The only real difference between a good engineer and a hack is...

• Members

That's it with me as well. I approach it from a musician's point of view, and the recording process, as much as I've come to enjoy it, is a means to an end...the end being to make the most amazing, emotional music possible, having the recording enhance rather than hinder that process.

Yep, that's what I consider myself personally as well. I got into recording primarily because I was having a hard time as a musician capturing the sounds that I wanted in the studio, and I considered the production to be an extension of the musicianship. Or it can also be a hindrance to it as you say. Either way, I'm a musician first and a, ummm, "person who knows how to set up microphones and record and mix stuff" :D second.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What's a first time visitor to think when he/she walks into an Imbroglio like this one? huh, huh, huh?

I hope they think there are many ways to do things and not all agree on how to go about it. Mostly I hope they see how right I am. :poke: ;)

• Members
Yep, that's what I consider myself personally as well. I got into recording primarily because I was having a hard time as a musician capturing the sounds that I wanted in the studio, and I considered the production to be an extension of the musicianship.

I got into recording because it seemed like a completely different avenue for creativity. Plus, I grew up recording. I started recording myself on cassette decks before I was 10, started multitracking when I was about 13, and it all just snowballed from there.

But unlike a lot of folks, I didn't start recording just because I wanted to capture myself. I honestly loved (and still do to a degree) the art/science aspect of it. I like recording anything, from rock bands to classical concertos to tribal drums to techno beats. I love it all. :)

• Members
I got into recording because it seemed like a completely different avenue for creativity. Plus, I grew up recording. I started recording myself on cassette decks before I was 10, started multitracking when I was about 13, and it all just snowballed from there.

But unlike a lot of folks, I didn't start recording just because I wanted to capture myself. I honestly loved (and still do to a degree) the art/science aspect of it. I like recording anything, from rock bands to classical concertos to tribal drums to techno beats. I love it all.
:)

I did that too. I made funny recordings with a cassette when I was a kid, making interviews in which the person answered from snippets from a song, similar to the "Welcome to the LBJ Ranch" sorts of interviews that people did in the '60s. My Dad had that LP, which is what made us do it years later!!!

I also eventually got two cassette players, and used to record something, play that back while recording something else, etc. to create things that sounded like an audience cheering or lots of people saying the same thing at once or overdubbing instruments or whatever.

It was something fun to do when I wasn't playing basketball or playing piano.

• Members
Rudy has offered/threatened/demanded to leave SSS about 742 times, Luke. No worries.

746 by my count Zak...but we tally a little 'dif' here in the States.

I'm taking in consideration,my secondary calculation of the Metric System,
To please and placate Angelo, who seems to be having a rough time of it in Taiwan,
What with all those beautiful young women running 'round him playing instruments and all.:thu:

• Members

Funnily enough, I did all that too. But for a long time I didn't really make the connection between that and what people did in "real studios"... if that makes any sense. :D Ping ponging with cassettes and stuff was, as you say, a fun and creative outlet. But the reason I decided to take it more seriously was because when I actually started caring about sonic fidelity and production values, I was often frustrated. And I considered the whole process of learning about different types of mics and signal flow and consoles and outboard gear and all that to be a completely different animal than the home recordings I enjoyed. The fidelity and getting things to sound good was the thing.

• Members

I got into recording partially because of what I mentioned before, partially because I thought it was fun, and partially because I saw my friend drop $10,000 on his record which made me think, "Wow...you can buy a lot of gear with $10,000...and you can then record again and again!!"

• Members
I believe California is still part of the States unless something funny's happened while I've been working!
:D

Much of the rest of the country wishes we weren't. :D

But I think Luke was referring to Rudy's residences in Switzerland, China, Zimbabwe, and the Outer Hebrides. ;)

• Members

And I considered the whole process of learning about different types of mics and signal flow and consoles and outboard gear and all that to be a completely different animal than the home recordings I enjoyed. The fidelity and getting things to sound good was the thing.

I certainly appreciated the new-found fidelity from working with "professional" gear when I first started, but I didn't necessarily enjoy the trade-off of creative freedom I'd experienced with a couple of cassette decks in my bedroom. I could record better sounding stuff in any decent studio, but I missed the vibe of having no clock to watch, no people waiting their turn in the hall, and so on.

It's only been recently -- working at Phil's place -- that I kind of got my cake and ate it too in that regard. :)

• Members
I believe California is still part of the States unless something funny's happened while I've been working!
:D

Uh, yeah, what you said...I thought I was in Taiwan..
No, No,No, I don't think I'm in China, Officer, I'm in the good ol' U S of A, Yepperie....

How many fingers are you holding up Ossifer?
Thass easy......

Tuesday.:thu:

• Members

I certainly appreciated the new-found fidelity from working with "professional" gear when I first started, but I didn't necessarily enjoy the trade-off of creative freedom I'd experienced with a couple of cassette decks in my bedroom. I could record better sounding stuff in any decent studio, but I missed the vibe of having no clock to watch, no people waiting their turn in the hall, and so on.

Sure, but I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't consider it a trade-off so much - I just considered them two totally separate things and I liked both.

• Members
Sure, but I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't consider it a trade-off so much - I just considered them two totally separate things and I liked both.

I like both too, but as a musician (not an engineer), I prefer the more laid-back environment. As an engineer (not a musician), I prefer having the best of all available tools at my disposal without worrying about big compromises.

It's tough finding the right situation for both roles... which is why I really love working with other engineers/producers and focusing on playing and singing lately. Someday I may reverse that and get back to recording other people.

You never know. In fact, all I know is that I never know. :)

Archived