Replacement neck for a Squier Affinity strat

Hotrod Lincoln

• Members

Ok, so I'm a little concerned that the neck on my Squier project might not be good enough. So I'm looking at the possibility of a replacement all maple neck.

Am i going to have fitting issues with the neck pocket from most online retailier? I know the nut width is a tad smaller on the affinities, so i'm guessing the pocket is a bit small too

• Members

I'm doing something very similar with my old affinity squier (no reason to waste the body, even if it does seem to be painted with 1cm of plastic!) - i just measured and i actually think it's the same as fender, about 56mm. Can anyone else verify this?

• Members

Yeah, the Affinity and Bullet series sometimes (probably MOST of the time, by my experience certainly doesn't cover all vintages) slightly more narrow than a standard Fender neck.

I've never done it, but I'd imagine a little bit of time with a sanding block would get the neck pocket opened enough to allow for a standard-sized neck. I'd just take my time, spending maybe 2 minutes per side to keep it centered.

60 grit (40 if you can find it) and a block should get you there.

• Members

I have an Affinity Strat body right in front of me. The neck pocket measures exactly 2 3/16" at it's widest point. Standard Fender size.

I also have a Squier Standard Strat and the pocket is the same. I've switched necks back and forth on those two bodies and they fit fine.

I have a Warmoth neck on the way and I'll report if there are any issues. I doubt if there will be since the pocket measurement is normal.

• Members

I just got a Soft V shaped Mighty Mite neck for my Affinity Squier. It fits tightly but it fits!! I had to gently work it into the pocket. I drilled the holes and screwed it together Wednesday night. It seems pretty close to perfect to me.

• Members

I think 55.5-56.x is pretty standard for Fenders, Squiers and other alot of copies. I just measured a Squier Standard strat and an Indiana and they measure the same. Depends on where you measure the neck pocket. At the front of the pocket, they both measure about 55.5 and at the back, just over 56mm.

• Members

I just replaced a 1996 vintage affinity neck with a MM. The neck pocket is too wide, probably >1mm. And the tuner holes are almost 2x as big, 10mm. Guess my budget refresh of this POS is going to cost me another $50 now for new tuners. FML

• Members

I still say you need to check YOUR neck picket. I've had three Affinities, two of which I tried to swap necks on. One was bigger than the other so... one obviously was smaller than the other.

:lol:

I really like the neck on my current hideous Affinity and I've never tried to swap necks.

• Members

Ok, so I'm a little concerned that the neck on my Squier project might not be good enough. So I'm looking at the possibility of a replacement all maple neck.

Am i going to have fitting issues with the neck pocket from most online retailier? I know the nut width is a tad smaller on the affinities, so i'm guessing the pocket is a bit small too

Are you planning on getting rid of the Squier neck by any chance? :poke:

If you are, I may be interested in taking it of your hands.

• Members

Warmoth....better

USACG....better

Really? I'm no connoisseur, but I played an American strat with a maple neck and I thought it to be utterly butterly. To me the neck is far and away the most important thing on a guitar. I've seen the occasional Warmoth part go on ebay for less than new price where someone has bought them for a stillborn project. My eyes will be more open to this kind of opportunity in the future.

• Members

Affinity Tele or Strat?

Sorry!

I thought I put that in my post. I'm losing my mind! I Put the Mighty Mite neck on My Butterscotch affinity Tele. It is tight, but I'm really digging it so far!!

Archived