What's up with the change in the Forum yesterday, where we have to scroll?

• Members

It's starting to look like they're no longer going to support screen resolutions of 1024x768 and below. Either that, or their "developers" just use higher screen resolutions when they "develope" and don't bother checking how it looks at lower resolutions.

My guess though is that the marketing guys all have 22" monitors set on 1600x1200 resolution or some such and insist that all that extra space they see could be used for more ads and "announcements".

• Moderators

Everyone needs to chill.
:thu:

I disagree. I think everyone who has an issue with it needs to complain, because clearly the owners of this forum are oblivious to the forums being poised at a tipping point where they might return and flourish or they might die permanently, and that something the owners consider minor might, in the presence of all the mistrust and ill will be enough to tip this thing back into the abyss.

Just my plain spoken thoughts. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

I disagree. I think everyone who has an issue with it needs to complain, because clearly the owners of this forum are oblivious to the forums being poised at a tipping point where they might return and flourish or they might die permanently, and that something the owners consider minor might, in the presence of all the mistrust and ill will be enough to tip this thing back into the abyss.

Just my plain spoken thoughts.
:idk:

Terry D.

Yeah, but...some changes have to be made in real time, unless we want to bring down the forums for hours.

Think of it this way. There are, I dunno, about 35 forum templates? Say each one takes about 30 minutes to update. The option is to either have each forum be screwed up sequentially for about 30 minutes, or shut down the forums for 17 hours and fix them all. Not sure if those are the exact numbers, but you get my point. Also not sure if there's much difference in panic factor between a 17 hour shutdown or rolling panic for 30 minutes at a time...

Fact is by reverting to 1.0, we reverted to its problems and efforts are being made to fix those problems. It would have been nice to work on them in the background, but I pushed for changing back to vB as fast as possible and canning the 2.0 forums...which on balance I still think was better than waiting until 1.0 was totally tweaked out before relaunch.

• Members

You don't have to have down time to fix websites. Changes are dynamic. That's what makes the WWW cool.

Make a change then hit "refresh" in your browser. If you don't like it, change it back. Too simple?

• Members

You don't have to have down time to fix websites. Changes are dynamic. That's what makes the WWW cool.

Make a change then hit "refresh" in your browser. If you don't like it, change it back. Too simple?

Maybe I didn't explain it right. Individual templates changed instantly, but some forums were fixed and some weren't if you logged on at any given moment. The later you logged on, the better the odds of hitting a forum that had been fixed.

• Moderators

Still? That shouldn't be the case. Clear your cache first, then tell me which ones are wrong and I'll pass the info along so it can be fixed.

Well, I'm starting to think I'm losing my mind, but some of the forums don't look the same now. For instance the page listing threads on this forum doesn't seem to use the same fonts as the page listing the thread on OJ. :confused:

And that's after thoroughly clearing cache. :idk:

I asked the people on OJ if they see it (made a poll), some say they do and others say they don't.

Terry D.

• Members

Well, I'm starting to think I'm losing my mind, but some of the forums don't look the same now. For instance the page listing threads on this forum doesn't seem to use the same fonts as the page listing the thread on OJ.
:confused:

And that's after thoroughly clearing cache.
:idk:

I asked the people on OJ if they see it (made a poll), some say they do and others say they don't.

Terry D.

Then the virtual neural stimulation algorithm is a success! I must report this to Dr. Chappell immediately. Being able to manipulate people's reality selectively is the goal of the project, which is being funded by the NSA, CIA, and Wendy's.

I guess it's time to level with you. 2.0 was just a ruse to introduce the algorithm, but we had to reduce the traffic by at least 50% because propagating the virtual neural stimulation takes up a hell of a lot of bandwidth - enough to slow the site down noticeably, which might have tipped people off.

Unfortunately we almost had to call off the experiment when some genius decided to reinstate the old forums, which meant the traffic started increasing. After much scrambling, we realized we could accomplish pretty much the same thing by applying the virtual neural stimulation algorithm only to certain forums...OJ is one of them.

BTW Terry in case you see lots of threads ending because people have an insatiable craving to go to Wendy's, you'll know why.

Archived