The 'There is Still Good Music Out Now!' Thread...

2pacHendrix

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't heard of half of these bands but most of them are pretty good.

I don't really listen to any modern music so I don't have any suggestions..

The post with the Kanye West and the other rap was a big thumbs down for me however, I thought this thread was about music?
:cop:
Just my opinion of course

:rolleyes: I knew it would get some hate.

I forgot a bunch of artists, like Stephen Malkmus of Pavement fame.

Matisyahu is one of my favorite:

[YOUTUBE]Buy8dLlfBZE[/YOUTUBE]

Modest Mouse

[YOUTUBE]fVSbZL9ToQM[/YOUTUBE]

Interpol

[YOUTUBE]RNtGYdm2rOY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jkBAUqp6NKg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Qm2oBSCtImg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a band I think everyone should know about. The Warlocks. They have a nice 60's vibe, yet original. Check them out:

[YOUTUBE]M-AC9qN1T_M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_m0pktxTGVU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If you liked the warlocks, check out the black angels.

[YOUTUBE]RT7e843nWfg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Sea Wolf

[YOUTUBE]UBE8gB5JSzU[/YOUTUBE]

Eulogies:

whwoEqkbQIg

Enjoy :wave:

• Members
+1 on Arcade Fire. I was gonna list them also but was afraid of getting flamed.

I'm more of an old school type person when it comes to music.

Classic Rock and Blues is more my thing but I have to say that I'm very impressed by the likes of Arcade Fire and Death Cab For Cutie. I'll also be taking another look at Silversun Pickups.

Threads like this are a Godsend for old farts like me :)

• Members
I'm more of an old school type person when it comes to music.

Classic Rock and Blues is more my thing but I have to say that I'm very impressed by the likes of Arcade Fire and Death Cab For Cutie. I'll also be taking another look at Silversun Pickups.

Threads like this are a Godsend for old farts like me
:)

Yay! :)
May I recommend 'Carnavas' by Silversun Pickups. Great album that you can listen to from first track to last.

• Members

You said bands formed in the 90s up and still going. I'm going to list a few that formed earlier but are still going strong as well. I can't provide links/vids as my comp. crashed and I'm on my phone. Slayer, GWAR, Devildriver, OTEP, Archenemy, In This Moment, Rammstein, Mastodon, Dying Fetus, Six Feet Under, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, Five Finger Death Punch, some Nonpoint, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold. I know I've left some out, but this is a good starting point.

• Members

Yeah, who woulda thunk that people like different things. It's crazy ain't it?

No, it's your opinion. However, I share the same opinion as aenemated (although I think his thread [omg my ultimate guitar day was really 2 years ago] should be blown to the moon). Modern "rock" is way overdone and takes itself way too seriously. It's what happened to rap and R&B. You have this angsty side of rock coming out now with these artists with pretentious names and all this silly stuff. It's really hard to take seriously.

I remember reading something in the news about Meg White or being in my senior year of high school about Meg White. My initial reaction was Who the {censored} is Meg White and why should I care? I was informed she was the drummer of that band The White Stripes, which are not to my tastes, and they have that song I don't know what it's called, the one with the bass drum only. I laughed and told my friends "Good, maybe in the next single she can learn how to use the rest of her kit." along with the rest of this sort of music.

The real tragedy is that there is so much good music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that nobody knows about because the radio went gestapo on everyone and only played hits. There is a lot of good music and artists from that era to be discovered and this era is all about market saturation and image. Not very promising, at least to my ears.

Take for instance The Band, King Crimson, or Rush. I would have never known about these bands if I hadn't done some real searching. Example: people think Rush are some cheesy 80s pop-rock band that hits some kind of Moog synth button over and over again and that's it. Couldn't be more further from the truth.

And then there are artists that are new and upcoming that have real classic rock sensibilities but with a modern timeliness, as aenemated has shown, but they'll never make it super-duper big like the White Stripes or whatever the hell. It's all about image now and not sound. Everything is underground and you need a backhoe to find it. A sad state of affairs indeed.

• Members
One is not better or worse. Just different.

Funeral has some really powerful songs that excite you, but Neon Bible is really emotional and dark. You can sense it in the way it was recorded too. Neon Bible is recorded darker and muddier and you can't always catch all the vocals.

So what it comes down to is, Funeral is better for individual songs, whereas Neon Bible is the better overall album. It's a much larger production.

