when you find your perfect pickup do you put it in all your guitars?

jr_vw2

• Members

Plus, I reject that whole "Holy Grail" notion that is the unstated premise of the OP.

you are actually incorect on my intentions of this thread. I am mearly small talking here. None of my guitars have the same pickups in them because of all of the same stated reasons. I like variaty and I play alot of different genres of music.

So the "holy grail" of tones is not my unstated premise. :thu:

• Members

+1 on them sounding different depending on guitar type.

I don't think I have a single duplicate pickup out of my guitars I have currently. I really like guitars to sound different.

If the pickup doesn't work well in a guitar I will move it from project to project until it finds a home or I get rid of it if it is just not vibing well. then I try something else.

• Members

I always love those threads that show a pic of someones pedal board, invariably Eric Johsnon or Brad Paisely and then a few months later it will be totally different. lol everyone from noobs to pros are fickle and constantly change {censored} up...:thu:

• Members

kinda, i put active emg's in all my guitars @18 volts of course, but wich model of emg is going in it depends on the woods.
In mahogany guitars i like 81/60, maple 85/85, alder 81/81 or 60 for example
it really depends on the guitar, if its too bright i wont put a 81 in it

• Members

I have Bill Lawrence's L-500XL in 4 different guitars, and I'm very happy with them. All 4 guitars sound different, but the differences are from the guitars' construction. That's what I want. I have consistency of output, but the tones are different. 2 of those guitars also have Bill's L-500R in the neck position, and they're the same way...equal output, very different tone.

• Members

I've tried hard to keep the variety up by having different pickups in almost everything, but I've caught myself starting to put the same thing in several guitars. So basically I do try to keep them diverse and try different pickups, but I end up trying to find a pickup that sounds just like one of my favorites if that makes any sense.

Archived