why don't more people go the custom route?

diceman1000

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

as I see it custom guitars; 1) resale as mentioned 2) you have to know exactly what you want..finish, woods, fret #, hardware, scale, shape, etc. 3) If you really want to make something special you'll end up spending what you would pay for such as a gibson or a prs. (i have two gibsons and 2 paul reed smiths). I have built custom guitars before and it was fail on the resale value.

as far as amps go, I have a bogner, the previous owner paid $3,400 for it. I wouldn't pay that. For the price of a custom amp (around $1,300 or so) I got my bogner then I paid for the road case. So in general finding a used boutique amp is quicker and less risky.

• Members

I've been debating a custom guitar for a few years now.

One of the main things standing in my way is the availability of samples of custom work. Aside from Fender's limited custom options, I have experience with ESP, Crews and one or two other small Japanese builders. For pretty much everyone else, I'm relying on photos and highly subjective reviews where the quality of their work is concerned. In a lot of cases, it's not a question on whether or not they're capable, it's a question of whether or not I'll like their interpretation of what I say I want.

• Members

To be entirely honest- there's not a lot that I want that isn't available at retailers.

I absolutely love the Fender Strat. It's all I want for bluesy stuff.

And I love my Ibanez RGs--24 frets, H-S-H, stable double-locking trem, and a classic modern shape.

I guess I'd go custom if I couldn't find what I want, but I'm not that hard to please. :thu:

• Members

Its only now, after years of playing different factory instruments, that I am even remotely capable of knowing what I prefer in a guitar. Buying "off the shelf" gear is a good way of getting "bang for the buck". I can also let the collective experience of millions of players before me help me decide. (Typically I avoid no-name or small-name manufacturers.)

I also completely disagree that when I buy a factory product it isn't mine b/c I didn't design it: I'm not a guitar designer. I'd rather let the experts do that.

You also seem to assume that "custom" gear is by definition higher quality. It seems impossible to know, really, because each piece is different.

All that being said, I'd love to build a Warmoth custom guitar from the ground up. That sounds like fun.

• Members

all simply means plural, not numerous... if there were only ever one QC thread, i would have said the QC thread. maybe it's just from my personal experience, but, i own cheapies, i know they're cheapies, but i instantly connected with all of mine. i didn't have to play 30 of the same model to get a "good" one... doesn't that process seem a little ridiculous?

1 - Some people have more discriminating tastes than that..

2 - Some poeple have played longer than a year..

EDIT: typo

• Members

A lot of people aren't sure what EXACTLY they want in an electric guitar. I know I have my preferences, but I couldn't shoot off a list of the measurements and specs of my dream Strat or whatever.

Also, 'custom' isn't entirely clear - there's some 'custom builders' that use pre-made necks or bodies or whatever, and there's custom builders that make every single part of the guitar. I'm not saying both can't be fantastic, but there's more than one way to go about it.

• Members

Its only now, after years of playing different factory instruments, that I am even remotely capable of knowing what I prefer in a guitar. Buying "off the shelf" gear is a good way of getting "bang for the buck". I can also let the collective experience of millions of players before me help me decide. (Typically I avoid no-name or small-name manufacturers.)

I also completely disagree that when I buy a factory product it isn't mine b/c I didn't design it: I'm not a guitar designer. I'd rather let the experts do that.

You also seem to assume that "custom" gear is by definition higher quality. It seems impossible to know, really, because each piece is different.

I have 2 customs built by the same guy, both way cheaper than the off-the-shelf equivalents (both PRS styles). The builder has samples to view and try out before specs. (and a forty year history of building). Everything is photographed during the build and checked. Anything wrong gets changed during and after the build. I have off-the shelf also and the customs are at least as good in all respects, at around half the price.

The way you know it will be good is to pick someone whose work you can see, and whose rep is good. It is not really a game for novices though as you need to know what you looking at and what is good for you.

• Members

i'm just curious as to why people will spend hard earned money on something that 5,000 other people have when they could have something that is theirs... and no, there may not be that many threads, but i've heard and read entirely too many things to drop $1,000+ on about anything that i didn't have a hand in designing... unless it's a PRS:facepalm:

For the same reason that you would buy a PRS, others desire Les Pauls, Strats, et. al. Most players want something they see that is popular and established first.

