Are There Too Many Audio Interfaces?

Anderton

• Members

So I suspect that the reason there aren't more 8x8 USB audio devices is a marketing decision rather than a technical one. 8x8 Firewire interfaces aren't exactly flying off the shelves these days since so much mixing is done in the box now.

I read some more Wiki and I believe another member mentioned that the host side (CPU drain) is a problem for USB in an earlier post. From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface

"Although current high-speed USB 2.0 (introduced in 2001) is quoted as running at a higher signaling rate (480Mbps) than legacy FireWire 400 (400 Mbps, available since 1995), data transfers over S400 FireWire interfaces generally outperform similar transfers over USB 2.0 interfaces. Few if any USB 2.0 device implementations are able to saturate the entire 480 Mbps, but this can be achieved with multiple devices on the same bus. Typical USB PC hosts rarely can sustain transfers exceeding 280 Mbit/s, with 240 Mbit/s being more typical. This is likely due to USB's reliance on the host processor to manage low-level USB protocol, whereas FireWire delegates the same tasks to the interface hardware (requiring less or no CPU usage). For example, the FireWire host interface supports memory-mapped devices, allowing high-level protocols to run without loading the host CPU with interrupts and buffer-copy operations.

Besides throughput, other differences are that FireWire uses simpler bus networking, provides more power over the chain and more reliable data transfer, and is less taxing on a CPU.

FireWire 800 is substantially faster than Hi-Speed USB."

- Now we just need the computer builders to continue to include FW as an option with their PC's and laptops.

• CMS Author

"Although current high-speed USB 2.0 (introduced in 2001) is quoted as running at a higher signaling rate (480Mbps) than legacy FireWire 400 (400 Mbps, available since 1995), data transfers over S400 FireWire interfaces generally outperform similar transfers over USB 2.0 interfaces.

No argument there, but the thing is that the throughput required for 8, or even 24 tracks of audio isn't anywhere near the capacity of the USB pipeline. There may, however, be other reasons why it doesn't work well. The fact that USB data transfers are CPU intensive means that you don't have as much horsepower as you'd like to play the music.

However, it seems that Firewire has run the course, so I guess we're stuck with whatever USB can offer, or else (and people did this for years) open the box and stick in a card.

• Members

Seriously...it seems like there are 415,000 different models out there. Are that many people making music with computers? Can the market really be that big, or are these companies selling only dozens of the things?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Do we need all the different kinds of guitars? Seems like there's 415,000 kinds of guitars out there too!??!!

• CMS Author

And almost all of 'em use a 1/4" output.

Where've you been, Ken? Now they have guitars with MIDI (5-pin DIN), Ethernet (RJ-45), USB, and maybe there's even still one with an XLR output.

Are there too many gooseneck console lights? I ran into someone in another forum who's been very outspoken about the use of the BNC connector, nearly a universal standard) for a light on the right-hand side of a mixer with a sloped panel. He says that the torque causes the bayonet lock of the BNC to unlatch. This could be why Littlite makes gooseneck lights with XLR connectors . . . but now they're also making them with TNC connectors (and encouraging console manufacturers to switch to TNCs for the gooseneck lamps) which, with a strong enough hand, can be wrenched down tight enough to keep the gooseneck snug.

Too many interfaces, indeed.

• Members

I ran into someone in another forum who's been very outspoken about the use of the BNC connector, nearly a universal standard) for a light on the right-hand side of a mixer with a sloped panel. He says that the torque causes the bayonet lock of the BNC to unlatch. This could be why Littlite makes gooseneck lights with XLR connectors . . . but now they're also making them with TNC connectors (and encouraging console manufacturers to switch to TNCs for the gooseneck lamps) which, with a strong enough hand, can be wrenched down tight enough to keep the gooseneck snug.

Too many interfaces, indeed.

Now that you mention it, thats been keeping me up at night.

• Members

Hi
What audio interface would you recommend on a budget?I am looking to record my voice for an audio book or podcast. I'm working on a tight budget, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a usb audio interface that would work well with vocals. Thanks.

• CMS Author

What audio interface would you recommend on a budget?I am looking to record my voice for an audio book or podcast.

For cheap, I use a Berringer UCA-202. Costs $30, but it doesn't have a mic preamp. If you already have a mixer or mic preamp, this will work fine. If you have nothing at this point, you might consider a USB microphone, the whole works for about $100 for a reasonable one.

• Members

Hi

What audio interface would you recommend on a budget?I am looking to record my voice for an audio book or podcast. I'm working on a tight budget, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a usb audio interface that would work well with vocals. Thanks.

Q&A

Question by Chris G: What audio interface would you recommend on a budget?

I am looking to record my voice for an audio book or podcast. I

Archived