood when you can go to a shop and buy something as good .

i for sure understand the patience part of it... and i am by no means saying that buying an assembly line product is wrong...

• Members

i've yet to see anyone from Fender, Gibson, Carvin:blah:
:blah:
:blah: on this board. and, while Jay and Kurt do post from time to time... they ONLY post when it is in regard to THEIR products, i don't ever see them bsing about sports or music or anything else...

are these guys paying you or something? if not, you should try to negotiate something. honestly you talk more about "new dawn" than bg76 talks about ed roman, and thats something

• Members

are these guys paying you or something? if not, you should try to negotiate something. honestly you talk more about "new dawn" than bg76 talks about ed roman, and thats something

no sir, just trying to help a friend get his name out there...

• Members

i told him he missed his calling...dice shoulda been a marketing rep

• Members

If you go to New Dawn's website, they have a program where they pay you to pimp their gear. Not sure how it works, but it gave me instant hesitation when I saw it. I'd say that's where a lot of the love for their products (that no human being on HCEG has touched, or at least reviewed and posted pics of) is coming from. Nothing against the company for trying to get their name out, that's what marketing is all about.. But it just strikes me as shady, for all parties involved..

EDIT: Apparently, you get discounts for "spreading the word".. I think Dice is working on a freebie or something.. :rolleyes:

• Members

If you go to New Dawn's website, they have a program where they pay you to pimp their gear. Not sure how it works, but it gave me instant hesitation when I saw it. I'd say that's where a lot of the love for their products (that no human being on HCEG has touched, or at least reviewed and posted pics of) is coming from. Nothing against the company for trying to get their name out, that's what marketing is all about.. But it just strikes me as shady, for all parties involved..

EDIT: Apparently, you get discounts for "spreading the word".. I think Dice is working on a freebie or something..
:rolleyes:

their discounts are no different than Bryan's, he gives a forum discount, i don't see you calling him shady... and there is more than one member here that has/had Rose Pickups... i actualy have a set of Meriposa's that are going into a Cort strat copy build that i'm going to do when i have time...

• Members

and for the record, i was no trying to turn this into a New Dawn thread... they just happened to pop in my mind when i was thinking about one offs is all... why is it, raven, that you think you know so much more than the rest of the world? i'm not trying to be a dick, and i happen to think you're an alright dude most of the time. but, the condescending bull{censored} is getting quite redundant... i know that i haven't played that long, but i've had the chance to check out lots of gear from a few different price points, and for the money, i'll stick with my low to mid level stuff...

• Members

The reason more people don't go the custom route is because you can get a decent guitar for $200.00-$300.00 where a custom guitar will be over a $1000.00-$10,000.00.

Plus, many of us are married, have kids and other things are more important.

trust me bud, i know all about being domesticated... married 9 years with a 9 year old and a mountain of debt...

Archived