The 'There is Still Good Music Out Now!' Thread...

2pacHendrix

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't handle very much rap/hip hip anymore; I went through that phase 8-10 years ago.

Some of my favorite "comtemporary" bands are:

1) The Killers (really versatile group)
2) Red Hot Chili Peppers (they are not a classic band yet)
3) Dave Matthews (his acoustic stuff with tim Reynolds is unreal)
4) Third Eye Blind
5) O.A.R.
6) Muse
7) Weezer

• Members

its always interesting to hear the older folks complain about the new stuff - it sucks - good music is dead. the old days were better.

It's never true. I like classical, metal and the heavy stuff today and appreciate the odd stuff too.

I started out with 60's and 70's music. Liked a good amount of stuff in the 80's, the 90's was a great explosion of new stuff and the 2000's didn't start out all bad. However, The last 5ish years have been like a musical dark age. A lot of what is considered good now would have been less than mediocre in any of the past 5 decades IMO.

I hope there is a new explosion of good music but have yet to see any evidence of that.

• Members

Don't think I'll be taking recomendations of good music from someone who has 2Pac in his screen name.

Actually, 2pacHendrix has really good taste in music and has turned me on to a few great bands. Thanks for your contribution, though.

• Members

Death Cab For Cutie

Tool

Incubus

Eagles Of Death Metal

Quasi

Muse

Broken Social Scene

Feist

Fountains Of Wayne

Ollabelle

Red Molly

Rilo Kiley

Foo Fighters

The Donnas

Queens of the Stone Age

Franz Ferdinand

Jet

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Built To Spill

Them Crooked Vultures

• Members

Don't think I'll be taking recomendations of good music from someone who has 2Pac in his screen name.

Ahhhh, a music elitist. What hip unknown band do you love that you will hate once more than your elite circle of friends is knowledgeable about said hip group?

• Members

[YOUTUBE]efUTCMd9Do8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bSgtiC0IPTU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8WicqQJIxDc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nwvyS7BL3-k&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-fwhnWgimDc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pXXOVRBAWZw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]AZW9NYX6JZA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rWR-jJ3v1pk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gBs-cZs9m8U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0KwDf7wTrPw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7wcbwS5Y4UQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]iKF1xvd5AF4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I love this {censored}! it's my sunday afternoon getting off work music ,sit back spark a fatty and chill.Lovely in Southern Cali :thu::cool:
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
this drummer is bad as hell!!!
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
been getting into papa roach again a few years ago,some good songs
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
buckcherry also
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
i really liked josh todd's solo stuff also
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
and these next 3 bands are no longer together but i still listen to them daily,i just love them.Dgeneration,NY loose,and Maggie's Dream.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Some more {censored} i'm listening to .
Sixx A.M. nikki sixx's new band is awesome!!
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Halestorm
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
i like this cover by paramore
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
I love Imelda May Can't say enough good things about her,she's just awesome
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
ENJOY!!
:)

• Members

I couldn't believe as I went throught the pages to see the Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie, the White Stripes, Papa Roach, Silversun Pickups, MGMT, etc. considered to be good bands. I was expecting to find the Jonas Brothers up there too.

Those were the bands for me that made me say, "music right now is {censored}!" Those types of bands were the main reason why I stopped listening to the radio, which was sort of a good thing because I had to look hard for some good bands/artists that have really changed my life. I learned that the good music is out there, you just got to look for it.

*EDIT: And now Paramore? :facepalm:

• Members

I couldn't believe as I went throught the pages to see the Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie, the White Stripes, Papa Roach, Silversun Pickups, MGMT, etc. considered to be good bands. I was expecting to find the Jonas Brothers up there too.

Those were the bands for me that made me say, "music right now is {censored}!" Those types of bands were the main reason why I stopped listening to the radio, which was sort of a good thing because I had to look hard for some good bands/artists that have really changed my life. I learned that the good music is out there, you just got to look for it.

MGMT is amazing STFU N00B.

• Members
MGMT is amazing STFU N00B.

I'm pretty sure I said I didn't think any of those bands were amazing. I'm not going to get into an argument with a guy who sits behind his computer screen and calls other people "noobs" on a guitar forum. :poke: :lol:

I just checked your Utube page, you almost have the Billy Joel look :thu:.

• Members

*EDIT: And now Paramore?
:facepalm:

So what are your picks, Mr. Impeccable Taste?

• Members

*EDIT: And now Paramore?
:facepalm:

i tend to like all styles of music,that comes form being a musician.
you tend to appreciate the art!
to each his own on what they like or not,i'm sure you feel superior to everyone by putting down their musical tastes,well good for ya, enjoy.
i'm sure you make way better music then the bands you have mentioned or sold more records than PARAMORE.
anyways enjoy your life, i'm sure it's a happy one ,you being so cheerful and all!:thu:
and like i said i still like that cover by paramore ,u didnt change my mind:lol:
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So what are your picks, Mr. Impeccable Taste?

