Fender Jaguar Owners: Need opinions.

lewzer

• Members

Are there any Jaguar fans out there? I've basically ignored these guitars since I've started playing, but today I've started to find them interesting. I've been thinking of migrating from Gibson style guitars to Fender style (bolt-on, maple necks), but I have trouble getting completely comfortable with the 25.5" scale. I have a Brian May Signature with the 24" scale, and I really love the size of it, only it is so poorly balanced it's really a chore to play standing up.

That said, the only other compelling 24 scale inch guitar that I can find is the Jaguar, which judging from the specs may be right up my ally. I'm probably 1-2 hours away from any guitar store that might stock a Fender Jaguar, so I would really appreciate some insight on these. How is the trem? Does it intonate properly? Does it stay balanced when you play standing up?

• Members

Jaguars are great guitar bot they need love and care. Read up on how to set up and maintain the trem and bridge. Stock you might have problems with strings jumping out of the saddles et cetera but there are a myriad of tricks to make as stable as any other guitar. The sound is great and I absolutely love the neck on mine. The scale length is another bonus, I don't have small hand but I like the Jaguars scale alot and also the Gibson scale, the normal Fender scale is not something for me. Bear in mind that I have no trouble playing my 30" Gretsch.

• Members

you should try a new classic player series jaguar. they have a gibson-style bridge, and they are more 'modern' and stable. they are very trebly and single-coily - a threat if you are a gibson player.

they are the coolest-looking guitars ever, in my opinion.

• Members

The trems are great if set up properly. The trouble people often have is with the bridge. A lot of Jaguar and Jazzmaster players like to upgrade to the Mastery Bridge because it solves a lot of the stability issues with the traditional bridge.

Here's my take on the Current Jaguar Lineup:

- Classic Player - modern take on the jaguar - MIM - okay electronics. Modern neck radius (12") and wider at the nut than the older ones 1-11/16". The trem and bridge are moved closer together to eliminate the problems with the old bridge. Some purists say that this eliminates the benefits of the string resonance behind the bridge.

- Classic Player HH - same as the CP, but instead of the Rhythm circuit it has a circuit that progressively cuts out a coil from the humbucker, so you can get full on HB tones to a split coil and anywhere in between.

- HH Special Edition - MIJ - instead of a trem it has an LP style TOM bridge. It has two humbuckers, but the typical jaguar wiring rather than the CP HH splitting circuit.

- AVRI - These are the traditional reissues with the classic specs - 9.5" radius and 1-5/8" for the neck, special designed pickups, etc.

- Thin Skins - basically AVRI with nitro finishes that were a special run for a couple smaller dealers - Wildwood and Dave's Guitars.

There are also some MIJ reissues out there on the used market. The knock on these is the electronics.

Offset fanbois tend to tout the benefits of the mastery bridge and boutique pickups by Curtis Novack.

• Members

you should try a new classic player series jaguar. they have a gibson-style bridge, and they are more 'modern' and stable. they are very trebly and single-coily - a threat if you are a gibson player.

they are the coolest-looking guitars ever, in my opinion.

The Classic Player series is the one I'm looking at the most. I palm mute a lot, so I'm guessing the vintage style trem wouldn't work so well for me. I also like that it has a 9.5 fretboard and medium jumbos. If I got the CP HH, it seems I could upgrade the pickups, slap on some 10 or 11's and be good to go.

Thanks for all of the info everyone. Any other opinions and pictures would be great. It may be a week or so before I can go find one to try out.

• Members

Put heavy strings on (11 or 12s) and you'll have no problems whatsoever.

jagcase3.jpg
jagcase5.jpg

I used to have a jag (two actually). Mij, sunburst. The short scale is not for me, feels toy-ish and cheap to me personally. No sustain what so ever, VERY jangly and twangy sounding. And not even in a cool tele sorta way. But each their own ofcourse.

BUT...I'd buy a black one like that in a heartbeat just for it's looks:love::love::love:

Daaayamn, that's one sexy axe. Real vintage one?

• Members

I used to have a jag (two actually). Mij, sunburst. The short scale is not for me, feels toy-ish and cheap to me personally. No sustain what so ever, VERY jangly and twangy sounding. And not even in a cool tele sorta way. But each their own ofcourse.

BUT...I'd buy one of those black one in a heartbeat just for it's looks:love:
:love:

yeah shes a looker. Its a 2002 AVRI...But I sold it, couldnt get with the short scale. Jazzmaster FTW.

