The ringing in my ears stops when I play my guitar

surfcat

• Members

I have a pair of these as well,

http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS

21Q5K4VxW8L._SS400_.jpg

They have the "valve". They are good for normal jam type settings, really good for that actually, they let in the highs and it all sounds pretty normal, $6. Well worth it. Around 18 db noise reduction.

For loud rock though, you really should use those yellow ones above. They are around 30 db noise reduction and run about $6 in any local hardware store.

I use both for different situations. I have permanent tinnitus and plugs are a God send in helping to mange it. If I don't use plugs my ears will go F-ing crazy for two or three months before they will settle down just a little bit. Plugs are the way to go, like it or not.

Oh yeah, and tinnitus goes from bad to worse. The ringing you hear that is really annoying when you are trying to go to sleep is mild compared to what tinnitus turns into if you don't start protecting your ears. It gets really really loud and then painful with exposure to just about any sound, like a tv or someone talking.

• Members

I know this sounds stupid, but try not to think about the ringing. Im not saying that tinnitus is not real, but a lot of out hearing is controlled by our brains - ie if you try to hear something you will, if you ignore something it will go away. Im betting that a lot of peoples tinnitus is flaring up just by reading this because they are now thinking about it - i know mine is :(

Playing guitar not only drowns out the sound but makes you concentrate on hearing other things. With the absence of that sound the tinnitus becomes more pronounced.

Ive seen an audiologist about this so im not making it all up. He told me the best way to deal with it is to train yourself to ignore it eg- if you play music at night to help you sleep, dont try to drown out the ringing, but instead turn the volume down so you can just hear it, but choose to listen to the music instead.

So yeah, the best way to deal with it is to try and ignore it.

• Members

I have a pair of these as well,

http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS

21Q5K4VxW8L._SS400_.jpg

They have the "valve". They are good for normal jam type settings, really good for that actually, they let in the highs and it all sounds pretty normal, $6. Well worth it. Around 18 db noise reduction.

For loud rock though, you really should use those yellow ones above. They are around 30 db noise reduction and run about $6 in any local hardware store.

I use both for different situations. I have permanent tinnitus and plugs are a God send in helping to mange it. If I don't use plugs my ears will go F-ing crazy for two or three months before they will settle down just a little bit. Plugs are the way to go, like it or not.

Oh yeah, and tinnitus goes from bad to worse. The ringing you hear that is really annoying when you are trying to go to sleep is mild compared to what tinnitus turns into if you don't start protecting your ears. It gets really really loud and then painful with exposure to just about any sound, like a tv or someone talking.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN

Hearing protection is a must for any gigging musician. I started getting permanant tinitus a few years back and it got so bad that if I went to gigs IU started getting phantom overtones that sounded like keyboards. I've got a set of the clear plugs and they knock enough of fo me without spoiling the music

• Members

I know this sounds stupid, but try not to think about the ringing. Im not saying that tinnitus is not real, but a lot of out hearing is controlled by our brains - ie if you try to hear something you will, if you ignore something it will go away. Im betting that a lot of peoples tinnitus is flaring up just by reading this because they are now thinking about it - i know mine is
:(

Playing guitar not only drowns out the sound but makes you concentrate on hearing other things. With the absence of that sound the tinnitus becomes more pronounced.

Ive seen an audiologist about this so im not making it all up. He told me the best way to deal with it is to train yourself to ignore it eg- if you play music at night to help you sleep, dont try to drown out the ringing, but instead turn the volume down so you can just hear it, but
choose
to listen to the music instead.

So yeah, the best way to deal with it is to try and ignore it.

With all due respect, Spike, I think you are looking at it from the view point of a mild case that has yet to get worse. The ignore it trick works well with mild case. But if you keep blasting your ears, the ring will get much more pronounced. It becomes seemingly a deafening sound, and that is not just because you are paying attention to it, it's because it's a whole lot louder.

Consider yourself warned.

