Slightly OT: Just got my first pair of studio monitors.

t2mikeman

• Members

So thanks to guitarzan (great discount hookup)i just got my first pair of studio monitors. KRK Rokit 5's. Well... one.... the other one music123 sent to me was used , so i had them overnight another to me.

None the less i tried out just the ONE good monitor.

And... wow....

I truly did not imagine they would be THIS big of an improvement, over ANYTHING that my ears have heard, ever. I truly don't know how someone who loves music as much as i do, has managed for so long without them.

Even with just one monitor the sound was absolutely 3d. Almost sounded like it was coming from behind me at times. I listened to a little ISIS , and it was just amazing how clear detailed and enveloping the sound was.

I cant fathom what things will be like with TWO of these :eek:.

Honestly i never considered purchasing moniitors for so long, because there are so many things that are far more "sexy" for the money. Like new guitars.

But im moving into my first house soon, and realized if i was going to have a studio, i finally needed to get some monitors.

Anyone who is on the fence about putting down the cash for a pair.

Stop considering and just do it.

As a musician, ALL musicians owe it to themselves to experience music this way. The way it was intended to be heard.

~mike~

• Members

I've got a set of speakers that aren't quite monitor level, but they are really flat and have a great frequency response. I don't use them very often though.

I do however have a great set of monitor headphones and after dumping $50 every year or so on blister pack garbage I could never go back.

I've heard great things about the KRK 5's too. I was looking at some the other day, but I won't use them...I like it too loud. :lol:

• Members

Everything I play in my home studio goes through my fairly entry-level ALesis monitors. Far better than 'PC speakers', home hifi or cheap headphones, for sure.

Same here. I bought the 320 USBs as an alternative to some Bose Companion II speakers running through onboard audio. The difference was astronomical! I ended up buying a pair of the 520s (traditional, not USB) that have EQ adjustment switches, which I use for recording song ideas, and am happy with them as well.

I also have some of the older-style M-Audio BX5As, and they sound good, but I've never tried anything more expensive than those at home.

• Members

I, too, procrastinated on buying nearfield monitors, but once I got them, I was sorry I'd waited so long. I still do a fair amount of tracking and mixing on headphones, but nothing beats some head-level speakers moving a little air in the room to get a feel for what the "real" mix will sound like.

• Members

Studio monitors aren't supposed to sound good. They're supposed to be ruthless, humorless, unflinching and ready to shatter your rock and roll dreams at the first sign of weakness.

I have Rockit 8s. They do the job, but the mixes don't translate to earbuds very well - an incredibly important thing these days.

• Members

yeah, i love hearing stuff on tracks you never heard before. i remember when i got my mackie HR 824s, everything just sounded better.

i have a 400 sq. ft. one room studio. i use the aforementioned mackies and a pair of subbed Urei 809Bs midfields powered by a 325watts/side@8 ohm hafler. loud. they'll drown out the drum kit if i want. the mackies are flatter but the ureis are louder and have lots more head room. they compliment each other pretty well. i tend to use the ureis for recording and the mackies for mixing and guitar jams.

• Members

I have M-Audio BX-5a's

They are fantastic to play my guitars through with Modellers. In fact MOST of my playing is through them. They can get very loud and turn good algorithms into tone machines (read POD xt, RP1000, GR4, Amplitube 3 level).

As a mixing moniter they are very clinical and I do tend to mix bass heavy with them (I suppose I could compensate for that as I should know by now how to deal with that). My mixes with these translate very well into my car stereo and phones. Of all the dozens of amps, guitars, pedals, and software-modelling multi pedals, the moniters are probably the single most important objects in my space. I now have a 1,200 watt powered 20 chanel

mixer with a pair of dual 15" woofer+ 7" horn tweeters that sound GREAT if you can get the sound pressure up but how often can you do that at home?

Archived