Of all the bands you've ever seen live......

caveman

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats hard-Springsteen's shows are great, Brandie Carlile and her band far out shined Sheryl Crow as her opener in my opinion, Los Lonely Boys were way better live, best sound ever was at a David Bowie concert and dorky or not, I'm gonna have to say Guns N' Roses on a not {censored}ed up day were hard to beat-

• Members

won tickets to see Genesis... not my favorite band by a long shot but I will admit to not hating them and actually being a bit of a fan of Phil Collins. The performance blew me away, exceeded my expectations so dramatically i was in shock. Everything was just dead on. AC/DC was really entertaining too especially how into it the drunken crowd got.

• Members

The one that shocked me the most...

Travis Tritt, Poughkeepsie NY...Can't remember the year...my mother wanted to go and no one else would take her so...

...I think they booked him in by mistake...He came out a little tentative, but as the show woent on the audience was super-enthusiastic...he came out and did what I guess was his usual encore, then came back out with an acoustic and just sat and played for another 30 minutes...I became a fan that day...

• Members

For technicality, The Yes were awesome both times I saw them. Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Pink Floyd, Chicago, Santana, Led Zep, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani's G3 thing, ...all seemed jaw dropping to me and money well spent.

Some 'ho hums'.

I've seen Deep Purple too many times.(10) Those were the days of affordable concerts. I went because they were cheap tix. They're good but not, ...Wow! How do you play that!? Ritchie never brought anything new to the table. (flame suit going on)

I saw Cream and they were great but EC could've done better than just lean on his Marshall stack. Those were the days! I guess he was,...young and tired?

Then He shared a bill with Santana and that was incredible.

• Members

Afghan Whigs at clutch cargos in Michigan on their final tour. They played for over 4 hours doing all their stuff plus a ton of covers. Absolute {censored}ing fantastic show. Dulli carrys on the tradition with solo tours, his band Twilight Singers, and his duo with Mark Lanegan called The Gutter Twins.

• Members

The most memorable for me was probably David Bowie in 1977 or 78 for the Low album. Peter Gabriel was pretty awesome the 1st 4 times I saw him. (78-82). Genesis 1978. Springsteen for The River.

Wow. Hard to believe they are so long ago.

Recently I would say the Drive By Truckers last year because I didn't know any material or what to expect before the show and I was blown away. They were actually playing at the same time as Lynyrd Skynyrd and we planned to watch a bit of the Truckers and then head over to the other stage but we never left the Truckers show. I'm a big fan now.

Cheers

• Members

For technicality, The Yes were awesome both times I saw them. Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Pink Floyd, Chicago, Santana, Led Zep, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani's G3 thing, ...all seemed jaw dropping to me and money well spent.

Some 'ho hums'.

I've seen Deep Purple too many times.(10) Those were the days of affordable concerts. I went because they were cheap tix. They're good but not, ...Wow! How do you play that!? Ritchie never brought anything new to the table. (flame suit going on)

I saw Cream and they were great but EC could've done better than just lean on his Marshall stack. Those were the days! I guess he was,...young and tired?

Then He shared a bill with Santana and that was incredible.

If you read EC's biography, he says that by the time Cream was halfway through the first US tour, his heart wasnt in the band, felt that the band was just becoming about just playing and partying, not trying to progress musically. EC said that half way through the tour he was calling the manager weekly to get him out of there.

• Members

Probably the first time I saw Phish in like 92 (at Sugarbush, I think). I ended up working for their sound company and saw a lot of their shows back in those days. But that first show was something else. My tastes have changed, so I don't listen to them much anymore, but boy those guys are great musicians.

• Members

Jackyl 1994, Reunion Arena, Dallas (opening act for ZZ Top)

I'm dead serious. Amazingly entertaining show.

Did they get the chainsaw out?

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet: A fellow who I talk to once in a while who is a great fan of music and sees lots of live shows told me that he saw the most impressive display of musicianship that he ever saw recently. He may have even used the clich

• Members

Lucky enough to see Crowded House's farewell concert in Sydney 96. 250k people on the steps of Sydney Opera House. It was simply jaw-dropping. Emotional and amazing. I can't ever think of anything topping that. Lots of footage of it on youtube.

Recently- Joe Bonamassa @ Hammersmith. Staggering performance.

Archived