So here's a trite, derivative new song from me... ;)

• Members

With all this jabber about Autotune and canned drums and whatnot, I realized that it's been awhile since I'd posted any new music of my own here. So here's a little something off our next CD, which kinda represents the antithesis of all that we've been discussing.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2682680

This is definitely the most "Luddite" track on the CD... it was recorded completely live in the studio, on 2" tape, including vocals. And no headphones. The only overdub was the lead guitar. I did mix it in Reaper and even threw some loudness maximizer on the MP3. :D But there's no pitch correction, no editing together of multiple takes, no cutting and pasting, no quantizing, etc.

So I'm sorry if it offends Craig's ears cuz he's heard it all a million times before ;), and the rest of you may or may not think it sucks and I'm living in the Stone Age, but I don't think anyone could possibly mistake this stuff for amp sims or canned drums :p ... nor think that we were just phoning it in.

Hope you enjoy, if you're into this sort of thing!

• Members

With all this jabber about Autotune and canned drums and whatnot, I realized that it's been awhile since I'd posted any new music of my own here. So here's a little something off our next CD, which kinda represents the antithesis of all that we've been discussing.

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2682680

This is definitely the most "Luddite" track on the CD... it was recorded completely live in the studio, on 2" tape, including vocals. And no headphones. The only overdub was the lead guitar. I did mix it in Reaper and even threw some loudness maximizer on the MP3.
:D
But there's no pitch correction, no editing together of multiple takes, no cutting and pasting, no quantizing, etc.

So I'm sorry if it offends Craig's ears cuz he's heard it all a million times before
;)
, and the rest of you may or may not think it sucks and I'm living in the Stone Age, but I don't think anyone could possibly mistake this stuff for amp sims or canned drums
:p
... nor think that we were just phoning it in.

Hope you enjoy, if you're into this sort of thing!

Thanks Lee. I`m starting to think you are Craigs alter ego.

• Members

Cool tune. Thanks for posting!

Here's my $.02+

I love the feel of the tune, especially the rhythm guitar part and the busy drums. The bass part may be great too, but I listened on my laptop and it unfortunately has very little bass response.

I liked the guitar solo a lot! However, as a guitarist also, I would have liked it even better if it had been MUCH louder, like about 6 dB louder! Plus, without the rhythm guitar there, I think it could take a much louder volume without destroying it.

RE technology:

I'm really glad you didn't do any time quantizing. That would have ruined the raw feel.

The compression you applied wasn't obvious or offensive. Great job.

I'm not a purist at all. I'd be interested to hear the same tune but with some subtle pitch correction on the vocal. If you're really brave, maybe send the tracks to Craig and let him try adding subtle pitch correction to the vocal. Then, after he's done, post both versions and see which one people like better. With such a raw feel, I might prefer the uncorrected version, but I'd love to hear them both just for grins.

• Members

Oy nice tone on that guitar, like biting into a nice crunchy juicy power line....what's the rig?

Hmm... IIRC it was the gold top LP thru an MXR Micro Amp, then a Morley wah pedal cranked all the way to the treble position, then my Echoplex, into my '65 Fender Pro Reverb.

I tried a bunch of different things but I'm pretty sure this was the final configuration. :D

• Members

I liked the guitar solo a lot! However, as a guitarist also, I would have liked it even better if it had been MUCH louder, like about 6 dB louder!

Freakin' guitarists. ;)

I'm not a purist at all. I'd be interested to hear the same tune but with some subtle pitch correction on the vocal.

Not going to happen. :D

Glad ya enjoyed the tune though!

• Members

In fact, she told me that she used a POD that had been inexplicably thrown in the dumpster in New York!!!!
:D

HAHA!

I actually do own an original POD. I haven't thrown it in the dumpster, but like Ernest I just can't bring myself to unleash it on someone else who might actually use it. :D And I do, occasionally, use it to get an intentionally cheesy effect. Usually not on guitars. I'm in a side band that does a lot of goofy comedic stuff, and the POD is actually good for some of that.

• Members

So I'm sorry if it offends Craig's ears cuz he's heard it all a million times before...

