why don't more people go the custom route?

diceman1000

• Members

i'm just curious. i read all the threads about QC issues with big name/boutique stuff. for the money that most of that stuff costs, why wouldn't a person just have something built to their specs? especialy with options like Ceriatone and Verellen for amps or Mason and New Dawn for guitars... just curious. it just doesn't make much sense to me to take a gamble when you could know exactly what you're getting...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have specs. I don't know if I would like this kind of neck with that body and those frets with a certain pickup in that kind of wood, so I just try something that seems like it would fit me and I go from there.

I wouldn't know what I'm getting even if I chose all the options. Besides, even a Warmoth would be quite expensive with the options I'd like.

• Members

i'm just curious. i read all the threads about QC issues with big name/boutique stuff. for the money that most of that stuff costs, why wouldn't a person just have something built to their specs? especialy with options like Ceriatone and Verellen for amps or Mason and New Dawn for guitars... just curious. it just doesn't make much sense to me to take a gamble when you could know exactly what you're getting...

Are there really that many threads about QC issues with big name stuff? :confused: Besides the obligatory Gibson bashing I see lots of QC bitching about cheap stuff too. :idk:

Are you really just asking why people don't buy custom stuff instead of Fender or Gibson?

• Members

buying a premade standard guitar is easier and faster, and you can play it before hand. Also, resale value is something to consider too. Unloading a Gibson Les Paul will be a lot easier than unloading a guitar from a small, less known custom builder

not that I'm against customs, just pointing out the other side

then you always have the people who need the name on the headstock

• Members

i'm just curious as to why people will spend hard earned money on something that 5,000 other people have when they could have something that is theirs... and no, there may not be that many threads, but i've heard and read entirely too many things to drop $1,000+ on about anything that i didn't have a hand in designing... unless it's a PRS:facepalm:

• Members

buying a premade standard guitar is easier and faster, and you can play it before hand. Also, resale value is something to consider too. Unloading a Gibson Les Paul will be a lot easier than unloading a guitar from a small, less known custom builder

not that I'm against customs, just pointing out the other side

then you always have the people who need the name on the headstock

this, sir, i understand... you are absolutely right about resale issues...

• Members

Because frickin Atrox doesn't build all the time. He's always turning down work for one thing or another. :lol:

But the real reason is because I plan on doing my own custom build. I've got the basic guitar setup knowledge and understand the instrument pretty well. I just don't know exactly what I want and my wood working skills aren't quite where I am comfortable cutting into a nice piece of mahogany. And for some reason when it comes to painting I tend to suck ass at it.

I'll do one myself when I figure out what I want to build. In the meantime I enjoy the standard stuff a lot. I mean the Les Paul is just a great design all the way around, a tele is about as good as it gets too.

And a lot of times custom stuff is either ridiculously expensive or even more flakey than production line stuff.

• Members

where are all these big name/boutique problem threads?

all simply means plural, not numerous... if there were only ever one QC thread, i would have said the QC thread. maybe it's just from my personal experience, but, i own cheapies, i know they're cheapies, but i instantly connected with all of mine. i didn't have to play 30 of the same model to get a "good" one... doesn't that process seem a little ridiculous?

• Members

this, sir, i understand... you are absolutely right about resale issues...

Depends on the builder. In my experience, resale value has not been a problem. From what I've seen in other forums, it's also not a problem.

The first time I heard about Gustavsson guitars was a few years ago, when someone was asking $18,000 for his. Huber, Driskill, and Ruokangas also come to mind.

I lost money when I sold one of my Melancon guitars, but it had a couple of noticeable scratches. I did not lose any money when I sold another Melancon and 2 Baker B1 guitars.

Quality was definitely better than the typical big-name alternatives, and price was actually cheaper. I actually canceled an order for a Les Paul Custom when I bought my first B1. Unfortunately I could not find the Crucible model.

