Sad Les Paul Owner :(

Ryan.

• Members

So I just bought a Silverburst Les Paul Studio back in January.

Very disappointed.

So far, the strings slip quite a bit, seems like its out of tune after 4-5 songs. (It was given a "new guitar set up" by a reputable guitar shop here in my city.)

The toggle switch cracks and pops and sometimes causes the guitar to go silent, until I wiggle it a bit.

The volume knob slips past max and min (basically rotates freely).

So I'm taking it into an authorized service center to have it fixed up.

Is this common? Did I get a crap guitar out of the gate?

I'm pissed cause its my first big guitar investment.

Oh what a world...

:cry:

• Members

So far, the strings slip quite a bit, seems like its out of tune after 4-5 songs. (It was given a "new guitar set up" by a reputable guitar shop here in my city.)

This sounds like just a badly cut nut or possibly a sharp saddle. A set up should have taken care of that, unless you've changed string gauge in that time.

The toggle switch cracks and pops and sometimes causes the guitar to go silent, until I wiggle it a bit.

Poor quality toggle, probably twinned with lack of maintenance (don't worry you aren't to know from the get go). You need to invest in some contact cleaner, keeps your pots and switch nice and clean on the inside. It's not expensive and easy to apply. Ask your service center for a demo, I'm sure they'll oblige.

The volume knob slips past max and min (basically rotates freely).

Not a hard fix, the pot split shaft is probably too narrow. Not a hard job to remove the knob, widen the shaft and put the knob back on. Two minutes. Unless, the pot itself is spinning, if so will need replacing.

Is this common? Did I get a crap guitar out of the gate?

I don't think there's much to worry about. Guitars need maintenance at any price bracket. I'm sure you'll be set after the service gets done.

• Members

Always use a good name brand set of strings. Also every once in a while a switch will go bad. Sometimes during shipping things can loosen up etc. And tell the guy who will be working on your guitar everything that's wrong with it.

• Members

I have a studio. Its a fine guitar. The tuning problems - make sure you first are stringing the guitar properly. I don't want to sound like a jerk here but it has been my experience (as a guitar repair guy) that 90% of people who bring me instruments with "tuning problems" do not know the correct way to wrap a string around the tuning peg.

the other 10% its usually a poorly cut nut. Sometimes its other issues but on guitars like les pauls its fairly easy to diagnose tuning issues.

as for the switch crackling, if this is a new guitar, thats a bit unusual. Try some electrical contact cleaner on the switch.

the knobs freely rotating? never heard that one. sounds like the little grooves inside your knobs got stripped and it no longer "grips" the pot's shaft. pull one off and check to see if the inside of the knob is smooth.

all of your issues are easy to fix, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Members

No worries. When I taught, I used to teach some basic guitar maintenance. If you make a radical change in string gauge, eg from 10s to 12s, you will need to pay attention to the nut and saddles as well as the truss rod and action. It is entirely possible it was missed in your setup.

No biggie. Every new guitar needs a full setup. Even my USA Jacksons have needed a setup on arrival. Not Jackson's fault, just a case of change of climate from the States to the UK.

• Members

did you buy it from a local dealer or online ?
I would take the guitar back to where you bought it and have them fix the issues you described, a reputable dealer will be happy to do that for you, if you bought it online I'd take it to a good tech and have him go through it, once you solve a few issues you should be ok,, no worries :thu:

• Members

No worries. When I taught, I used to teach some basic guitar maintenance. If you make a radical change in string gauge, eg from 10s to 12s, you will need to pay attention to the nut and saddles as well as the truss rod and action. It is entirely possible it was missed in your setup.

No biggie. Every new guitar needs a full setup. Even my USA Jacksons have needed a setup on arrival. Not Jackson's fault, just a case of change of climate from the States to the UK.

really? my First Act SFA Sheena was set up near perfect out of the box... and it went from Massachusettes to Kansas in the dead of winter...

to the OP, i'm sure it'll be a fabulous instrument when the issues are adressed, but myself, if i pay $500 or more for an axe, it better be perfect...

