SRV sig strat vs SX strat

wagdog

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Buy a cheap SX strat, set it up, and toss in some BG v60's.

$200
:thu:

I love bg's v60's, I have a set in my '74 strat. I was going to do a '74 vs SRV poll, but the v60's are pretty distinct, IMO. Anyone who has heard Bryan's pickups would pick them out pretty quickly.

This is pretty old, but it's the '74 w/v60's - drive channel of the hot rod dx:

th_stratsofwag_74.jpg

It had a blender pot in the bottom tone position at the time.

• Members

At the time of this post, the poll reads:

Guitar 1 is the SRV, Guitar 2 is the SX - 29

Guitar 1 is the SX, Guitar 2 is the SRV - 33

(I shifted Will Chen's vote over)

Here are the actual identities of the guitars:

Guitar 1: SX

Guitar 2: SRV

So the poll got it right, but it's really close!

• Members
I think guitar 2 is the SRV, Guitar 1 is the SX.

That said, both sound good
I think that guitar 2 has an edge however on the leads and lead riffing- it seems to distort a bit nicely and sound a little fatter, on the rhythm stuff though....I think it's hard to tell the difference
:)

...and I could be wrong.
:idk:

Glad to know I can trust my ears. Personally, I liked guitar 2 better when you dug into it- to me that was the real difference, the way it responded. That said, I had to listen a couple of times because the rhythm sound of the SX was very good, very musical- if only a bit thin, but very straty and TOTALLY worth investing in for a strat on a budget! :thu:

• Members
Yes, there is no possible way that I could be right based on the evidence at hand, despite offering good reasons and specifying the differences I heard...

:rolleyes:

Yes you defy the odds, you must be a true genius.:facepalm:

• Members

On a side note I watched the videos that wagdog recorded with his different Strats. The playing is great! But I just wanted to share my two cents on it. That 70's Strat with the BG pickups sounds freaking amazing! I think that was hands down the best guitar of the bunch. No contest!

• Members
No, but after 27 years of playing, gigging, and recording, I'm glad to see that I can hear the differences in gear and know what to attribute them to.

:wave:

Fair enough. I cant argue, I dont have much of an 'ear'.

I think there are very few who conld pick a song from 20 years ago and identify what it was played on though. And in a lot of circumstances that includes Strat v LP :cool:

• Members
Fair enough. I cant argue, I dont have much of an 'ear'.

I think there are very few who conld pick a song from 20 years ago and identify what it was played on though. And in a lot of circumstances that includes Strat v LP
:cool:

It's harder to tell on distorted tones, and leads could be anything....but clean tones make it easy. Strats sound "stratty" in certain positions, and no LP is going to make those sounds. It all depends on the mix, and yes, 20 years ago everything had Chorus on it...:facepalm:

• Members
It's harder to tell on distorted tones, and leads could be anything....but clean tones make it easy. Strats sound "stratty" in certain positions, and no LP is going to make those sounds. It all depends on the mix, and yes, 20 years ago everything had Chorus on it...
:facepalm:

I used to think it was easy to distinguish until I learned that Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II was recorded with a P-90 equipped LP.

• Members
cool experiment wag..

could you do a price run down on the SRV strat vs the modded SX with hand wound pups?

and to all you SX hate folks..

awell..

peace..
:cool:

Sure thing...

The SRV was $1325 new, 2 years ago. MF has 'em for $2019.99 now - which I would imagine you can get down to like $1800, maybe less. I've wanted an srv sig strat since they came out (think it was '92?). The recordings really don't do the guitar justice. It's got a huge range of tone available by working the volume and tone knobs and pick attack. It's a really responsive guitar. Plus the neck is a dream (imo of course).

The SX was $100 used, delivered to my door. I have about $60 in parts into the hand wound pickups, with enough wire left over to do another 2 pickups. New pots were like $10. The old dimarzio paf that's in the bridge I had in my parts closet, but those cost like $70 new. So roughly $240 into the SX + the time it took me to read up on building pickups, get setup, actually wind the pickups, etc... (I'm not gonna count that because I did it to learn about pickups, which I did - so I got a lot personally out of that project).

And as far as my hand wound pickups go, I think you could get better results with a set of pickups from someone who actually knows what they're doing, like Bryan G - I doubt I could replicate the results again. Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, the SX's are great playing guitars, and with some upgrades, they sound great too.

• Members
I was wrong last time but I got it this time! I think the tone was significant enough to tell the difference. I just did not like the sound of guitar 1. Personally I did think guitar 1 sounded very thin (no offense wag dog).

None taken man! I appreciate your comments.

I love the TS pickups in the SRV, they are really, really solid. What I like best about them is how the neck pickup comes out in the lower registers, solid, all there, no flab.

The neck/middle combo, imo, is just pure strat. There is that strat quack, but it's not as pronounced as with a more vintage set. They do have a nice, sort of, sheen sound to them though, almost bell like.

And, dirtied up, they really shine.

Anyway... :)

• Members
Glad to know I can trust my ears. Personally, I liked guitar 2 better when you dug into it- to me that was the real difference, the way it responded. That said, I had to listen a couple of times because the rhythm sound of the SX was very good, very musical- if only a bit thin, but very straty and TOTALLY worth investing in for a strat on a budget!

That is exactly it man, when digging into the SRV, it gives up some tones and grit that just aren't there on other strats. I don't know if it's the TS pickups, or the overall guitar, but some tones come out of that ax that I just can't get out of others.

You have some good ears to pick that out!

• Members

but clean tones make it easy. Strats sound "stratty" in certain positions, and no LP is going to make those sounds.

This is why I believe strats are the most versatile guitars out there. You can get a pretty heavy, even humbucker tone from a strat (series bridge/middle or an HSS strat), but I've yet to hear a convincing strat tone from a les paul.

Note: I'm not knocking les pauls, I own a custom that I love, but just saying!

Archived