You gotta understand my bar for being offended is really high. The only music I can think of that actually offends me is:

1. The two Nazi chicks from I don't remember where who sing about Papa Adolf.

2. The Oi! music that came out of England in what, the late 70s or early 80s? I don't remember, not do I want to.

3. Kenny G.

Now, you might wonder how Kenny G made the list. Well, normally he wouldn't; I would just consider his music saccharine and useless, but hey, live and let live. However, one day I was at a party with Stanley Jordan and Kenny G. Stanley Jordan was TOTALLY cool, we talked about coding Motorola processors and chord shapes. Kenny G was annoying as hell and had an opinion of himself so elevated that few of us could breathe at that altitude.

Now, I'm a nice guy and I really do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But suffice it to say that if you don't like Kenny G, don't feel guilty!

Now Lee, you're right in one respect: I don't sense any "edge" in what you do. That's FAR from being "offensive," and besides, so what? I like music with an edge, and I'm sure you would agree that your music was never intended to be "edgy," so having it not appeal to someone who likes edgy music would come as no surprise. NIN's "Pretty Hate Machine" - edgy. Coltrane's "Ascension" - edgy. LA Style "James Brown is Dead" - edgy. PE "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" - edgy. Anything by Morton Subotnick - edgy.

I want to be provoked and shocked, I want to hear something I've never heard before. It's not a question of being offended, it's just a question of personal preference. Hearing something that resembles what I've heard before doesn't mean it's "bad" - nothing is "bad" (well, except for the two Nazi chicks, Oi! music, and Kenny G.) - it just means my head is tuned to a very different station.

The bottom line is if you, Lee, love what you're doing and other people love what you're doing, that is effing great because that means you know what one crucial aspect of music is all about. And for that, I will ALWAYS love you and respect you. That is independent of the music you make, which is temporal. The values you subscribe too are not temporal, and I agree with them 100%.

So, make people happy and move them!! And I'll listen to the musicians who move me. That's why there's so much music in the world: There's something for everybody...even me, thankfully.

And I guess someone, somewhere, somehow likes the two Nazi chicks...

• Members

Now, you might wonder how Kenny G made the list. Well, normally he wouldn't; I would just consider his music saccharine and useless, but hey, live and let live. However, one day I was at a party with Stanley Jordan and Kenny G. Stanley Jordan was TOTALLY cool, we talked about coding Motorola processors and chord shapes. Kenny G was annoying as hell and had an opinion of himself so elevated that few of us could breathe at that altitude.

It's not obnoxious arrogance! It's chutzpah, which is a certain confident, healthy self-esteem. ;)

• Members

You gotta understand my bar for being
offended
is really high.

Oh, I know, I was just joking around after you said you were sick of hearing guitar/bass/drums music.

Now, I'm a nice guy and I really do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But suffice it to say that if you don't like Kenny G, don't feel guilty!

Don't worry - I don't feel the least bit guilty! :D

I want to be provoked and shocked, I want to hear something I've never heard before.

Well that's cool... though you must be disappointed a lot, because that really hardly ever happens, and at the rate the world is getting smaller and technology advances, it's happening even less. That is, the chances of hearing something you've never heard before get smaller and smaller.

I have a bit of a different viewpoint about specifically rock music which I came up with when I was about 17 or 18, and it's funny how much it has come to fruition: I envisioned rock turning into a sort of tribal music for white people. :lol: I don't mean that in a way that would exclude anybody of other races, of course - I just mean that our culture doesn't really have its own tribal music. "Tribal music" meaning something really raw and primal and danceable, that almost anyone can play or relate to on some level, that multiple generations can enjoy together, and that is used to pass along universal themes and stories and history, as well as just expressing raw emotions. I think rock is perfect for that, and now that it's 50+ years old and there are still lots of young people playing it (in slightly mutated but still recognizable forms), I really can see that starting to happen.

I think the whole "music to piss off your parents" phase of rock was just that - a phase. A phase that only happened because the previous generation had been so repressed and had lost touch with that primal energy. I think the 60s/70s kids felt deceived by their parents, and now I think that's not so much the case. So it's not so horrible for a kid to go enjoy a concert with their parents, and I see it all the time. Which I think is great.

So, I like hearing stuff I've never heard before too, but it's certainly not a requirement for me to like music, much less make it. I do think I have some "new" things in my head that will come out someday, but it's a pretty ambitious project which is going to take awhile - and in the meantime I'm very content to simply do what I love. I also feel really fortunate to have a group of people I truly love to work with, and I don't think that's something to take lightly. To me, music is all about people - people playing together, and trying to communicate with each other and with listeners. So that's what I go for.

Archived