After players go through the guitars they have been aware of as classics such as LP's and the like, some get the urge to have a custom version of what they prefer to have in one guitar.

Some choose to have an established company such as Gibson, or whomever, build them one, based on a model the player likes, while other players want their own identity in a chosen guitar.

I have owned many custom shop one-off Gibsons and masterbuilt Fenders which I ordered, based on what I wanted in the guitar. It isn't cheap to do this, and it has been getting riduculous within the last few years to do this with companies such as Gibson and Fender as their prices have gotten way out of control for custom stuff.

I have switched from american guitars to European-built guitars and amps and find them much more to my liking, and with no QC issues whatsoever. The prices, for what I am getting, are also giving me more for my money then american companies are offering, and with options I am not getting from american companies without spending stupidly expensive sums, if these american companies can even give me some of what I want to begin with.

It all comes down to how you think about what you want, and if you are able and willing to spend the money to get it.

• Members

One big issue is that a lota people just have too much GAS, and are scared of buying a guitar that they likely wont be able to resell (or will have to take a SERIOUS hit on). For others, its just too much brand name snobbery and the draw of being able to say "I have a Gibson" or "I have a PRS" is too much to resist.

For me, custom guitars are the only way to go. The non-designed-by-me guitars that I have, I have because I got an insane steal on each of them and just couldn't turn it down, but generally for me it's customs or bust. It's madness in my opinion to pay $2000+ for a Gibson spit-out by a machine that everyone and their mother plays, when for that same money you can get a handmade instrument built according to your exact specs. One of a kind, exactly what you want and nothing you don't. What's not to like?

• Members

i'm just curious. i read all the threads about QC issues with big name/boutique stuff. for the money that most of that stuff costs, why wouldn't a person just have something built to their specs? especialy with options like Ceriatone and Verellen for amps or Mason and New Dawn for guitars... just curious. it just doesn't make much sense to me to take a gamble when you could know exactly what you're getting...

Wouldn't you know what you're getting if you could see it and play it before you get it, rather than giving your spec to somebody and hoping they get it right?

• Members

Apart from a couple of vintage things, I have modified every guitar and amp I own to get the sounds I want, but they all started as off-the-shelf items.

As far as fundamentals like body shape, scale length and neck radius are concerned I actually like the fact that guitars which stray from my "ideal" make me approach playing them in a different way.

If you designed your own signature SuperStrat for example, your flow of musical ideas would be very different if you then wrote a song on something like a Gretsch or Rickenbacker. I guess I'm saying you can get too focused on the "perfect guitar" IMO.

• Members

Wouldn't you know what you're getting if you could see it and play it before you get it, rather than giving your spec to somebody and hoping they get it right?

If you deal with a quality luthier, they always get it right. Once you find someone who can capture that "it" factor for you...stick with it. I've got 3 projects with a single private luthier, and he knows my guitar needs like a doctor knows prescriptions.

Plus if I'm not 100% satisfied (hasn't happened yet), I don't have to pay.

• Members

plenty of people get custom guitars.... two of my electrics are customs.....

however, you basically have about 4 options as I see it

you go with an established custom shop..... that is very expensive, this is a budget centric forum, so dont be expecting too much of this (on the other end, I am very fortunate because I got my CS ESP much cheaper by buying used, and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted built for me, except for the pups and pickguard, and thankfully it was a strat so that was a quick fix)

you go with an established semi-custom shop like Carvin, your options become more limited, but they are well priced, and the resale is not that bad because they are an established brand

you go with an unknown or little known luthier.... you pay less, you can get really cool stuff, but your resale is terrible.... I did this with AJC when he built my les paul for me, its an awesome guitar, probably wouldnt get more than $800 if I sold it though, but thats ok, i dont intend to, its a special guitar for me....

you go with a budget custom builder, so like New Dawn, or those TTM guys.... you dont know what youre getting, its probably less expensive, and the resale value is probably worthless..... so for the cost of a budget custom, IMO you may as well get something nice out of a well established production line

• Members

plenty of people get custom guitars.... two of my electrics are customs.....

