ABBA - Anni-Frid Lyngsted

GY

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Dancing Queen has some universal hooks alright. When it came out, the "dancing queen" "seventeen" reference had already been done a bunch of times and in fact it had been released so close to the earlier obscure America tune "Rainbow Song" on HatTrick, that I thought everybody was jumping on that rhyme and concept all at the same time.

I see you ABBA, and raise you The Carpenters... :poke:
:p

I have to admit, I definitely was a fan. For whatever reason, their music spoke to me far more than ABBA's ever did. Maybe it was Karen's voice. Not that Fredia and Agnetha aren't good singers... but the dance pop / disco stuff just never worked for me overall. YMMV, and I respect that folks. :)

US Americans don't like it when something is bigger and more succesful then their {censored}.

Really?

Last time I checked, The Beatles and The Stones still aren't US / American bands. ;)

• Members

I have to admit, I definitely was a fan. For whatever reason, their music spoke to me far more than ABBA's ever did. Maybe it was Karen's voice.

They had some good stuff too, uncool though it may be to think so. You just inspired me to go listen to "Goodbye To Love" on YouTube. Lovely song and record.

but also, England is not part of Europe.

To me, that's analogous to saying that just because it's an island (several actually), Japan isn't part of the the Asian continent.

If England isn't part of Europe, then what continent is it? And why are they / how come they were allowed into the European Union / EU? :confused:

• Members
To me, that's analogous to saying that just because it's an island (several actually), Japan isn't part of the the Asian continent.

If England isn't part of Europe, then what continent is it? And why are they / how come they were allowed into the European Union / EU?
:confused:

well, you are in California, how should you know...

Continental European think England is not part of Europe, no matter what a map says, and politically, and also militarily seen, it is more part of the United States of America. Nobody here would be surprised when England would become the next state of the US.

• Members

By 'western harmonic system' I was implying western musical structure. Old-world Africa didn't really have harmony in the sense we mean today, but really, no-one else outside of the tradition did either.

harmony wise, there was nothing new invented, but melodic, and especially rhythmic wise, the black artists started a new era, a modernization, or better a renewal.

• Members

AbbA,....

World's best singers and composers/producers of the last centennial,....

Everyone who ridicules Abba must be out of his or hers {censored}ing mind,....

Listen to their discopgraphy , it's so smart and frikkin sophisticated,... commercially and musically wise there is no bigger or better thing.

They are better than the Beatles.Stones and Elvis all together.

Did'ja notice this guy's location? The Netherlands. Go figure, eh?

• Members

You know, ages ago when I was a huge Elvis C. fan (still am) I read an interview with him and at one point he was talking about his first USA tour and him and his band riding around in a bus and they argued about what music to listen to all the time. Well they seldom agreed, but one of like three or four bands they could all palate was ABBA. This sort of got me out of my guilty pleasure thing with them and admit that I always just loved them!

I love pop music and they are about as pop as you can get. I don't rate them above The Beatles and such but they are definitely peers.

In my old band we did all manner of Beatles, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, etc, etc, etc, but my singer sweetie's little sis would show up sometimes and then we could do ABBA. We did a pretty mean 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' and 'SOS' and it was fun as hell!

One last thing, I always hated disco, all of us 70's rockers did, but although they border lined on it, I never got the disgusting vibes from ABBA. Their songs were some of my absolute favs to come on the radio driving around smoking green stuff in the 70's when I was a lad. :)

• Members

Maybe I should have put it this way:

"It doesn't swing."

Is that better?

Much better.

General information:

A Polka swings when played by a Klezmer musician, but he must be Japanese, or it doesn't do a thing. ABBA didn't swing because Elvin Jones was never the drummer with them. Also Sid Catlett never recorded with ABBA, and Charlie Parker simply refused a generous offer from Benny Andersson because he passed away 17 years before ABBA was founded.

The to a swing factor re-quantized ABBA collection will be relesed in 2017.

• Members

AbbA,....

World's best singers and composers/producers of the last centennial,....

Everyone who ridicules Abba must be out of his or hers {censored}ing mind,....

Listen to their discopgraphy , it's so smart and frikkin sophisticated,... commercially and musically wise there is no bigger or better thing.

They are better than the Beatles.Stones and Elvis all together.

I wish you around when describing my penis to potential new girfirends

Archived