Either one is fine to start with.
:thu:

I prefer Neon Bible. They are both very good though. The National's album is so great too, whoever nominated that - I can listen to that back to front several times in a week and not get bored. So much atmosphere, emotion and superb songs.

• Members

Most of the stuff in this thread is not for me, but to each his own I guess.

The drive by truckers
[YOUTUBE]kaF_-tirFeU[/YOUTUBE]

jason isbell (formerly of the truckers) and the 400 unit
[YOUTUBE]wdjDoCxHlWc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hcx3Vt3aAwA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HTKrtftHCv4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

No, it's your opinion. (truncated)

Yeah we'll have to agree to disagree. There have always been bands that take themselves too seriously. 90's grunge (which I like anyways), 90's indie, (stuff I listened to in my heyday). If you just focus on the rock you see on MTV or on Clear Channel, then yeah that's all you are gonna find. However in these modern times we have a thing called the internet and in 15 minutes of searching I could find a couple hundred bands that nobody has ever heard of. It's as easy as hell to discover new music, I don't even have to leave my living room. Join some message boards, do some searching, and keep your eyes open.

The truth is, that this is the greatest time in the history of music for independent bands. The record companies are in their death throes, at least until they come up with a business model that makes sense in 2009, It's as easy as hell to distribute music (and dirt cheap), and bands like Radiohead and Collective Soul have proven that you can bypass the record companies and still turn a buck. Hell I download independent musicians like Lionel Neykov from Itunes all the time.

How could you have never heard of King Crimson or Rush? You don't think either of those two are mainstream? How can you mention pretentious music and Rush in the same post and not connect the two? I may be stepping on more than a few toes but that {censored} is about as pretentious as rock music gets.

Who would have ever heard of this kid 20 years ago? If you have talent you are gonna get noticed. I found this kid just browsing youtube. Like I said his stuff is on Itunes. Crooner style with great writing skills.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Or Terra Naomi. One of my favorite songwriters and independent musicians. This chick rocks my socks. Who would have heard of her 15 or 20 years ago, and she didn't even have to sell her soul to get a record deal. Gets thousands of hits on youtube.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
should be blown to the moon). Modern "rock" is way overdone and takes itself way too seriously. It's what happened to rap and R&B. You have this angsty side of rock coming out now with these artists with pretentious names and all this silly stuff. It's really hard to take seriously.

Sure there are bands who take themselves too seriously, but they are making music for a living and it's their job and they are in a business, so not everything is going to be all jolly.

I remember reading something in the news about Meg White or being in my senior year of high school about Meg White. My initial reaction was
Who the {censored} is Meg White and why should I care?
I was informed she was the drummer of that band The White Stripes, which are not to my tastes, and they have that song I don't know what it's called, the one with the bass drum only. I laughed and told my friends "Good, maybe in the next single she can learn how to use the rest of her kit." along with the rest of this sort of music.

Well, it sounded good I think Meg White made a sacrifice for the sake of music. She did something really simple and it sounded good. Music is not only about showing off your abilities. Yeah she could've gone bizzare on the drums, but it wouldn't of sounded right.

The real tragedy is that there is so much good music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that nobody knows about because the radio went gestapo on everyone and only played hits. There is a lot of good music and artists from that era to be discovered and this era is all about market saturation and image. Not very promising, at least to my
ears

Um... Every era is about marketing. It's how bands get known. Many indie bands are being featured in commercials and people are going to itunes to find out what song they just heard. In the 60's, no one knew who The Velvet Underground were, but now more people know about them because they were so influential. There are many underground bands waiting to be discovered and thanks to the internet they don't need to sell out to commercials and all that stuff.

Take for instance The Band, King Crimson, or Rush. I would have never known about these bands if I hadn't done some real searching. Example: people think Rush are some cheesy 80s pop-rock band that hits some kind of Moog synth button over and over again and that's it. Couldn't be more further from the truth.

Don't forget about T. Rex, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Little Giant, The Psychedelic Furs, Screaming Trees, etc... they were pretty well known back then, but get forgotten over time. But then an indie band lists them as their influence and then the fans discover the old bands great music just because that indie band said they were influenced by them. It's a never ending circle.

And then there are artists that are new and upcoming that have real classic rock sensibilities but with a modern timeliness, as aenemated has shown, but they'll never make it super-duper big like the White Stripes or whatever the hell. It's all about image now and not sound. Everything is underground and you need a backhoe to find it. A sad state of affairs indeed.