however, you basically have about 4 options as I see it

you go with an established custom shop..... that is very expensive, this is a budget centric forum, so dont be expecting too much of this (on the other end, I am very fortunate because I got my CS ESP much cheaper by buying used, and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted built for me, except for the pups and pickguard, and thankfully it was a strat so that was a quick fix)

you go with an established semi-custom shop like Carvin, your options become more limited, but they are well priced, and the resale is not that bad because they are an established brand

you go with an unknown or little known luthier.... you pay less, you can get really cool stuff, but your resale is terrible.... I did this with AJC when he built my les paul for me, its an awesome guitar, probably wouldnt get more than $800 if I sold it though, but thats ok, i dont intend to, its a special guitar for me....

you go with a budget custom builder, so like New Dawn, or those TTM guys.... you dont know what youre getting, its probably less expensive, and the resale value is probably worthless..... so for the cost of a budget custom, IMO you may as well get something nice out of a well established production line

^^^it is wrong to assume that New Dawn is going to be anything like TTM... i have talked to Ken enough to know that he is NOT Lance Benedict^^^

• Members

Although interestingly, some boutique/small company stuff can hold it's value well - although it helps if you know where to sell it (ie TGP) - lots of guys who are well versed in some of the smaller makes. But it seems there is a difference between some of the more well-known builders and getting it done by the dude down the street. Some guys have a name and a following and those guitars hold value well among those who know.

Unfortunately you are always taking a chance for the most part. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I have lots of cool boutique stuff accessible to me (though certainly not everything!) and in my experience most of it is really really good but I have played a couple of amps that haven't been as awesome as I've hoped.

It still comes down to the accessibility...any builder can promise the world to you but the proof is in the pudding. For many people it's hard to plunk the cash and sit out the wait, plus the unknown factor, versus finding a good guitar on the shelf. And a lot of the more common guitars are quite good!

• Members

If you deal with a quality luthier, they always get it right. Once you find someone who can capture that "it" factor for you...stick with it. I've got 3 projects with a single private luthier, and he knows my guitar needs like a doctor knows prescriptions.

Plus if I'm not 100% satisfied (hasn't happened yet), I don't have to pay.

THIS is what I love.

• Members

THIS is what I love.

It's gotten to the point where he'll often do things without asking me (nothing that cant be undone/not used, for instance a custom truss rod cover). If i like it, he throws it in. If i don't, no biggie. When you have that kind of similar mindset with someone, it makes for some truly incredible instruments.

• Members

It's just not the way I buy guitars. I have a couple of custom made, one-off instruments. They just weren't made for me. I got them for pennies on the dollar used, from the people who ordered them, and they're amazing instruments. There are only a handful of builders that I would trust to build me a custom guitar, and all those options are too expensive for me at this point in my life. Maybe someday. For now, I'll continue to bargain hunt nice instruments.

• Members

For the same reason that you would buy a PRS, others desire Les Pauls, Strats, et. al. Most players want something they see that is popular and established first.

After players go through the guitars they have been aware of as classics such as LP's and the like, some get the urge to have a custom version of what they prefer to have in one guitar.

Some choose to have an established company such as Gibson, or whomever, build them one, based on a model the player likes, while other players want their own identity in a chosen guitar.

I have owned many custom shop one-off Gibsons and masterbuilt Fenders which I ordered, based on what I wanted in the guitar. It isn't cheap to do this, and it has been getting riduculous within the last few years to do this with companies such as Gibson and Fender as their prices have gotten way out of control for custom stuff.

I have switched from american guitars to European-built guitars and amps and find them much more to my liking, and with no QC issues whatsoever. The prices, for what I am getting, are also giving me more for my money then american companies are offering, and with options I am not getting from american companies without spending stupidly expensive sums, if these american companies can even give me some of what I want to begin with.

It all comes down to how you think about what you want, and if you are able and willing to spend the money to get it.

+2

I agree 100%. What we are all looking for are the tools of the trade, that we are most comfortable with. Different companies make different tools. Nothing wrong with a specialized tool.

It has always been about the player before the instrument.

Ventures- Mosrite

Hendrix - Fender and Gibson

Angus Young - Gibson

Randy Rhodes - Jackson

George Lynch - ESP

Eddie Van Halen - Kramer

Dime - Dean

Rick Nielson - Hamer

Steve Vai - Ibanez

Some of these players played stock. Some played custom. Some even became synonymously associated with a specific model. Some helped establish the respective manufacturer as a major industry player.

Any way you slice it, they all just had their choice of tools to use. If you can have a custom tool that costs as much as a production tool, why not treat yourself to some individuality.

Archived