SRV sig strat vs SX strat

wagdog

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think guitar 2 is the SRV, Guitar 1 is the SX.

That said, both sound good
:thu:
I think that guitar 2 has an edge however on the leads and lead riffing- it seems to distort a bit nicely and sound a little fatter, on the rhythm stuff though....I think it's hard to tell the difference
:)

...and I could be wrong.
:idk:

Well its 50-50 atm with 42 votes....

I'm gonna go with #2 is the SRV. it seems to sound fatter, and i'm gonna say its because of the wood.

I have to say i'm impressed with both though

• Members

I'm going to go with Guitar 1 being the SRV, mostly on the basis that the file overall seems a hair louder and I'm betting the Texas Specials are hotter than the pickups you wound.

I think you sound a little more confident on Guitar #1 though when you hit the chords in the first bit, Guitar 2 sounds a little more open to me. Again, very similar.

But what do I know... I'm pretty sure I got it wrong last time. :cry:

:lol:

• Members

I'm saying #2 is the SRV just because it sounded better and i think a fender should sound better than an SX. But i could be wrong.

BTW how do you like the Pau Ferro neck on the SRV. I'm thinking about getting Pau Ferro on a warmoth neck i'm getting for a strat.

• Members

I chose: Guitar 1 is the SX

I tried to come up with a reasoning. I have none but loved the poll idea so voted more to support your idea than anything.

As has been said both sound great and you obviously did a great job winding pickups!

• Members

I'm saying #2 is the SRV just because it sounded better and i think a fender should sound better than an SX. But i could be wrong.

BTW how do you like the Pau Ferro neck on the SRV. I'm thinking about getting Pau Ferro on a warmoth neck i'm getting for a strat.

I will hijack this for a second, I have a Pau ferro neck and I love it. I like to feel the wood and it has more snap than rosewood. I like the snap of maple but it's always finished. Pau ferro has a very nice feel and sound, somewhere in between maple and rosewood. Ebony may be my favorite though.

• Members

I will hijack this for a second, I have a Pau ferro neck and I love it. I like to feel the wood and it has more snap than rosewood. I like the snap of maple but it's always finished. Pau ferro has a very nice feel and sound, somewhere in between maple and rosewood. Ebony may be my favorite though.

Hmm thanks. I'm thinking I'd probably like rosewood a little better but i'm still leaning toward the pau ferro just because there are almost no guitars with it except the SRV strat.

• Members

Hmm thanks. I'm thinking I'd probably like rosewood a little better but i'm still leaning toward the pau ferro just because there are almost no guitars with it except the SRV strat.

Sorry - forget to reply about the pao ferro fingerboard - I like it a lot, much more then rosewood actually.

FWIW, although the SX has a great, nice, chunky neck, the neck on the SRV is much better. It's chunky and comfortable and easy to play for 4 sets.

• Members

I have a feeling the results are going to cause a {censored}storm..

There are so many people out there that think there is no way a cheap $100 guitar can sound good, even after a pickup swap.

This thread/clips have already proved that wrong.

Buy a cheap SX strat, set it up, and toss in some BG v60's.

$200 :thu:

• Members

Sorry - forget to reply about the pao ferro fingerboard - I like it a lot, much more then rosewood actually.

FWIW, although the SX has a great, nice, chunky neck, the neck on the SRV is much better. It's chunky and comfortable and easy to play for 4 sets.

Really? I've actually heard the opposite; that the SRV neck is uncomfortable. I guess i should just go play one and find out for myself. I doubt my guitar center has one though.

• Members

I have a feeling the results are going to cause a {censored}storm..

There are so many people out there that think there is no way a cheap $100 guitar can sound good, even after a pickup swap.

This thread/clips have already proved that wrong.

Buy a cheap SX strat, set it up, and toss in some BG v60's.

$200
:thu:

Although i did say thought the second one was the SRV simply because it was better. I actually really liked the sound of both of them. HE did a great job of winding those pups. I'm pretty certain you can get most guitars to sound pretty good with some good pups. The problem i have with $100 guitars is the way most of them play.

• Members

The problem i have with $100 guitars is the way most of them play.

The squier bullet I did the last comparison with didn't play that well - but it played well enough. It did sound really good though. This SX isn't in that category though, it plays great - and it's on account of the neck. It's a great sounding, great playing guitar. I just need to replace the pot metal floyd rose trem and it's going to be in my permanent collection.

Archived