Picking up a used Vox Pathfinder tonight...

• Members
Yep.
VHT Special 6 closed back cab
. Smooths out the mid range and extended the lows considerably. Basically gives it more punch and a bit more power. As the cab is 16 ohm and the amp takes 8 ohms min, I plan to put a 16 ohm 10" speaker in the cab and rewire the speaker out jack to be parallel allowing the use of a secondary 16 ohm cab at the same time reducing the total load to 8 ohms. I've got a chip to sub in which should deliver nearly double the wattage using the existing power supply and I'll go ahead and heat sink it when I swap it in. Additionally, I've heard the clipping is a red diode pair and am planning on socketing on of them and wiring a switch to sub in a couple different diodes for asymmetrical clipping (re-queue maniacal laughing)...
:evil:

I'm thinking a 2 x 10 open back alnico speaker loaded cab would sound really good with this amp...:freak:

• Members

I own the Cambridge model, which I'm pretty sure is the predecessor to the pathfinder and it is the one amp I'll never get rid of.

Perfect amps for around the house, and for an inexpensive amp they don't look like tinker toys like other amps out there.

Does your's suffer from the dreaded "cambridgeitis" or did you get that fixed?

• Members
Yep.
. Smooths out the mid range and extended the lows considerably. Basically gives it more punch and a bit more power. As the cab is 16 ohm and the amp takes 8 ohms min, I plan to put a 16 ohm 10" speaker in the cab and rewire the speaker out jack to be parallel allowing the use of a secondary 16 ohm cab at the same time reducing the total load to 8 ohms. I've got a chip to sub in which should deliver nearly double the wattage using the existing power supply and I'll go ahead and heat sink it when I swap it in. Additionally, I've heard the clipping is a red diode pair and am planning on socketing on of them and wiring a switch to sub in a couple different diodes for asymmetrical clipping (re-queue maniacal laughing)...

Sorry to semi-hijack; Will, where did ya get the Special 6. I want one very badly! Great demo, thanks!

• Members
Yep.

Look at swapping out the opamps for better ones. I had two Cambridges worked on by a friend who did that & it really made them sound better.
Looking forward to hear your thoughts on your mods.

• Members

Swapped out the power ic last night. Kinda a pain getting the board out of the chassis. Over the weekend I hope to wire up a switch to swap different clipping diodes. In depth coverage will be here, but I'll try to keep this thread updated as well.

• Members

Swapped out the power ic last night. Kinda a pain getting the board out of the chassis. Over the weekend I hope to wire up a switch to swap different clipping diodes. In depth coverage will be
, but I'll try to keep this thread updated as well.

cool. will you be able to post a demo on the outcome? :poke:

• Members
I'm thinking a 2 x 10 open back alnico speaker loaded cab would sound really good with this amp...
:freak:

that's exactly what i have just lying around with some obscure early 80s celestions. damn you all i might have to buy the pathfinder now!!!!

• Members

Just got done playing through my 15R - always amazes me how damned fine it sounds. Chimes like no other SS I've heard, and with a little hair and reverb it truly slays. Never thought I'd say that about a
Haven't fed a cab yet, and look forward to WC's mods, but it's hard to imagine being happier with this amp.

In the harsh light of reason it's an amp I don't actually need; too many practice amps, and the others serve additional purposes that the 15R can't. But at $55 used (jumped at that, $60 is a good price too) there's no point in unloading it - nothing beats cheap tonz!

• Members
Just got done playing through my 15R - always amazes me how damned fine it sounds. Chimes like no other SS I've heard, and with a little hair and reverb it truly slays. Never thought I'd say that about a

Haven't fed a cab yet, and look forward to WC's mods, but it's hard to imagine being happier with this amp.

In the harsh light of reason it's an amp I don't actually need; too many practice amps, and the others serve additional purposes that the 15R can't. But at $55 used (jumped at that, $60 is a good price too) there's no point in unloading it - nothing beats cheap tonz!

I didn't actually need mine either, but I did want to have an extra amp for one of the my kids to use as I teach them...:o

• Members

Experimented with swapping the red led clippers over the weekend. The changes to the core sound of the amp are fairly subtle. I was really surprised at how little the tone changed when I removed them entirely! That being said, it does affect the boost channel much more (likely due to the increased voltage hitting the clipping pair when engaged). With one combination, it actually starting to function more like a 2 channel amp evening out the volume and giving the boost a more compressed tone with a tighter low end. Need to get my hands on some mosfets and ge diodes and experiment with more of a network rather than a pair. More to come...

• Members

I have a Pathfinder v9158 from the late 90's. It has been my only piece of gear that I will not part with. It has been beat within an inch of its life but it still is the only SS amp I have ever liked. I use the boost channel as a slight breakup....My strats always sound great through it. When I had my Ric 360...it was classic REM every time I played. I played a few small gigs with it, running through a 1960A Cab and had many compliments from the tone. Every kept asking what head I was running through...lol I hid it behind the cab. Not one person could believe that it was powering the cab and had the body/tone it did.

I highly recommend picking one up to anyone looking for a practice amp.

Archived