Whatever happened to XTC?

shniggens

• Members

Elvis Costello is an even better comparison.

Squeeze would be the closest band comparison.

All too brilliant for public consumption.
:idk:

Yep. Elvis is a good comparison. Difference was Elvis knew how to work his image early on and was willing to put out commercial stuff like Alison and Pump It Up to sell his image and records. XTC was much less willing to play the 'game' it seems.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I like that they didn't to that personally. But it does explain why they never achieved big commercial success.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was also lucky to see them live in a club and they were great. They had no trouble reproducing their records. (although there stuff was a bit simpler in the early days.)

If you like XTC and Squeeze then check out Godley and Creme. They were originally half of 10cc. Their albums L and Freeze frame are the best ones. Anyone else here know their music?

Loved 10cc - wasn't as enamoured with G&C.

This was a great video, though.

Love Trevor Horn's goofy face at the end of the video.

KxtPRF6NG7I

• Members

I was also lucky to see them live in a club and they were great. They had no trouble reproducing their records. (although there stuff was a bit simpler in the early days.)

If you like XTC and Squeeze then check out Godley and Creme. They were originally half of 10cc. Their albums L and Freeze frame are the best ones. Anyone else here know their music?

Another person who saw them live. Standing 2 feet from a probably terrified Andy...

And another Godley and Creme fan. I was (and still am, for that matter) a huge 10cc fan, so when they split into two, I was worried. 10cc that remained became more pop. Godley and Creme became more experimental. And I liked both. For Godley and Creme - Cry isn't representative. I'm with you on "L' and "Freeze Frame".

I don't get the comparisons to the Police and Elvis Costello, especially in the early albums. Both were fresh and energetic, but the songs followed songwriting conventions. (This isn't a slam)

I remember buying "Drums and Wires" when it first came out, and listening to the single ("Making Plans for Nigel"). Then track 2 came on ("Helicopter") and my initial reaction was "What the....????????"

Sure didn't sound like any pop I've ever heard before. Still doesn't. Not playing THAT on an acoustic.

js

• Members

I have the CD with Peter Pumpkinhead, had to go look to see what it was. Nonsvch (I suppose emulating stone lettering). I'm sure I bought because of that one song and can't remember if I'd ever even listened to anything else on it.

• Members

The cover alone of XTC's first album made me a fan.

IMO Big Express is also among their best albums.

All of the albums after Skylarking-Oranges & Lemons (1989), Nonsuch (1992), Apple Venus Volume 1 (1999), Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2) (2000) are a bit lacking in energy and inspiration compared to their earlier work. But relatively uninspired XTC is still better than 99% of the competing product.

• Members

It's all my fault. I saw them warm up for The Police in concert that year at the Arizona State Fair for just $3. Andy Partridge took one look at me in the audience and swore off playing live.

Nah, definitely not your fault Geoff.

I was on the road crew for the XTC tour that never happened in '82. We were in Lyons, France. Two days rehearsals at the Palais D'Hiver, followed by a show, then off round Europe for a couple of months. I was running a spot. Full house, ready to go, and he just freaked. Very sad.

Apple Venus vols 1 & 2 are brilliant too - recorded in Colin Mouldings garage and house in '98/99 (apart from the strings, which they blew the budget on at Abby Road).

• Members

1. Black Sea

2. The Dukes compilation -- Chips from the Chocolate Fireball

3. English Settlement

4. Skylarking or The Big Express

Worst XTC albums:

1. Wasp Star

2. Go 2

3. Mummer, which is actually pretty good...they didn't do a lot of {censored}.

Dave Gregory Rules.

• Members

1. Black Sea

2. The Dukes compilation -- Chips from the Chocolate Fireball

3. English Settlement

4. Skylarking or The Big Express

Worst XTC albums:

1. Wasp Star

2. Go 2

3. Mummer, which is actually pretty good...they didn't do a lot of {censored}.

Dave Gregory Rules.

Go2 is one of my faves :)

• Members

Just to be clear, tho: Wasp Star (AKA Apple Venus Vol. 2) is an album I truly don't like, the only XTC album of which that can be said. I like Nonesuch, which a lot of people don't. Big Express, an album that sold exactly 64 copies, is one of my favorites. Even Apple Venus vol. 1 has lovely moments. Only Wasp Star sucks...

...well, actually I don't know how many of you have Testimonial Dinner, the XTC tribute album. It's got some good stuff and some really dubious stuff on it. Leading the dubious pack is Crash Test Dummies--known XTC fanatics--butchering "All You Pretty Girls." Elsewhere, the butchered Peter Pumpkinhead--not a favorite song of my mine, so let 'em have it.

Sarah Maclachlan's "Dear God" kills. Andy much prefers it...[YOUTUBE]FrueVp_kuZ8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

All of the albums after Skylarking-Oranges & Lemons (1989), Nonsuch (1992), Apple Venus Volume 1 (1999), Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2) (2000) are a bit lacking in energy and inspiration compared to their earlier work. But relatively uninspired XTC is still better than 99% of the competing product.

I thought Oranges & Lemons was great. I didn't like Nonsuch much at first because it sounded like the first XTC album where they were just retreading old ground rather than moving forward, but I like it much more today.

Wasp Star suffers from the lack of Dave Gregory and shows just how intrical he was to that band.

• Members

XTC are great. English Settlements is one of my all time favorite albums!!

Very timely thread as today I am in the studio today working on tracks with one time XTC drummer Pat Mastelotto and Mike Keneally.

Please tell Mike that Bill Plummer says hello!

• Members

Some friends of mine here in Atlanta do an occasional XTC tribute show, including Tim Smith and Peter Stroud who've been part of Sheryl Crow's and Sarah McLachlan's touring bands.

Here's some video of them from a show they did last year, which I attended and it was thoroughly amazing! And yes, they're called "Nigels With Attitude." :D

[YOUTUBE]DiFLBVfNSQk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]pxnYWYItdWA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qCkFpHli_vU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

:)

Hey
John
, I was wondering if this thread would bring you out of the woodwork. I should have thought of this myself --
Where's
John
? Hmm... Let's start an XTC thread, that'll bring him back!
:idea:

Good to see you here, my friend!
:wave:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Worst XTC albums:

Mummer, which is actually pretty good...they didn't do a lot of {censored}.

Dave Gregory Rules.

"Desert Island", "Human Alchemy", "Ladybird", "Love On A Farmboy's Wages", "Beating Of Hearts" and "Me And The Wind' all suck, except for being some of the best Linn Drum based tunes ever composed.

• Members

XTC are great. English Settlements is one of my all time favorite albums!!

Very timely thread as today I am in the studio today working on tracks with one time XTC drummer Pat Mastelotto and Mike Keneally.

that's amazing. tell mike i think "boil that dust speck" is a work of genius. :cool:

Archived