Whatever happened to XTC?

shniggens

• Members

Godley and Creme - huge fan. I ended up finding them out just after they left 10cc.

I wasn't able to find "Consequences" (the 3 record set they did) but I did find "L" for NINETY NINE cents american in the cutout bins here and I was

a fan for life - then I got "Freeze Frame" and after that the record with "The Party". I found a "best of" cd "Images" (which had "Cry" in its original form) and then the "History Mix" and such.

I was bummed out when they became successful video directors because I knew they would be focusing less on their own music and sure enough I don't know if they ever produced any music after that History Mix record.

Great though. And they were both interesting producers as well as musicians.

Back to XTC. I loved those guys but they seemed destined to have problems beyond the "we can't tour due to stage fright."

I read some interview somewhere about how Andy and Dave Gregory had a falling out when they realized they were apparently being lead around by the nose by Aimee Mann who was apparently interested in them both and they both got played but instead of getting mad at her they got mad at each other.

And with Andy and Colin Moulding not being interested in doing any music, well, let's hope Keneally can pull Andy into some interesting directions.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Desert Island", "Human Alchemy", "Ladybird", "Love On A Farmboy's Wages", "Beating Of Hearts" and "Me And The Wind' all suck, except for being some of the best Linn Drum based tunes ever composed.

Wow, "Me and the Wind" is my favorite track from Mummer by a mile, with honorable mention to "Great Fire." The others I find sub-par. The charm of "Love on a Farmboy's Wages" has always escaped me. Andy at his most deliberate and klutzy. Skylarking, to my ears, is a much better pastoral album. And "Funk Pop a Roll" is an embarrassment. No accounting for taste!

• Members

The talk in this thread of our favorite XTC albums makes me grieve a little more for the dying album art form. I hope against hope that it gets rediscovered and reignited by the next wave of listeners.

great thread here on a really terrific band - thanks for reminding me of many great songs. thanks also for Geoff's note about the the album format; a more cohesive, satisfying means for taking in music than a single, in my opinion. cheers.

• Members

I read some interview somewhere about how Andy and Dave Gregory had a falling out when they realized they were apparently being lead around by the nose by Aimee Mann who was apparently interested in them both and they both got played but instead of getting mad at her they got mad at each other.

And with Andy and Colin Moulding not being interested in doing any music, well, let's hope Keneally can pull Andy into some interesting directions.

From what I understand, Andy and Dave have made up and are talking about working together again and Andy is very interested in doing more music, but Colin absolutely is not. At least for the time being.

• 2 months later...

Archived