Not true. As I stated before we have the internet, commercials and whole bunch of ways for bands to be known without having that 'image.'

There are a bunch of great bands you need to search for because they are not mainstream, but don't look at it as a sad affair, look at it as an adventure for fresh music. :)

• Members

Whoo! Whoo! All aboard the OT train ;)

2pacHendrix: The best way I can describe that White Stripes (or the White Stripes as a whole) song/single is like this:

Mac is to PC as White Stripes are to music.

They're not the only guilty party but they're a very good example.
In regards to marketing, I mean, record companies are signing bands on what they think people will want. By people, I mean the lowest common denominator, so they can sell more. It's always kind of been that way, but more now than ever.

I don't really see the point in arguing in matters of taste, you can like it, but to my discriminating ears most of it is drivel. I wish I could have heard all those videos but the sound for them doesn't work (perhaps I need a flash update).

What is worth stating is the double-edged sword of this anti-record company business. The internet and all this communication makes record companies dead in the water, great. The problem is the record companies also pushed and promoted the things they tried to sell. No advertising = you have to look for yourself. I'm not complaining and I'm not lazy. It just so happens when I look, I don't find anything I like. Once in a blue moon, I'll actually find something "good" (subjective), so this is an obvious downside to the atypical ZOMG RECORD COMPANIES R BAD argument.

But don't take it the wrong way, I'm not one of these old people who think so-and-so is the epitome of music and nobody can do better so I'm gonna listen to his work on repeat, it's just that I want to find good music and I'm just not getting any.

The past four modern good musical things I've had interest in:
video game music (Nobuo Uematsu)
more video game music (Silent Hill series)
Paul Gilbert
a Finnish metal band called Airut

:idk:

• Members

Whoo! Whoo! All aboard the OT train
;)
(truncated)

So...if you don't have the record companies shoving the music they think is going to sell millions of copies down your throat, then all of a sudden good music is dying. Again...how could you not be aware of a band as big as Rush? That's like saying I wouldn't know who the Beatles were unless I dug around on the internet for hours and hours.

Either you aren't looking in the right places, you are a music snob that thinks everything is beneath you, or you are lazy.

No offense. It's all in my humble opinion and I'm an asshole.

Knowledge is your friend. Do yourself a favor and read the link.

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

• Members

Those of you who like Death Cab might also enjoy the other project with the same singer (Ben Gibbard): The Postal Service

[YOUTUBE]XVB1UBSe7fY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]hMOkfI7wCrI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]gEILFf2XSrM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Whoo! Whoo! All aboard the OT train
;)

2pacHendrix: The best way I can describe that White Stripes (or the White Stripes as a whole) song/single is like this:

Mac is to PC as White Stripes are to music.

They're not the only guilty party but they're a very good example.

In regards to marketing, I mean, record companies are signing bands on what they think people will want. By people, I mean the lowest common denominator, so they can sell more. It's always kind of been that way, but more now than ever.

Jeeeeeezuzzzz.

I don't care if it's over-used. I gotta use this icon.

:facepalm:

The White Stripes are one of the best bands going on right now. Jack White is an absolute songwriting genius and guitar god. Watch the new documentary coming out with him and Jimmy Page (and the Edge) trading riffs and talking music history and then maybe come back to this thread a little wiser.

Meg White is a fantastic example of somebody SERVING THE MUSIC. The whole point of the White Stripes as a band project is to emulate the pre-30s phenomenon of the fife & drum blues combos, within the context of modern punk rock. The purpose of the drums, as it was back in the day in those bands, is not time-keeping but to provide accents to the lead players, who are free to stray from a set tempo.

Meg plays freely and very sloppy... and the White Stripes would not sound as half as good if she didn't.

Here's the clip I always fall back on when somebody hates on the White Stripes. If you don't get it after listening to this, maybe you never will.

Not only is an outstanding performance by Jack, but the vast majority of bar-band drummers out there would have NO HOPE of following him through all this.

A lot of people criticize her because she's following him, and that's not normally what rock drummers are "supposed" to do, but it's a big part of the reason they don't have a bass player. They made a deliberate style choice to unteather Jack's guitar playing from the mandate of the drums, and the results are... well... here you go:

[YOUTUBE]-t1_ETuWIbE[/YOUTUBE]

Archived