Semihollow LP?

Zledi

• Members

Does anyone other than PRS make such a thing? I just recently realized how much I would love to have guitar like this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-25th-Anniversary-Singlecut-Hollowbody-II-CB-Electric-Guitar?sku=584185

I love that guitar but not hte price tag.

I know Gibson made the Florentine LP but those are rare and spendy. Any others??

• Members

I owned the Epiphone semi hollow LP model and just sold it about a week ago.

If you would like a light weight Les Paul, the semi hollow is the solution. It doesn't even have the solid block running up and down the body, only a small solid block underneath the bridge and tail piece. So it's almost more of a full hollow body than a semi.

The sound isn't light weight though. It sounds like a Les Paul. Even mine that I had installed mini humbuckers in, still sounded like an LP, just with less mud. Don't expect any of the semi hollow "woodiness", despite the big "F" holes. Ok, maybe just a hint of it but the body is just too small to permit it. The top isn't a laminate as on most semis either, it's an honest carved, solid, maple. Back, sides are mahogany, as is the nicely bound neck. They are all "Limited Edition" models. Gorgeous little axe really.

Why did I sell mine? I love semis and have a big bodied guitar that gives me that. The semi hollow LP doesn't offer that sound. I've never played the GFS version but the Epiphone is a seriously good guitar and when found, very economical on EBay, so no need to go cheaper. You don't see them every day but they aren't that difficult to find. Like all Epis, it responds very well to upgrades, especially electronics.

There are two other guitars I've owned and that were very similar to the Epi... a Yamaha AEX 502 (very nice P90 or mini hum bolt on) and Hagstrom's Deluxe F (with really usable splittable HBs)... so you may want to look into those as well.

Hope the info helped and here's the obligatory picture of the one I just sold.

I let it go for $575 locally.

dsc0454q.jpg

• Members
I owned the Epiphone semi hollow LP model and just sold it about a week ago.

If you would like a light weight Les Paul, the semi hollow is
the
solution. It doesn't even have the solid block running up and down the body, only a small solid block underneath the bridge and tail piece. So it's almost more of a full hollow body than a semi.

The sound isn't light weight though. It sounds like a Les Paul. Even mine that I had installed mini humbuckers in, still sounded like an LP, just with less mud. Don't expect any of the semi hollow "woodiness", despite the big "F" holes. Ok, maybe just a hint of it but the body is just too small to permit it. The top isn't a laminate as on most semis either, it's an honest carved, solid, maple. Back, sides are mahogany, as is the nicely bound neck. They are all "Limited Edition" models. Gorgeous little axe really.

Why did I sell mine? I love semis and have a big bodied guitar that gives me that. The semi hollow LP doesn't offer that sound. I've never played the GFS version but the Epiphone is a seriously good guitar and when found, very economical on EBay, so no need to go cheaper. You don't see them every day but they aren't
that
difficult to find. Like all Epis, it responds very well to upgrades, especially electronics.

There are two other guitars I've owned and that were
very
similar to the Epi... a Yamaha AEX 502 (very nice P90 or mini hum bolt on) and Hagstrom's Deluxe F (with really usable splittable HBs)... so you may want to look into those as well.

Hope the info helped and here's the obligatory picture of the one I just sold.

I let it go for $575 locally.

dsc0454q.jpg

wow! You got good money for it!

• Members

Thanks for all the info guys. I am not gonna be buying a guitar anytime soon. I need to finish building my tele first and get an amp.

BoneNut, that Epi is amazing looking!

The main reason I asked about these was I was messing around with the SC Guitar Editor at Frankmontag and I created a semihollow LP I would love to have.

Archived