So here's a trite, derivative new song from me... ;)

• Members

Well that's cool... though you must be disappointed a lot, because that really hardly ever happens, and at the rate the world is getting smaller and technology advances, it's happening even less. That is, the chances of hearing something you've never heard before get smaller and smaller.

Yes, I am disappointed a lot. And despite my defense of pitch correction as a useful tool in the right hands, I have to say that the first time I heard it used as a creative effect, I thought it was really cool. The second time, I was ready to move on, which supports your "John Lennon would have probably used Auto-Tune and then dropped it shortly thereafter" kind of thinking.

In a way I kind of realize I'm a junkie when it comes to music. I get acclimated fast to the current dose, and need an ever more potent high. Which means I have to go beyond my usual neighborhood to find that more potent high...simultaneously, I get less interested in just plain listening to music all the time.

Thankfully getting into video has opened up an entirely new drug for me :)

I have a bit of a different viewpoint about specifically rock music which I came up with when I was about 17 or 18, and it's funny how much it has come to fruition: I envisioned rock turning into a sort of tribal music for white people.
:lol:
I don't mean that in a way that would exclude anybody of other races, of course - I just mean that our culture doesn't really have its own tribal music. "Tribal music" meaning something really raw and primal and danceable, that almost anyone can play or relate to on some level, that multiple generations can enjoy together, and that is used to pass along universal themes and stories and history, as well as just expressing raw emotions. I think rock is perfect for that, and now that it's 50+ years old and there are still lots of young people playing it (in slightly mutated but still recognizable forms), I really can see that starting to happen.

That's interesting.

I think the whole "music to piss off your parents" phase of rock was just that - a phase. A phase that only happened because the previous generation had been so repressed and had lost touch with that primal energy. I think the 60s/70s kids felt deceived by their parents, and now I think that's not so much the case. So it's not so horrible for a kid to go enjoy a concert with their parents, and I see it all the time. Which I think is great.

So do I. And I'm happy that they're listening to the Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. which is kind of like classical music now. :) But it does sadden me there's not a lot of music these days where they feel total ownership. The last group my daughter got really excited about was Them Crooked Vultures, and really, they're not a part of her generation. To her, a group like the Jonas Brothers is like Kenny G is to me.

One thing I would add is that one reason why I loved the whole electronic scene in Europe during the 1990s-2000s is it did have that shared, tribal experience feel. I felt like I had time-travelled to 1967, although with a lot more cool tools.

I think the need for that kind of experience is hard-wired into us, and I guess rock is as good a vehicle as any...as NBC once said, "If you haven't seen it before, it's new to you."

It's also revealing that after reading your post, the things I picked up on in the music that I thought were really worthy were all about your attitude, not the musical notes per se, and it's the "non-notes" aspect that seem most important to you.

• Members

One thing I would add is that one reason why I loved the whole electronic scene in Europe during the 1990s-2000s is it
did
have that shared, tribal experience feel. I felt like I had time-travelled to 1967, although with a lot more cool tools.

You and Austin Powers both!

Archived