We have a turd in the punchbowl.

docjeffrey

• Members

Thanks, and I agree with your assessment. What happens when the nut is too wide?

Oh... I just meant it always seems to happen on a Gibson type nut which is about twice as wide/thick as a Fender type nut. But I've had it happen with the stock plastic nuts and Graphtech nuts. But I've only installed Graphtech nuts on Gibson type guitars. I've ever installed a bone nut on anything other than a strat and I've never had this problem on a strat ever. Not even on cheapy $50 craigslist strats.

• Members

From time to time I will find a High E just completely dead due to lint wrapped under the string at the bridge or nut. I wipe my strings down after I am through playing. Sometimes I will find a tiny bit of lint wedged under the string at the nut. It doesn't take much.

I also had a dead high E on a straight out of the box, new Highway 1. It turned out the nut slot was too tight and the string was resting on the edges of the nut and not bedded down into the slot. I widened the slot slightly (just drew an exact knife blade down the sides of the slot a couple times) and it was fine.

• Members

This is the punchbowl. I have a JW1345 Alvarez and an Epi 7867 that I would never give up for any name brand guitar.My JW 1345 has a Taco Express p/u in it and it is fabulous. The p/u puts out 7.35 ohms of power thru my Mexicali HQ 149 at 300 watts. I am somewhat disappointed that it dont send out a MG 445 signal because of the pots restrictions. But I am going to change them out as soon as I get the money. I am hoping to achieve an MG 550 signal. I know it doesnt seem like much of a MH siganlboost but thats what Willy uses and I am told that is what Billy Joe Shaver uses. They are hard to come by and cost alot of money. In case you are interested they are available at My Homey- 6659 Arcadia st, Waco, TX. Now, for my Epi 7867. The pots and the output of my 2 Humbuckers dont seem to match. It is like my p/u's are sending out the power but the amp aint picking up the signal correctly. I ruled out the wood and the nut on the guitar, so it must be the DT 924 pots. I have heard that they do restrict the signal anywhere above 667 MH. They only used these for 2 years and I can see why. They eventually changed over to the 875's and no complaints for the output signal. I really dont want to {censored} with the DT's anymore but want to upgrade to the all new 997's, but the routing will be a hassle but it will be worth the sound I get. I wrote Epi and they said the new 997's are wound precisely 101 wraps and therefore the differnce between the overwound 875's. Any comments?

• Members

I had one of these also. It was the oil laden epidermis from my fingers that {censored}ed everything up. The 994 p/u's are very sensitive to any guitar string interference. You should switchout the 994's for some new 996's, they have an interference blocker in them. You can puke on them and still have 445 MH output, and you dont have to router out the guitar body to accomodate them. The Electromatics are real fine guitars, uh huh. I am not sure if this is one. You can rest assured if it is a Gretsch it is a good guitar. Especially if it is a signature model.

• Members

I'd check the fallaway of the nut slot. It should be sloped from neck side to headstock and the string should only be hitting a very small portion in the slot, right where it exits the nut.

And yeah, the South Park episode was awesome. I loved the new Tiger Wood's video game; I almost pissed myself laughing so hard.

Archived