The Other Top 100 Guitarists

faberbz

• Members

The Rolling Stone list is fun.

But what about other great guitarists of *any* genre?

In no particular order, I'd add......

Chet Atkins

Wes Montgomery

Roy Clark

Les Paul

Waylon Jennings

Django Reinhardt

Pat Metheny

• Members

The
Rolling Stone
list is fun.

I'm not sure "fun" is the word that comes to mind......

That list is all about culture and not at all about actual music. But anyway....

The giant list of epic guitar players that exist now, are unsurpassed in the history of guitar. I mean {censored}, there are a plethora of guitarists doing ground breaking work that are soooo under the radar.....

Ollie Herbert

Oz Noy

Nels Cline

Bill Frisell

Marc Ribot

Robben Ford

Mike Keneally

Tuck Andress

Ralph Towner

John Petrucci (o.k., not so under the radar)

Pat Metheny (not so under either)

Dean Brown

Kevin Sheilds

Kurt Rosenwinkle

Scot Henderson

and the list just goes on and on and on.....

• Members

In addition to Chet, Wes, and the other players already neamed here are a few more for your consideration:
Albert King
Albert Collins
Muddy Waters
Mississippi John Hurt
Charlie Christian
Mick Taylor
Leo Kottke
James Taylor
Kenny Burrell
Joe Pass
Sonny Landreth
Dave Mason
Steve Miller
Jim Hall
Doc Watson
John Scofield
Adrian Belew
Howard Roberts
Barney Kessel
Tal Farlow
Jimmy Vaughn
Joao Gilberto
Charlie Byrd

• Members

"Other"

Hmm

Frets99
MHUK
wagdog
scuzzo
Chunk
LPjunkie
Mistersully
MichaelSaulnier
Undertaker4
nuke diver
Musicscotty
JKater
Milosch
Paulskirocks
Tones dude (where'd he go?)
Great Dane

To name a few off the top of my head.

:thu:

oh and Gilbert

• Members
"Other"

Hmm

Frets99

MHUK

wagdog

scuzzo

Chunk

LPjunkie

Mistersully

MichaelSaulnier

Undertaker4

nuke diver

Musicscotty

JKater

Milosch

Paulskirocks

Great Dane

oh and Gilbert

:eek:

• Members
"Other"

Hmm

Frets99

MHUK

wagdog

scuzzo

Chunk

LPjunkie

Mistersully

MichaelSaulnier

Undertaker4

nuke diver

Musicscotty

JKater

Milosch

Paulskirocks

Great Dane

oh and Gilbert

i made the list~ thank you!

• Members

I hate lists like this in the first place, as they seem to totally miss the point. It's art, ferchrissakes, not weightlifting.

Moreover, since there's absolutely no criteria to any of this, it's pointless. I mean, what makes a guitarist "great," anyway? Tone? Solos? Speed? Emotion? Arrangement? Too much subjectivity.

• Members

Fun? That RS list was the biggest {censored}ing joke I have ever seen in my life by a bunch of clueless writers. Let me see how good my memory is but Randy Rhoades was something like #87 and Eddie Vanhalen #70 while Lou Reed #50, Jack White #24 and Kurt Cobain was something like #17. I know these are not dead accurate but close and this should be taken seriously. I was astonished that someone even knew who Danny Gatton was though he was in the 50s and anyone that has Cobain, White and Reed 30 to 60 places higher than Gatton ,Vanhalen and Rhoades should not be on a guitar forum but a Hip Hop or Tween Idol one as you know {censored} about guitar!

• Members

Frank Zappa

Freddie Mercury (i dont care that he really didnt play guitar all that well he is still Freddie Mercury)

And Freddie Mercury is relevant here because of........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

...his teeth?

Archived