PRS SE Guitars

Ralph onion

• Members

Warning: My opinion is biased..

That being said, I have a PRS SE CU22, and love it. The pickups ARE nice, hot, I've played the semi hollows, and they are really nice. Neck is nice, body is nice, probably need to replace tuners, although they aren't that bad, and I haven't done so yet. The finish is nice. It is MIK (Made in Korea), and has nice and trusting build quality.

• Members

My family gave me a CUS22 SE for my 50th birthday (they knew I would never spend that much on a guitar myself). I liked it so much that I hunted down a used Soapbar II SE.

FirstActVE591006.jpg

Some day I will hunt up a used Semihollow SE in natural. to complete my family.

• Members

Love my Singlecut SE. A few have reported issues with the chrome plating on the bridge flaking off, but that seems to be a pretty isolated issue. I say buy one and rock the crap out of it!

Let me second the damned chrome plating flaking off. Awesome guitar, but the coppery-finish left behind really spoils what should be picturesque.

EDIT: Those with a keen eye will spot the affected area on my custom, to the left (in my pic).

• Members

Let me second the damned chrome plating flaking off. Awesome guitar, but the coppery-finish left behind really spoils what should be picturesque.

EDIT: Those with a keen eye will spot the affected area on my custom, to the left (in my pic).

This one was 5 years old and the hardware looked like new:

EG9-1.jpg

This one was 10 years old and the chrome was fine too.

DSCN2465.jpg

I love the SE's. I had 3 of them. All were very well made and had excellent fretwork and necks.

The only complaint I had was that the nut slots were too tight. That's a very, very easy fix. People complain about the tuners but they're fine. The nut is what causes the tuning problems.

• Members

I think they are decent guitars but I can't get over the non-arched top!

Snorkledick! :poke:

Arch tops are just trimmings. Really, after seeing how well my SX GG1 Jr played/felt/sounded it made me realize that except for jazz boxes, I don't really care if the top is arched, and it appears that the flat tops are the better designs. Ooops, did I type that out loud? Anyways, now at least I understand why Gibson tried to replace the LP with the SG. :cool:

• Members

I bought a PRS SE Custom 22 for about $385 new. The stock pickups are decent ceramic humbuckers. I wish it had coil split. The sound can be a little bit rough and ratty as well as bright.

I swapped pickups to a set of low output hand wound buckers and the sound was still rough and ratty, but too bright (wrong pups for the guitar). But, I learned that the unique bratty sound is due to the body wood and neck. Anyway, I really like the sound because it's unlike anything else I own. It's not as smooth and sophisticated as some axes, but rocks out well.

I have an H sized P90 ready to install in the neck. I may do the same swap with the bridge pickup eventually. Overall, I think the build quality is very good. The body wood seems cheap.

• Members

This one was 5 years old and the hardware looked like new:

EG9-1.jpg

I am NOT a strat fan, but this is one 3 single coil guitar that i would love to have !

Also, i LOVE the SE ONE - GREAT guitar that !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnlipfert/4291351258/sizes/o/

http://www.elderly.com/images/new_instruments/30N/SE1-TS_front.jpg

Archived