The 'There is Still Good Music Out Now!' Thread...

2pacHendrix

• Members

Yep :)

It's true. I keep hearing people say 'It's much better than the crap we have now', 'Music now sucks, I wish I grew up with this music' and the most disappointing 'Music is dead now' So I wanted to start this thread to prove to people that there is still rad music out now! This will not be a thread were you come in and say there is no good music out now and badmouth what others have posted, this is a thread to expand you musical horizons and maybe get you to like a new band.

So, feel free to post what modern bands you are listening to, and yes hip hop, rap and pop is allowed because it's all just music. Oh and modern to me is bands form in the late 90's and 2000 and up and if they're still together and touring.

So, I'll go first with some of my personal favorites:

Silversun Pickups (SSPU for short) Gotta love this band! Fuzzy guitar riffs, a unique singer, and outrageous drumming, seriously who doesn't love that? I'll start with their most famous track 'Lazy Eye'

[YOUTUBE]z-mxBDuRaZ8[/YOUTUBE]

Let's start out with some calmer stuff

[YOUTUBE]2YiUXl0TwR8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DVJoowGX4jE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]2bitgQxheo8[/YOUTUBE]

Alright, let's get dirty!!!

[YOUTUBE]ziR2EaQOSjU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DmE57YE3pSc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZwIy6CJT7Ok&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm also really liking Say Hi to Your Mom (I know, I know, GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!)

Smooth vocals, haunting synths, it's like techno if you were to slow it down a bunch.

Super

Pop Music of the Future

Let's talk about Spaceships

These Fangs (Personal Favorite)

Right on. Next we have MGMT. I don't know one person at my school who doesn't like 'em. But you guys are a tougher crowd.

I'll start with 'Kids' their best song and it was rated #2 for best song of 2008. I love it! This is a band I would have never thought I would like, but they are so catchy. I won't put 'Time to Pretend' in there because they have better songs.

[YOUTUBE]bIEOZCcaXzE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]m_-Gld700LE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Death Cab for Cutie. Their soo catchy and I love the singer's voice. I used to hate them, but they're really good if you actually listen.

[YOUTUBE]s9JB2ETgatI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4hHbVvTuuV4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JmS0Kjxs2v4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gnImALEb6QI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Kings of Leon. If you like 70's rock check out their early work. I'm not a fan of anybody making music based around a certain time that already happened, I like it to be more original and fresh. Here are a few early songs I like:

[YOUTUBE]CAmXdPXKyhI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3-YUAVXXlSM[/YOUTUBE]

Now for the newer stuff. Imo 'Only by the Night' was the best album of 2008. They really cleaned up their act and are still making great music.

[YOUTUBE]LBZsGsie5uI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uplzeKCUOVw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3if6HY_RUqw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EZyGWg0uqkw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Other good stuff:

[YOUTUBE]scJ8ITsZsl4 [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]__HQGvSqZ5I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hyE-0B_zOi0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4tqvbgads1E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vUJNW2lLhfg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zKnPT38f64g&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]q1hZVDLkJDc[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway just post whatever you like that is modern! I'll make sure to give it a listen.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't feel like finding videos, but a ton of what I listen to is modern

This is basically all within the past 10 years, although some of the bands formed earlier and just carried on into the new millenium

The Unicorns

Rilo Kiley

The Shins

The Mountain Goats

Guided by Voices

The White Stripes

Chad Vangaalen

The Black Keys

Sufjan Stevens

Clues

Islands

and all of that is a hell of a lot better than most of the 70's rawk gawd rock and 80's hair metal that many of the people on this board are hung up over

• Members

NOW FOR THE RAP: WARNING, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD HEAR ON RADIO STATIONS!!

I'm thinking Asher Roth is gonna be big. Listen:

[YOUTUBE]bjT-xt7SsWY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Nte02vd6qCM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]K5cDTYkuyJE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VmZoJjsAJqk[/YOUTUBE]

Kanye West. Even though his head is up his ass, he's amazing.

[YOUTUBE]uvb-1wjAtk4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]53NrAbjvL_4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]T7KnBnlqOv4[/YOUTUBE]

Lupe Fiasco, if you like smooth (And I mean smoooooth) beats and want to chill out, Lupe can help you. He's the guy you would put on if you had a stressful day or something, not much dancing going on with him. Forget everything you know about hip hop, forget the name-calling, the egos, the disrespect for women etc, and just chill out and listen to him. He's the complete opposite of what mainstream radio is producing:

[YOUTUBE]6tRgo5CEk3c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KUQoi3tJEYw[/YOUTUBE]

And Charles Hamilton. He sounds like nothing I've ever heard before. I was shocked with how fresh this kid is:

[YOUTUBE]_wPFskQI56Q[/YOUTUBE]

Pharoahe Monch, another fresh alternative hip hop mc. His rhymes are really tight:

[YOUTUBE]2FoPZ0PZ32w[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy :cop:

• Members

I really dig Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco.

For some reason, I despise that I Love College song. I could get into 'why,' but that'd be pointless.

I also hate Kings of Leon. :mad:

Good music? People In Planes is an example of such.

I think the singer is the original songwriter, and he's great at it. If he's not, he's a god damn great singer anyways.

Check them out. Pretty Buildings is one of my favorites by them.