• Members

really? my First Act SFA Sheena was set up near perfect out of the box... and it went from Massachusettes to Kansas in the dead of winter...

to the OP, i'm sure it'll be a fabulous instrument when the issues are adressed, but myself, if i pay $500 or more for an axe, it better be perfect...

That's my take too. As others have said, all of those issues are small-fry and easily fixed (hopefully under warranty or by the seller), and you'll have a really nice guitar in the end. But in that price bracket you shouldn't have to deal with that stuff at all, should've been taken care of from the start. Not sure if Gibson QC or seller is to blame, but hopefully one of them will make amends.

• Members

Did you expect anything better. Take it back and buy a PRS.

Was that necessary? What exactly do you think is that more likely to do for this thread: help him out, or start another goddamn "GIBSON SUCKS" debate?

OP: satannica is pretty dead-on in his analysis. One point I'd add is that the sticking nut thing (which is the cause of your tuning issues, I'd say with 90% certainty) is pretty common for Gibsons, but that should have been handled in the shop's setup. If you paid anything for that setup, have them take care of it.

• Members

Sounds like some basic maintenance issues.

It is very unlikely that your tuners are slipping. Lube the nut slots and stretch your strings whenever you change them. Enlarge the nut slots if necessary. Always make sure your strings are properly wrapped around the posts and not overlapping.

The nut that holds the volume pot in place most likely just needs to be tightened.

The switch could probably use a dose of contact cleaner.

• Members

Depending on how much you bend, or how hard you hit the strings with your picking hand... it's not completely a shock that you could be out of tune after 4 or 5 songs... Unless I'm using a Floyd Rose or similar, I check my tuning after each song... often just one or two strings may be out... G and B are the two most likely... I quickly tune up, and off I go again!

Of the other issues, the previous advice provided is all good... Like MaltoMario, I've never heard of the "spinning" volume control... when you turn it, does it actually turn the shaft of the pot or is it just loose?

Strange.

M

• Members

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The volume knob is basically slipping. It will turn the guitar up and down, but it once it reaches 0 or 10 it will keep rotating if I keep twisting (and I'm not twisting hard). (thats what she said)

I'm taking it into an authorized repair place that will fix it under warranty. SWEET!

Thanks again all!

• Members

Sounds like some basic maintenance issues.

It is very unlikely that your tuners are slipping. Lube the nut slots and stretch your strings whenever you change them. Enlarge the nut slots if necessary. Always make sure your strings are properly wrapped around the posts and not overlapping.

The nut that holds the volume pot in place most likely just needs to be tightened.

The switch could probably use a dose of contact cleaner.

This. What the OP is describing is about five minutes worth of work that any player should be able to figure out and do.

• Members

I lean towards this view myself. I've had new guitars delivered that were set up great straight out of the box (and even in tune!) that don't cost anything like what Gibsons cost. This is the area where Gibson take the piss, frankly.

Obviously, occasionally there'll be issues, but really, that should be covered by warranty fropm either the dealer or manufacturer. The idea that you should always factor in the cost of taking it to a tech on top just to get it up to basic standards strikes me as ludicrous.

• Members
From what I've heard:

Mid to Upper level Epiphone>Lower level Gibson.
:idk:

it could possibly be true, but
resale value: low level Gibson > top end Epi
consider that too

for the sake of staying on topic:
I had my LP in the very same conditions - the switch would crackle, and cut off, the pots were scratchy as f*ck, and it didn't stay in tune.

a can of cleaning spray, and pots are smooth and dead quiet, the switch is like 98% healthy; a set of new strings properly installed - and it stays in tune. Pickups lowered a lot, and it sounds great.

Easy, isn't it. F*ck Gibson's attention to setup, I can do it myself unless it is broken for good.

• Members

I've also had fairly cheap guitars arrive in tune and reasonably set up, but I don't EXPECT it. It's impossible to guarantee a great setup after shipping regardless of price. If you give a guitar a perfect low, slinky action it might not even be playable by the time it arrives. Wood is not a super-accurate engineering material. I think people expect too much, we should all know basic maintenance principles IMO.

Archived