We have a turd in the punchbowl.

docjeffrey

• Members

Well, OK, some of you missed South Park last night, but I really do have an issue, not with sex addiction, but with the high E string on my Gretsch Elliot Easton. It's dead. I've changed it twice. The nut slot appears to be clean. The bridge saddle is fine. The pickup is not the issue. The note just sounds dead, both acoustically and electrically. No sustain, no volume, no nuttin.

The nut is graphite; I've tried both a .010 and an .011. Any suggestions?

By the way, it has a Bigsby, but I can't imagine that being the problem.

gretsch6128.jpg

• Members

you've had this guitar for a while, haven't you? Is this the first time this has happened?

Yes, the problem just started--I've had the guitar for 5 or 6 years. That's why I'm leaning toward the nut having expanded in the dry winter air.

• Members

The entire guitar is defective. There is an alien magician hiding somewhere inside it. I'll take it off your hands for a small fee.

Send it to me quickly before it infects your other guitars.

Honestly, right now, you prolly wouldn't want it.

• Members

You folks came up with several excellent suggestions. I think I'm gonna buy one of those Stew Mac nut kits, because everything seems to be pointing to the nut. Graphite gives me the most headaches (I have three guitars with graphite nuts). Bone works great, so does the plastic that Gibson uses. But with the weather we have in Colorado, I think that I should start making my own bone nuts for all of my guitars.

[YOUTUBE]C2p9-9obYNI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've experienced this several times and the odd thing is, it's NEVER EVER a strat. It's always an LP-ish guitar with one of their wider nuts. I tend to be pretty handy at keeping nuts in good condition (I'm slightly embarrassed to even type that :lol: ) but I've experienced that on maybe 5 different guitars and it's almost always on JUST the high E. I usually just open the slot a tiny bit with some fine grain sandpaper doubled over.

It's a bummer that it's your Elliot Easton. That's one of my very favorite guitars on the forum. I'm not a Gretsch guy, I'm not a Bigsby guy and I'd pretty much never go out of my way to get a green guitar, but like the Dude's rug, it really pulls everything together and as I've said probably 20 times, the rhythm tone on that one original song through the 1974X is one of my favorite rhythm tones ever.

:thu:

• Members

I've experienced this several times and the odd thing is, it's NEVER EVER a strat. It's always an LP-ish guitar with one of their wider nuts. I tend to be pretty handy at keeping nuts in good condition (I'm slightly embarrassed to even type that
:lol:
) but I've experienced that on maybe 5 different guitars and it's almost always on JUST the high E. I usually just open the slot a tiny bit with some fine grain sandpaper doubled over.

It's a bummer that it's your Elliot Easton. That's one of my very favorite guitars on the forum. I'm not a Gretsch guy, I'm not a Bigsby guy and I'd pretty much never go out of my way to get a green guitar, but like the Dude's rug, it really pulls everything together and as I've said probably 20 times, the rhythm tone on that one original song through the 1974X is one of my favorite rhythm tones ever.

:thu:

Thanks, and I agree with your assessment. What happens when the nut is too wide?

Archived