Impeccable? I don't think I ever said the music I like was any better than the others listed, taste is subjective. I can like it for many reasons, good singing, good drumming, good guitar playing, but again, what I may find "good" may not hit you the same way it hits me. Those bands didn't do it for me, why? I don't know, I don't like a lot of their singing, the guitar playing sounded boring. I play the guitar, and I like to learn songs and all that, I just don't find those bands playing very interesting. It's like pop/rap music, the artists seemed to be more focused on their wardrobes and music videos, and in the end the music all sounds the same. Where are the guitar players from our time that are like the Brian Mays of the 70s? I think our generation is definitely lazier than back then, those guys definitely knew their way around their instruments. If there is any genre of music besides like blues and doom stuff that I go back to, it is Classic Rock stuff. There's always some really epic song that was written and you could tell the artists back then took their time to make it sound smooth and it had the energy and the riffs, that's the stuff I would compare our music too.

But whatever, sorry if that came out confusing. I'm sounding like some old guy, and I'm just 17!

I've really been digging these current modern bands:

Bob Log

[YOUTUBE]TevCyeErZUs[/YOUTUBE]

Sleep (technically still together till September)

[YOUTUBE]EkFs9_kytAg[/YOUTUBE]

Witchcraft

[YOUTUBE]YuMe-Aosdu4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zPlsVSmfFtw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

EW

[YOUTUBE]6tNyra2qZT8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Spirit Caravan (i guess temporarily on hiatus)

[YOUTUBE]tXg1qeDZisw[/YOUTUBE]

Junior Kimbrough (RIP - his music really changed my life)

[YOUTUBE]9frcNYP6zZs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
i tend to like all styles of music,that comes form being a musician.

you tend to appreciate the art!

to each his own on what they like or not,i'm sure you feel superior to everyone by putting down their musical tastes,well good for ya, enjoy.

i'm sure you make way better music then the bands you have mentioned or sold more records than PARAMORE.

anyways enjoy your life, i'm sure it's a happy one ,you being so cheerful and all!
:thu:
and like i said i still like that cover by paramore ,u didnt change my mind:lol:

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I simply stated my view on what I think of the current scene and you guys completely turned me into some elitist prick. I'm not going to even go further into this because I never said, "don't listen to this music, this is better than that :blah:"

I am a very passionate guitarist and amateur drummer, there is anything more that I love than hearing a good riff, a good solo. When I "turned off my radio," I found myself getting into all the old delta blues guys, the mississippi slide playing, I loved the energy and the passion. I found bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard, and the Black keys. Those guys all sounded like a blast of that old music I found in rock (EW & Sleep) and the stuff I liked in blues (The black keys) and I completely fell in love with it all. Those bands know how to use atmosphere and I enjoyed their guitar tones and playing styles and then my style completely changed.

Just so you know, when I first started taking classes, the first couple of songs I learned were Weezer, White Stripes stuff. After all that stuff I said above happened, I couldn't appreciate it the same way as I did when I was a novice.

• Members

Just so you know, when I first started taking classes, the first couple of songs I learned were Weezer, White Stripes stuff. After all that stuff I said above happened, I couldn't appreciate it the same way as I did when I was a novice.

This reminds me of something odd I've noticed, and that's musicians not liking music because it's not complex or difficult enough. I'm not accusing you of this, I was just reminded of the phenomenon by the above statement. I don't get it - if the music sounds good, it sounds good, regardless of exactly what chords were used to make it.

Anyway!

I've been thoroughly enjoying this latest Modest Mouse album, No One's First, And You're Next. Like most MM stuff, it's the songs I was iffy on at first that I ended up liking the most - The Whale Song, Perpetual Motion Machine, and King Rat, but they're all pretty solid - The Whale Song in particular really reminds me of classic Modest Mouse. Here's the single, King Rat (It's that one with the bizarre video directed by Heath Ledger [i wouldn't watch this at work]):

Qi7KDOAj4Xo

On the other hand, I was kinda disappointed by this latest Muse album, especially following 2006's excellent Black Holes And Revelations. The lyrics are just pretty contrived and they really didn't try anything different, so it sounds like a band covering itself, if that makes sense.

Spoon's Transference is pretty cool. Those who are turned off by music that isn't technically complicated will hate it, because it's really all about catchy hooks and beats, but Spoon happens to do that sort of thing incredibly well. It doesn't have as many really memorable tracks as albums past, but Written In Reverse is a really fun song.

FLHF5VxcEmg

Andrew Bird put out an album called Noble Beast early last year and it's mindbogglingly great. Bird's been on a roll since Mysterious Production Of Eggs, I swear. Here's Anonanimal - I didn't use the music video because it's actually a different version of the song than what's on the album:

6CRiR52YtjE

Speaking of different versions, I saw him live last year and it's a hell of a show because he composes the tracks differently than studio tracks. Still recognizable, but different. For example, compare these two versions of A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left. Studio first, live second. They're different but both incredibly good, so give 'em a listen:

j1Aha3JjELY

wRk2iHkOcNE

Archived