"Introducing the Fender Blacktop Series"

fuzztone

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what the bridge position pickup route is like on the JM? If a regular JM pickup could fit, that would be a cool, cheap way to get a "real" Jazzmaster

Isn't that bridge pickup the only thing that distinguishes it from all the other regular jazzmasters that are available now? So why not just get a CIJ jazzmaster?

• Members
I dont get it
:confused:

But seriously, is it really too much to ask that Fender make a hardtail strat (barring those overpriced sig models)? I mean, how many people use a damn trem anyway??

Ask Fender Sales how difficult it is to move a hardtail strat. Even players who don't use them would rather have them available just in case.

On budget lines like the one in question here, the more variations, the higher the cost. By offering limited options, colors, and trim levels, they can keep the cost down and churn them out by the billions. Henry Ford understood this principle. I'm surprised they have as many color choices as they do.

• Members
I dont get it
:confused:

But seriously, is it really too much to ask that Fender make a hardtail strat (barring those overpriced sig models)? I mean, how many people use a damn trem anyway??

Well, actually, because of the trem system (springs...), they don't have the same type of resonnance and doesn't sound equals. A friend of mine put a wood block to, well, block its trem on his Strat and it sort of killed the characteristic sound/resonnance of the guitar... so, he removed the wood block, even if he never uses the trem.
I suppose, most people consider the trem system of the Start part of its "purer", "most original" design.
Of course, then, if there are humbuckers, it already change quite a lot of the original design :p

• Members

I must say that the Jazzmaster looks very very tempting, even if I'm not a big fan of its colour scheme. Though I wonder how they balance the outputs if the humbucker and the JM pickup :idk:

I should really test one if they reach our European shores at a decent price... not sure about that :(

• Members
Ask Fender Sales how difficult it is to move a hardtail strat
. Even players who don't use them would rather have them available just in case.

On budget lines like the one in question here, the more variations, the higher the cost. By offering limited options, colors, and trim levels, they can keep the cost down and churn them out by the billions. Henry Ford understood this principle. I'm surprised they have as many color choices as they do.

Okay, I get that the trem system is a part of what make a strat a strat, but if they produced as many HH, hardtail strats as they do normal ones im sure theyd sell pretty well.

Ive come across quite a few strat players who disable their trems too by screwing them down to the body and/or adding extra spings... maybe its just me tho, I just see trems as pointless over-engineering that affects sustain and tuning stability...plus i can just do vibrato with my fingers anyway :idk:

• Members
Okay, I get that the trem system is a part of what make a strat a strat, but if they produced as many HH, hardtail strats as they do normal ones im sure theyd sell pretty well.

Ive come across quite a few strat players who disable their trems too by screwing them down to the body and/or adding extra spings... maybe its just me tho, I just see trems as pointless over-engineering that affects sustain and tuning stability...plus i can just do vibrato with my fingers anyway
:idk:

Seriously, talk to the manager or owner at one of your local shops. I'm just guessing that they are difficult to sell and expensive to make.

And, if you've figured out a way to drop the pitch of your strings with your fingers (other than tuning keys), I want to take a lesson from you :love: Kidding, of course. I've heard players do amazing trem/vibrato effects using only their digits (Jeff Beck).

• Members

However they come, these Fenders should be easily modible, even if some routing is needed, which it may not necessarily need. That will depend on how they are routed at the factory.

This will be a good platform for heavily modding a guitar to your personal spects.:thu:

• Members
Seriously, talk to the manager or owner at one of your local shops. I'm just guessing that they are difficult to sell and expensive to make.

And, if you've figured out a way to drop the pitch of your strings with your fingers (other than tuning keys), I want to take a lesson from you
:love:
Kidding, of course. I've heard players do amazing trem/vibrato effects using only their digits (Jeff Beck).

Well, actually theres that thing where you can put pressure on the neck to bend it and drop the pitch of open strings... I stopped doing that though when I heard that Slash broke snapped a neck and ended up with a lip full of splinters once doing it :eek:

Oh and any excuse will do to post this vid :love:
[YOUTUBE]JRbPWcLode0[/YOUTUBE]

check out 0:25 :thu:

• Members

I called a forumite out on where the proof was too, there is nothing on Fender.com, nor anywhere on the interwebz, I'll believe it when I see them for real. The JM has just what I need for le cover band, dying to see the SB.

These models are legit. I work at a Fender dealer and we got the same email. Don't know why it's so hard to believe.

Archived