Choice of pickup upgrades... lost

Phait

• Members

I'm intending to get a LTD EC-50 guitar, it's within my budget.

Later on I'd like to replace the pickups though, because I'm sure I'll get better sound of it (hopefully, right? :D) and also I've been researching Dean DeLeo of STP and his gear... it seems someone was able to get a STP-like tone with Seymour Duncan '59s, and I read Dean should have P90s in his Les Pauls.

I know amps are a big part of it too, but ya gotta start somewhere.

So... I found several options. The EC-50 uses ESP LH-150 stock pickups... can't find any info about them.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SH1bBlk/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IMP4RBS/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IMP9RBC/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IMP4TBS/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IMP9RBD/

Dean said...
My favorite, though, is this black Les Paul that somebody bastardized they rewired the volume and tone knobs, so the tone knob controls both pickups and it also pops out to pull 'em out of phase. So the bottom knob acts as a kind of filter to give it that Class A amp sound. You know when you step on a wah wah and you find that perfect sweet spot? The filter allows me to do that, and that tone is totally prevalent on the solos I take in 'Bi Polar Bear' just really nasal, woody sounding, very reminiscent of what Mick Taylor was doing in the '70s."

I've never gotten a guitar upgraded before (still running stock '97 Strat pickups)... so I don't know a thing about the difference between these and what I might achieve tone wise.

Any help? Thanks :)

LTD EC-50

gesec50blkb.jpg

• Members

I don't even have an amp at the moment, I don't gig, got everything I need to write/record on the computer, and I'm getting an iRig for iPod Touch for portable playing/writing. I also have an acoustic which I'd record over electric (since direct recording sucks).

But I'll need to get a decent amp, yeah - because I might gig once I get some material down.

• Members

Before you go chasing after tone through pup swapping, think about saving the money for an amp that will do justice to whatever pups you use. New pups may or may not make a crappy amp sound less crappy.

Listen to this man. He is trying to save you money, time, and frustration.

• Members

The LTD EC-50 is a freakin' awesome guitar for the price. I bought one for my nephew last year and it has an unbelievable fit and finish. I'd definitely swap out the pickups but that's just me.

As far as replacements go, I've definitely come around to Seymour Duncan 59's after playing my Hamer for a few weeks. That said, there are cheaper alternatives out there which are just as satisfying (*cough* BG Pickups *cough*).

• Members

I barely tried the EC-50 cause I'm a southpaw... and the store had a righty. I'll def. have them order me a lefty though, I love the store here I've been going there for years.

I also wonder what gauge strings I want... I haven't had 13s or 12s in a long time, usually get 10s. I know the thicker gauges I ended up saying "eff these!" - but I'm after tone a lot now. Maybe I'll get a mix set.

• Members

If you can wait a bit give Bryan a holler. He is Norcal_GIT_r on this board and owns BG Pickups BG Pups

I will argue that they are the best pickups you can get at twice the price. Further if you have specific needs Bryan can wind them custom for you and he offers a discount to forum members. What he does is magicial. I am a huge fan obviously and he's got a bunch more here.

The only downside is he does all the work himself and it takes time for the quality parts he delivers.

• Members

I don't even have an amp at the moment, I don't gig, got everything I need to write/record on the computer, and I'm getting an iRig for iPod Touch for portable playing/writing. I also have an acoustic which I'd record over electric (since direct recording sucks).

But I'll need to get a decent amp, yeah - because I might gig once I get some material down.

A Valvetronix will get you in his ballpark if you choose the right models. Or a Tonelab if you don't want a full amp.

• Members

I had a guitar with the LH-150 pickups in it and they were BY FAR the best 'non-brand name' stock pickups that I ever experienced in a guitar. They have a bit of a scooped mid thing going on but I had 4 other great humbuckers in the parts bin at the time and definitely figured that a pickup swap would be in order until I plugged it in. I think that you'll be very happy with the stock pickups if you end up buying that guitar.

My advice would be to wait a little longer and get the EC-256. Same pickups but set neck and a little more refined overall. The difference between $250 and $400 is the main factor I suppose.

• Members

Wow, that's weird...

I was just looking at a used ec 50 at my local GC the other day.

I've always thought even the cheaper ESP offerings were pretty decent, and I really like the 24 3/4" scale w/ 24 frets like my schecter.

However, I HATED the stock pus in the EC 50 when I tried it out the other day. I think they are copies of Duncan Distortions; good luck getting an actual "clean tone" w/ them, lol.

If you're only playing metal, they will prolly be fine, but I like a mid-heavy jazzy/bluesy kinda sound, so if I grab it I'll prolly swap the pu's as well.

If you are trying to stay cheap, see if you can find a used set of those duncan designed hb102-hb103's...a copy Jazz/neck and JB/bridge set.

It's a classic combo, and the "designed" ones should only be about $30ish used.
(That's actually what I was thinking of doing if I grabbed one)
Also, if you go that route, pick up a new tone pot and give yourself the ability to split the humbuckers...you can make a very versatile guitar on the cheap that way;)

But, if you want to spend the money, you can't go wrong w/ 59s:thu:

Speed

• Members

I was talking with a guy down at the bar last night who has the EC-50 and loves the stock pickups for metal.

I'd be between rock/metal, if I reaaaally was doing a lotta clean stuff there's my Strat.

Archived