How much time do you spend playing other peoples music.

volvo1800

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lots :lol:

I can make up a few little riffs, though... nothing really memorable, but pretty fun. I have this old classical that's standing in for both of my guitars right now, and this afternoon I was up there bangin' out random chords like anything. Fun as. It made a nice break from practicing so hard :D

• Members

I get hired by songwriters to play in their bands, so most of the time I guess. Sometimes it's funny to listen to their snobbery about cover bands, but it's still a cover song to me even if I'm standing on the stage next to the person who wrote it.

• Members

Only when practicing covers for gigs I guess. I usually just play my own stuff on my own time, but that can lead to some laziness too. Figuring out someone else's song or two now and then can be a valuable exercise in new techniques, etc...

• Members

As a working musician in a cover band, all we play is popular music. Still, all the songs sound a little different since we all feel free to put our own spin on them: think Hang on Sloopy as reggie, Norwegian, shed, or anything else that pops into our heads. We can truly boast we never play songs the same way twice- only way to keep a cover band fun!

• Members

Im in a cover band so lots of my playing is certainly learning or tightening up my take of someone elses works.

We have 6 originals that I have written the guitar parts for but pretty much I spend most my time on the 70-80 covers my band plays.

• Members

I've never played in a full on cover band but I've also never played in a band that refuses covers altogether, id say about 20%. Sittin around jammin its prolly more like 35%.

Its fun to learn and play a song you love and pull it off perfectly.

Do you guys fund that if you really like a song, and you can't immidiately tell how to play it, that once you learn it, you like it slightly less? I do that all the time. One of those songs that you'll listen to a few times in a row, then you learn it and it loses that flame. De-mystifies it for me ya know, maybe I should take a cue and quit learning the songs I like.

• Members

Is noodling over a blues I IV V progression playing your own music or someone else's?

How about Travis-picking your own choice of notes over a standard country-rockabilly progression?

Are jazz players who improvise through standards in a fake book playing their own music or not?

A lot of what I do has strong traditional ties, but I have new ideas all the time.

Archived