• Members

Hi

I have 1,5 Jaguars

The realMIJ(CIJ) is the red one and 24" while the Xavier is 25,5.It takes me 15 min playing to switch between the scales.Jaguars are loud and very resonant.the Dragster-J pickups-hmmm- lousy.I play BG's with coil split now

jagjt90b.jpg

If you use Tremolo then you need 11's or 12's

have fun

Roland

• Members

BUT...I'd buy a black one like that in a heartbeat just for it's looks:love:

I used to have a blonde '64 Jaguar and I know where you are coming from.It was very 'plinky-plonky' and a bit of a one-trick pony (which was ok,as I was in a surf band at the time).

You really have to try one to see if you can get the sounds you want out of it.

Saying that,they do look the nuts!

• Members

yeah shes a looker. Its a 2002 AVRI...But I sold it, couldnt get with the short scale. Jazzmaster FTW.

Aaaah...Now I get it. You replaced the stock brown/red shell pickguard with a mint green one. Right? Looks way cooler for some reason.

• Members

I never really looked at Jaguars until I picked one up. Now it's really my go-to guitar.

As others have said, those with the pure vintage specs and parts can be a little finicky, but are amazing when set up properly. I have flatround 11's on it and have never had any problems with the vintage bridge, but still put the premium Mastery bridge on it, which does have some great benefits. The vintage-style pickups are a bit brighter than most people are used to, but the tone is very easy to dial in.

• Members

It was very 'plinky-plonky' and a bit of a one-trick pony.

I've never found Jaguars to be either of those things. But I guess it's all about how you set up and play the guitar.

I can get just about any sound I want with my Jaguar. I've done jazz, blues, rock, funk, and electronica gigs with a Jaguar. Whenever I play another guitar, not only do I miss the Jaguar, but regulars at my gigs miss it as well. People have told me "your other guitar sounds clearer, fuller, better, etc." in reference to the Jaguar. And I've had Les Paul guys ask "how do you get that thing to scream like that?"

The pickups are basically hotter Strat pups and the 1M pots contribute to a brighter sound, but the short scale mellows that out. Also, the tension isn't as taut but shimming the neck helps increase the tension over the bridge. With a 7.25" radius, you can choke out on huge bends.

But these "limitations" are what I love about the Jaguar. It forces you to play differently than you would on the standard Les Paul or Stratocaster--read, differently than most guitarists. If you pick up a Jaguar expecting it to play like one of those guitars, you'll be sorely disappointed. If you're looking for something different, it might be your guitar.

• Members

I got my MIJ out last night after a few weeks of playing Teles - it's really comfortable to play, and the neck pickup sounds superb. Lots of people are bugged by the multiple switches, but it really gives you more options if you're not getting exactly what you want. Still too bright on the neck pickup? Flick the rhythm switch and you instantly re-wire with 500k pots.

In my opinion any guitar with a hard-tail is not a Jaguar, in the sense that the floating trem and bridge have a massive impact on the sound. No sustain, sure, but plenty of odd and interesting overtones and resonances. And it really is comfortable to play. You really should try one, and if it's not for you, at least you will know. Only problem is that the ones in the stores are likely to be badly set up - anything less than 11s (which feel like 10s on the short scale) feels floppy and can jump in the bridge. Likewise I have found that the bridge plate sitting lower with the saddles sitting higher makes a big difference.

Plus, it's hard to think of a cooler looking guitar.

• Members

Wow, thanks everyone. Looks like I have a lot of research to do! Based on what's been said so far, I really think the Classic Player Jaguars are going to be the ones for me since I pick pretty heavily and I try a lot of big bends.

I'll probably go after the CP HH Jaguar when I get the chance. Does anyone have any experience with those? I know they're bit different than the old ones, but are there any huge red flags that I should worry about?

• Members

Humbucker swaps on the CP HH won't be easy. Pretty sure they use a three- or four-screw mount on the pickguard, so mods will be necessary to fit 'normal' humbuckers.

So I'm assuming the problem is the way the pickups mount to the pickguard, and not the actual size of the pickups? Would buying a pick guard like this solve the problem?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickguard-fits-Fender-Jaguar-guitar-CIJ-brown-tortoise-/360182042099?pt=Guitar_Accessories#ht_728wt_1057

This appears to be a replacement for the TOM-bridge model Jaguars. I'm guessing I would need pickup rings as well.

Archived