• Members

The Enemy:

[YOUTUBE]7ZCVds_Q3WE[/YOUTUBE]

Arcade Fire:

[YOUTUBE]DEKC5pyOKFU[/YOUTUBE]

Against Me!:

[YOUTUBE]bmbeesDX4UE[/YOUTUBE]

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir:

[YOUTUBE]XDsdo0duk6s[/YOUTUBE]

Fake Problems:

[YOUTUBE]h_3viqe8Ryw[/YOUTUBE] (kinda crap quality, but a great song)

The National:

[YOUTUBE]RnI28bdZylM[/YOUTUBE]

Monotonix:

[YOUTUBE]XmEHu-QAgNE[/YOUTUBE]

Saul Williams:

[YOUTUBE]l1llNYAlYrc[/YOUTUBE]

... of course there's much more, but this is a pretty general list. Yes there will always be good music. But as long as self-serving corporations run the radiowaves, only what the majority likes will rise to the top. Y'know... kids with their crazy music.

• Members

Yey, I love posting videos!

Alright, I'm going to start off with another vote for the Arcade Fire. Their album cover used to be my avatar....and I saw them live a couple years ago. They've changed music far more than anyone realizes in the past four years they've been a band. Christ Martin of Coldplays admits to copying their style on their most recent album.....but no more Coldplay! There's no way to describe what it's like to be there in concert. I literally get the chills when I think about it. If they make one more album on par with their last two, I have no fear in claiming them to be the greatest band of all time. Yeah, they're that good:

[YOUTUBE]NNfWC4Sgkcs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]i-7AwA1Xp_0[/YOUTUBE]

Now Andrew Bird. To me, he's like the Arcade Fire in one man. He's the most talented musician I know of:

[YOUTUBE]wLyQgBFl7mc[/YOUTUBE]

Now for the Decemberists.....a really great band I saw live a few years ago and they performed flawlessly....I even got to help them out during the show reenacting an old war scene. Very fun, melodious music.

[YOUTUBE]Cm-ymmAjHwI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tK3Ce9md96g[/YOUTUBE]

For some fun pop stuff, nothing beats LCD Soundsystem...I got to see them with the Arcade Fire whom they opened for, and it was such a dance party:

[YOUTUBE]kaYsczkWti0[/YOUTUBE]

Peter Bjorn and John is another favorite of mine.....they sort of remind me of the Rolling Stones with more pop to them:

[YOUTUBE]xLrpLpEnObk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZxVRhcLXftg[/YOUTUBE]

Again, Sufjan Stevens is wonderful for some folk/rock.....nothing beats his voice on a quiet afternoon:

[YOUTUBE]zjllcAmngpA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Sgt7G1BYZmg[/YOUTUBE]

If you need any more recommendations, let me know!:thu:

• Members

of course there is still good music out there. there always has, and always will be. whether mainstream radio or tv will ever catch on again is one thing, but people that say "they just dont have anything good anymore" are just lazy people that arent even scratching the surface.

• Members

its always interesting to hear the older folks complain about the new stuff - it sucks - good music is dead. the old days were better.

It's never true. I like classical, metal and the heavy stuff today and appreciate the odd stuff too.

• Members

its always interesting to hear the older folks complain about the new stuff - it sucks - good music is dead. the old days were better.

It's never true. I like classical, metal and the heavy stuff today and appreciate the odd stuff too.

Right.....I appreciate the old stuff, but I really love all the new independent stuff coming out. It's not like I just want to be an "indie kid", 'cause I guess I'm really not, but all the music I like happens to be a part of the indie genre right now. I really hope mainstream gains more creativity and better melodies.

Right now, rap and country are the ones taking the lead, and I want to say this respectfully to those who really love it, but it's hard to listen to it when each song sounds painfully too much like the last one I just heard.(I realize this doesn't account for all of those genres, but a lot of it)

I don't know where we're headed. With all the music you hear in commercials going indie, I wouldn't be surprised if mainstream becomes better influenced by indie music.

• Members

Which Arcade Fire album is better, Neon Bible or Funeral? Or are they both worth it? Also, I forgot about this guy:

One is not better or worse. Just different.

Funeral has some really powerful songs that excite you, but Neon Bible is really emotional and dark. You can sense it in the way it was recorded too. Neon Bible is recorded darker and muddier and you can't always catch all the vocals.

So what it comes down to is, Funeral is better for individual songs, whereas Neon Bible is the better overall album. It's a much larger production.

Either one is fine to start with.:thu:

• Members

Right.....I appreciate the old stuff, but I really love all the new independent stuff coming out. It's not like I just want to be an "indie kid", 'cause I guess I'm really not, but all the music I like happens to be a part of the indie genre right now. I really hope mainstream gains more creativity and better melodies.

Right now, rap and country are the ones taking the lead, and I want to say this respectfully to those who really love it, but it's hard to listen to it when each song sounds painfully too much like the last one I just heard.(I realize this doesn't account for all of those genres, but a lot of it)

I don't know where we're headed. With all the music you hear in commercials going indie, I wouldn't be surprised if mainstream becomes better influenced by indie music.

I hope not. I mean it wouldn't be indie if it was mainstream, but if it does start to influence the marketing of businesses and stuff like that and everybody will cash in on the indie scene, it'll kind of wreck it's underground credibility. I think we should embrace indie as is, right now because if it does go mainstream it won't be the same. Like the counter-culture in the 60's, it was new in the begining, but then the media got a hold of it. Sure it was mainstream, but it got old fast. It will be interesting to see what music will be like in the years to come, though.

• Members

Loving the Arcade Fire links.

This thread needs some (more) Dresden Dolls.

[YOUTUBE]psQoVCA9GTI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]stpU7q9nlg0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TJ9tiyzXU30[/YOUTUBE]

and some Franz Ferdinand.

[YOUTUBE]25sBhhOR4lw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]31sZ9xZr_Ew[/YOUTUBE]

oh, and some Goldfrapp.

[YOUTUBE]3wEzPgXOaHg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KF0P_WKdqbU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Y2WUgOJRmEQ[/YOUTUBE]

Archived