Finally got a chance to demo a Fender Champ 600

Frets99

Okay.... a couple of years late.... :o

I never really felt much about them before but this one grabbed me. Brilliant with single coil tones and still capable of handling humbuckers.

[YOUTUBE]XK4Ws_O1mnk[/YOUTUBE]

This'll make a great recording amp.

• Members

I like the OEM speaker. Some people had issues with them, but mine was/is fine. I posted a thread praising that amp a week or so ago. Of all of my little amps with one preamp and poweramp tube (including an AC4, Crate VC508, a Dano Cadet from '57 in perfect condition, a Magnatone Varsity, and various other stuff in my storage room), the Champ 600 sounds best. It sounds like a real tube amp and has an open, airy, Fendery tone. It even packs some bass (not a lot but it's decent). And the overdrive sounds like tubes. The Vox and Crate sound like solid state practice amps.

Great demo. Thanks!

• Members

Love mine. Use it a lot. I'm putting together a new band (any Indy area bass players looking for a gig?) and have been using it with my new vocalist to practice. She's singing unmiced right now, so it's perfect.

Sounds nice..I just noticed one for sale locally on CL..might have to give him a call. He is asking $80. I think that's a no brainer.

Thanks, your timing is/was perfect.

That's what I paid and I agree, a no brainer!

I like the OEM speaker. Some people had issues with them, but mine was/is fine. I posted a thread praising that amp a week or so ago. Of all of my little amps with one preamp and poweramp tube (including an AC4, Crate VC508, a Dano Cadet from '57 in perfect condition, a Magnatone Varsity, and various other stuff in my storage room), the Champ 600 sounds best. It sounds like a real tube amp and has an open, airy, Fendery tone. It even packs some bass (not a lot but it's decent). And the overdrive sounds like tubes. The Vox and Crate sound like solid state practice amps.

Great demo. Thanks!

I remember that thread. It was actually the catalyst to make me try it when I saw one come up used at my local GC. :thu:

I agree. It just has that Fendery tone. The bass is reasonable for that size amp as well.

• Members

I think you make it sound good Alan :thu:

For $80 though it seems like a pretty sweet sounding amp. I saw one locally from a bit more than that $100 I think and and thought about it for a bit then thought about what my wife would say and decided to resist the urge

• Members
I think you make it sound good Alan
:thu:

For $80 though it seems like a pretty sweet sounding amp. I saw one locally from a bit more than that $100 I think and and thought about it for a bit then thought about what my wife would say and decided to resist the urge

She would have found it so cute. :)

• Members

Nice playing.

Since Doc's post I have been keeping an eye out for one.

My plan is to pick up two of the SCXD speakers I see people swaping out and selling cheap. Then make a 2x10 4ohm cab.
If I really like the sound then make it into a tweed 2x10 combo.
I'm done building guitars for awhile so it may ne a fun project.

• Members

First of all Fretsie, Good to uh... "see" you.

Second, Great playing.
Thirdly, The Champion600 is one HELL of a great amp.
I got one almost as soon as they hit the stores. It has beautiful pure TONE TONE TONE. Another amazing thing about that amp is how well it does everything (in the context of its small size of course)
If I put an SM-57 in front of it and run it out of a big wattage board with decent speakers and use a compressor and a Blues Driver it is UNBELIEVABLE how big and professional that lil Champ can sound. I could live with just that alone and never miss all my other toys. With my Strats i can run the gain kind of high on the blues driver and get that beautiful sort of breaking up blues sound with the volume rolled off a good bit and use the 2 position. Turn the volume on the axe up and switch to the bridge and get convincingly good rock tone.
All this and still in a lower volume setting the thing works wonders with just about ANY modeller in front of it. Just a GREAT amp that is actually just what most of us really need more than we care to admit.

• Members

Nice playing.

Since Doc's post I have been keeping an eye out for one.

My plan is to pick up two of the SCXD speakers I see people swaping out and selling cheap. Then make a 2x10 4ohm cab.

If I really like the sound then make it into a tweed 2x10 combo.

I'm done building guitars for awhile so it may ne a fun project.

Depending on what you are doing with it, Give the stock cone a chance.

If you are going to use it moderately and pedals the thing can sound very good on it's own. It has a 1/4 inch speaker hookup so it's easy enough to plug it into a cab. Yet for a little box of noise it can be a blast to play with just the stock speaker.

Just a GREAT amp that is actually just what most of us really need more than we care to admit.

This!

I been running different guitars through it along with different pedals, and I'm not just finding settings I like, I'm finding settings I love!:love:

• Members

Great playing and tone as usual, Fretsy.

As a non-gigger, ~5 watts is definitely all I need. I owned a 600 briefly and a Crate V5 (the black one, made in Vietnam with the chrome V logo). The Fender stayed stock while I put a Weber Signature speaker in the Crate. At that point, the Fender KILLED the Crate.

Overall, I just tend to not get along with the ~5W, single power tubed amps. I think I just prefer more headroom... or maybe it's a speaker size thing, but I think it's something about the inherent tonal quality of the true single-ended amps. I have a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe that I love with all my heart. I got a 5F1 Tweed Champ clone built with a 12" Weber Alnico speaker. I LOVE the crunchy tones, but unless I play at a very low level, I just don't care for the clean tone nearly as much as the 5E3 and I tend to be pretty easy to please. I love the Vox AD30VT also and much prefer it for my needs vs the 5F1.

I've played Lowbrow's 600 and his Silverface Champ. The Silverface definitely wants to be player louder, but I guess I'm just more into that type of vibe vs the 600.

• Members

Overall, I just tend to not get along with the ~5W, single power tubed amps. I think I just prefer more headroom... or maybe it's a speaker size thing

Totally agree. I've played a few of the little 5-watters and frankly some of them really suck Yeah, you're getting powertube distortion, but it's not GOOD powertube distortion - especially coming through a cheap tiny speaker in a little cab.

The Champ 600 is one of the only ones I've liked (along with the Vicky 518 but that's a different price class of amp). It truly sounds like a mini version of a big tube Fender, in a good way - the voicing and the feel are spot on. I've only played them with single coils, but it seems to hold together reasonably well and has a fair bit of clean on the volume dial before a mild breakup.

It's funny, I'm an apartment dweller, theoretically the perfect candidate for a 5-watter, but I'd much rather use a full-size Deluxe Reverb. Even at low volumes, it fills the room in a way a little amp can't, and with all the great OD pedals out there these days, I get way better drive tones than I could with a cranked little amp. I'm considering a downsize to a Princeton - but no smaller.

Archived