Some "mainstream" manufacturers can also offer great quality. I've had great experiences with Washburn, Hamer, G&L, Yamaha, etc.

• Members

To answer your question: exposure

Walk into most music stores and what will you find? Generally no boutique or small builders. Fender, Gibson, Epi, Ibanez, etc. To find a lot of these companies you have to do your research and even beyond that often order blind/slight unseen. Sometimes it can be hard to do that when a perfectly decent Fender is sitting on the shelf at your local store.

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck seeking out smaller high-end companies and getting good stuff. At the same time, a friend bought a custom-spec Ceriatone and hated it. And he's {censored} out of luck because it has no resale value now. So it can go both ways.

And I did notice your critique of "boutique" stuff -

1) most boutique stuff is custom to at least some extent

2) What's the difference between a "small builder" (like Verellen) and boutique?

• Members

To answer your question: exposure

Walk into most music stores and what will you find? Generally no boutique or small builders. Fender, Gibson, Epi, Ibanez, etc. To find a lot of these companies you have to do your research and even beyond that often order blind/slight unseen. Sometimes it can be hard to do that when a perfectly decent Fender is sitting on the shelf at your local store.

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck seeking out smaller high-end companies and getting good stuff. At the same time, a friend bought a custom-spec Ceriatone and hated it. And he's {censored} out of luck because it has no resale value now. So it can go both ways.

And I did notice your critique of "boutique" stuff -

1) most boutique stuff is custom to at least some extent

2) What's the difference between a "small builder" (like Verellen) and boutique?

guess i used "boutique" wrong... i stand corrected. i was talking ,ore about paying for something ordinary when you could have something one of a kind...

• Members

I think it's easier and faster to go to the local shop, or MF, and see an axe that catches your eye, click order, or hand over your debit card, bam new guitar.

Custom might be awesome in many ways, but takes time.

I like swapping guitars around, which is why I prefer to buy as opposed to get them built.

• Members

A lot of the ordinary stuff from the "big makers" are quality guitars and great for the price if you can get them used or on sale. Also resale value from small builders isn't good.

I'm not sure I really care about owning a unique instrument. It's your playing and sound that makes you unique. If it was a guitar that made you a guitar player then anyone that played a les paul, strat etc. would just be the same guitar player.

• Members

i'm just curious. i read all the threads about QC issues with big name/boutique stuff. for the money that most of that stuff costs, why wouldn't a person just have something built to their specs? especialy with options like Ceriatone and Verellen for amps or Mason and New Dawn for guitars... just curious.
it just doesn't make much sense to me to take a gamble when you could know exactly what you're getting

you know, if you go to the store and play it first you dont take a gamble not knowing what youre getting...youre holding exactly what youre getting. not to mention, if you order something custom, you cant know exactly what youre getting, because you have not seen or played the axe you just payed for. its so easy to avoid QC stuff if you use my personal rule of holding the exact guitar in your hands before buying.

• Members

people are afraid of the unknown

and resale, as was mentioned- this is the biggest reason- I have many thousands "invested in guitars"- it's nice to know that I can enjoy them but then sell some if I need the $$ without losing my ass. What other hobby will give you like >85% return on your investment consistently (buying used or great deals new).

• Members

If I had a goodly amount of money (which I don't) I would certainly look into getting something custom made. But I'd want to go with someone fairly local to me, someone that I could go talk to face-to-face.

but I suck at playing, so I'm better off spending money on lessons.

I do, however, think the big factors against are (as many have stated):

1) fear of the unknown

2) money (most of the easily findable custom builders are pretty expensive)

3) re-sale value

4) finding a decent custom builder you can get to, and deal with

• Members

I had to wait two years for the one custom guitar I own (my Callaham), so that's one reason. :)

If we're talking about something like a parts-caster, I feel like I can do that myself (and have). Guys that make their own necks, bodies and hardware are a different matter: they generally have a backlog (which means a wait, often a long wait) and are expensive.

Archived