Metal/Hard Rock Speakers???

schiz

• Members

Im currently hunting a 1x12 cab to pair with my Blackstar HT5 and I am wondering what speaker I should be on the look out for if/when I do find my cab.

So what speakers have you used to achieve metal or hard rock tonez? Any personal experience with the Blackstar pairing would be really helpful. :thu:

:wave:

• Members

Budget-friendly, decent sound- Celestion Rocket 50.

Better- Swamp Thang.

:thu:

Can't remember the thread, think it was posted by SirJackdeFuzz, but there was a Video on there that compared some of the bigger, more popular speakers. Really good to take a look at, if I can think of it, I'll post it.

• Members

V 30 has a nice mid spike that easily cuts through most mixes.

I really like the low end thump of a GT 100 but a GT 75 can hit well also.

If moneys no object a Green Back 25 watter would be my choice though

• Members

Thanks for the options guys! :thu:

Any of you had any experience with VHT 112 cabs? I know they come with some custom voiced speaker. Thats why I ask. I can always swap the speaker if need be but buying VHT Im already paying a little more for the name on the grill cloth. :rolleyes:

I have a friend of mine nagging me about going with a 4x12 but I really dont need that kind of beast in my living room. :lol: I mean Im pretty much giving away a 2x12 with my Ashdown if it sells local. So, I am not needing a 4x12 to replace it.

• Members

I prefer highly rated low/no breakup speakers for pretty much everything. Keeps things tight and fizz-free. Eminence Patriot and Redcoat speakers should provide lots of bang for your buck.

I like the high rated low breakup speaker also. I would go with Celestion G12-K100. I have one in a 112 cab and it sounds great.

• Members

Well I took some advice from you all and coupled it with some research of my own and I got a 1x12 cab. :thu:

I bought an Avatar that is coming with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. :eek:

Hopefully I will love it! :love: If not, I am prepared to just sell the Vintage 30, and buy a Greenback.

From all acounts I am reading, and hearing, the Vintage 30 does hard rock and metal well. As does the Greenback.

I guess we'll see. :idk:

Thanks for all the help folks!

:rawk:

• Members

Well I took some advice from you all and coupled it with some research of my own and I got a 1x12 cab.
:thu:

I bought an Avatar that is coming with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it.
:eek:

Hopefully I will love it!
:love:
If not, I am prepared to just sell the Vintage 30, and buy a Greenback.

From all acounts I am reading, and hearing, the Vintage 30 does hard rock and metal well. As does the Greenback.

I guess we'll see.
:idk:

Thanks for all the help folks!

:rawk:

I think you made the right choice. The V30 is right for high gain, as most everyone knows.

I run my HT-5 with a Greenback in an Avatar closed-back 1x12. It's only a practice amp, so I don't need the cab that loud. I wanted a somewhat warmer sound than the V30, and of course, the Greenback works great for hard rock and old metal. It gets just enough of a modern metal sound to make it versatile (the ISF knob cranked counterclockwise helps a lot), so I'm happy.

• Members

My solution was an old Peavey Backstage 20 SS amp from the 70's and a new Eminence 105 10" connected up to my Blackstar .Sounds really good on overdrive .It vastly improved the Peavey as well .As I also play a lot of clean jazzy tones ,I often use the old Peavey as it has spring reverb.I offer up this suggestion as often badly neglected SS amps can be great speaker cabs as well .The US made Peavey is built like a tank on steroids ,indestructable and far too heavy .

• Members

Yeah hopefully this will do the trick for sitting around here at the house jamming without blowing my windows out.

I have been running my HT5 through a Genz Benz Gflex 2x12 cab. I have a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop with an Yngwie Malmsteen preamp OD in front. Gets pretty gritty like that. The mids are quite spiky with the ISF turned to the left so I leave the knob at about 2 o'clock.

Im hoping that this Avatar closed back cab with the Celestion V30 will make this set up sound even better. :thu:

For now Im, not so patiently, playing the waiting game.

Archived