• Members

I use the baby blue etymotic plugs cos I have narrow ear canals. They cut out 18db. What are the ones that cut out 30db? Can you send me a link?
:thu:

Here is a link to the brand anyway (Aearo- Peltor),

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor%C2%AE-UltraFit-Corded-Premolded-Yellow/dp/B002XK0OE2

This is for a box of 100 though, can't find them in single packets, but I know they are out there. All of the local hardware stores around me sell them in singles. And again, I cut the stems off a little so they are more inadvisable in your ear.

Also they are 25 db not 30, my mistake.

• Members

Just a question thhat`s probably have been answered countless times, but i`ll ask it anyway.

I went to a concert last saturday and i stood next to the stage with the bass of the drums to the left and a bunch of retard screaming girls to the right (no, it was not westlife), actually, it seems i was the only guy there, a shame really, they would have gotten a load of more male fans if they stopped dressing up like that...

anyways, i`ve had a pretty loud ringing in my right ear from about 500 girls screaming right into my {censored}ing ear. when does it go away?

• Members

There are a number of things that can help, mine is nigh on indiscernible now after a few years of clean living, yoga and breathing exercises

mine gets worse with alcohol for sure. Or at least the day after ....

• Members

I have a set of Hearos (same as the Etymotic's) and they are awesome. I just watched like 6hrs of extremely loud live music today, and I forgot them. I was sorry. I put them in at the end of the night when i picked em up at home before going to the bar, but I really don't like to go to shows without good earplugs.

With the earplugs in, I can hear the vocals better and the cymbal crash is greatly reduced making the act of listening to live music much more enjoyable.

• Members

Just a question thhat`s probably have been answered countless times, but i`ll ask it anyway.

I went to a concert last saturday and i stood next to the stage with the bass of the drums to the left and a bunch of retard screaming girls to the right (no, it was not westlife), actually, it seems i was the only guy there, a shame really, they would have gotten a load of more male fans if they stopped dressing up like that...

anyways, i`ve had a pretty loud ringing in my right ear from about 500 girls screaming right into my {censored}ing ear. when does it go away?

It will go away in a couple of days. There is a chance that it won't, but that's not too big hopefully. Remember however, that whenever your ears are ringing after a show for a while, damage has already been done, and it makes your ears more prone to future damage. Think of the ear cilia as grass: you step on it once, it bends and comes back up again, another time, maybe. But step on it enough times and you will be introduced to the wonderful world of tinnitus.

• Members

With all due respect, Spike, I think you are looking at it from the view point of a mild case that has yet to get worse. The ignore it trick works well with mild case. But if you keep blasting your ears, the ring will get much more pronounced. It becomes seemingly a deafening sound, and that is not just because you are paying attention to it, it's because it's a whole lot louder.

Consider yourself warned.

Yeah no thats cool man, seeing as how everyone else mentioned ear plugs i thought id mention the coping method. Tinnitus is definitely a real thing and ear plugs are a great way to prevent it or stop it from getting worse, but once youve got it theres not much you can do about it except learn to live with it, or let it drive you crazy :idk:

I was in a pub at Australias world cup match 2 weeks ago and my right ear, which already had tinnitus, took a blasting when we scored a goal.... its still ringing :cry:

Its funny tho, i dont seem to get it in my left ear, even when I try to hear it :confused:

• Members

I suffered with really loud tinnitus in both ears for over a year before I found out that it was my blood pressure pill. I switched to a different pill and it went down like 80% over two weeks. Sux because I had quit my band over it.

It's still lingering in one ear, and now I wonder if the ototoxic medicine could have done any permanent damage.

• Members

I suffered with really loud tinnitus in both ears for over a year before I found out that it was my blood pressure pill. I switched to a different pill and it went down like 80% over two weeks. Sux because I had quit my band over it.

It's still lingering in one ear, and now I wonder if the ototoxic medicine could have done any permanent damage.

Something else I forgot to mention, certain medications can cause tinnitus.

Archived