Opinions on ESP/LTD EC1000?

dZjupp

• Members

so a few questions. I've never been huge on active pickups but have always liked the esp eclipse body style. I went to GC this weekend and played the vintage black ec1000 and i've got to say, i was insanely impressed, the best guitar i've picked up in a long time. I guess i have 2 questions:

1. how long before i get tired of the EMG's?

When i played the guitar saturday i actually didn't mind them, before the only emg guitar i played was a warrior and i just never like it as it seemed to have no "dig in" factor, but this ec1000 did.

2. Should i save up and get the ESP?

I have to admit, the ltd was fabulous and very high quality, but i have an affinity for being a snob. Its either 1 ESP Eclipse or i could possibly swing the EC1000's - 1 in vintage black and one in silverburst.

• Members

so a few questions. I've never been huge on active pickups but have always liked the esp eclipse body style. I went to GC this weekend and played the vintage black ec1000 and i've got to say, i was insanely impressed, the best guitar i've picked up in a long time. I guess i have 2 questions:

When i played the guitar saturday i actually didn't mind them, before the only emg guitar i played was a warrior and i just never like it as it seemed to have no "dig in" factor, but this ec1000 did.

2. Should i save up and get the ESP?

I have to admit, the ltd was fabulous and very high quality, but i have an affinity for being a snob. Its either 1 ESP Eclipse or i could possibly swing the EC1000's - 1 in vintage black and one in silverburst.

As a proud owner of an ltd ec1000, I can say it's a great guitar. I've had it for about 3 years now, and I've had to replace the battery only once. The EMG's produce great sound out of a variety of amps from solid to tube. It's lightweight so it's easy on your shoulders too.

Honestly, I would just get the ec1000 instead of the more expensive eclipse. This guitar has held up to daily abuse, and the only thing that I have to adjust from time to time is the truss rod, depending on the weather sometimes the neck gets too lax so it needs to be tightened. But the hardware, the frets, the neck, even the sperzel tuners show no signs of letting up and I play the {censored} out of this thing everyday.

So I'd recommend 2 ltd's if I were you.

• Members

As a proud owner of an ltd ec1000, I can say it's a great guitar. I've had it for about 3 years now, and I've had to replace the battery only once. The EMG's produce great sound out of a variety of amps from solid to tube. It's lightweight so it's easy on your shoulders too.

Honestly, I would just get the ec1000 instead of the more expensive eclipse. This guitar has held up to daily abuse, and the only thing that I have to adjust from time to time is the truss rod, depending on the weather sometimes the neck gets too lax so it needs to be tightened. But the hardware, the frets, the neck, even the sperzel tuners show no signs of letting up and I play the {censored} out of this thing everyday.

So I'd recommend 2 ltd's if I were you.

WOW, 1 battery change? thanks for the info and input man, i keep going back and forth on should i get the ESP or LTD. I do know one thing, they are the best freaking guitars i've played in a long time as far as feel, playability and quality.

• Members

WOW, 1 battery change? thanks for the info and input man, i keep going back and forth on should i get the ESP or LTD. I do know one thing, they are the best freaking guitars i've played in a long time as far as feel, playability and quality.

Ya they are really good. In all honesty though, I don't think you really need to plunk down more cash for the eclipse. I haven't played an ESP eclipse but I can't imagine it being THAT much better than the LTD

• Members

The 1000 series are great guitars...I don't like the abalone overload so I'd actually be inclined to suggest (if you aren't crazy about all of the abalone either) to get 2 used 400 series. The 401 is a bit different...the 400 is no longer made but was also made in the same factory as the 1000 just minus the abalone and the locking tuners. You could get an EC 400 AT and then pick and choose colours depending upon what came up and when...or a 400 and then your 1000 in silverburst.

• Members

.I don't like the abalone overload so I'd actually be inclined to suggest (if you aren't crazy about all of the abalone either) to get 2 used 400 series.

Plenty of the new models don't have abalone. Despite trying to sell/trade mine, I'd still want another in the future. As assbackwards as that sounds part of it is that I just don't like the abalone everywhere and would much rather get the gold top or vintage amber burst. But in either case I love my Eclipse. It's held up very well and the quality, feel and tone are phenomenal.

I'd say save a couple bucks and stick with the LTD line. Maybe I'm biased, but I like the feel and playability of my LTD better than any Gibson LP I've played thus far. Can't say anything about the EMGs as I stuck with Duncans (not a fan of active pups).

• Members

I sold my Vintage Black EC1000 last year and I still regret it :cry:. The guitar sounded huge but I was tight on cash and had to get rid of it. I wouldn't hesistate to buy any LTD because most I've picked up have been awesome guitars, the 400 and 1000 series especially. I had an older H-1000 that was superb as well. Very solid guitars. My friends guitarist in his band had the ESP version and I thought it was practically the same guitar.

I also love EMG cleans but I might be the odd one out :idk:.

• Members

Plenty of the new models don't have abalone. Despite trying to sell/trade mine, I'd still want another in the future. As assbackwards as that sounds part of it is that I just don't like the abalone everywhere and would much rather get the gold top or vintage amber burst. But in either case I love my Eclipse. It's held up very well and the quality, feel and tone are phenomenal.

I'd say save a couple bucks and stick with the LTD line. Maybe I'm biased, but I like the feel and playability of my LTD better than any Gibson LP I've played thus far. Can't say anything about the EMGs as I stuck with Duncans (not a fan of active pups).

I know what you are saying with the abalone...I had the Viper 1000 and it was too much for me even though it doesn't have it around the entire body like the ECs do.

I don't like them more than Gibsons but I like them a lot...

IMG_0334.jpg

• Members

I've had both a ESP Eclipse II and ec1000 with passive SD's...both killer guitars.

The ESP was better in that the feel and tone was nicer, however, was it that much nicer than the ec1000 for the $? I have to be honest and say "NO" ...the only difference was a better nut, finish and the headstock read "ESP" Eclipse II which to a poser like myslf was cooler than the LTD.

I wouldn't mind having one of the sunburst ec1000's w/SD's that are worn/reliced...there was a HC formite who recently posted "NGD" who purchased one for around $400...I would love to find that thread to find out where it was purchased.

Great alternative to a LP...24 frets...lighter body....great construction quality....killer neck radious and fretwork.

Good luck.

• Members

I actually just got a EC1000 yesterday and have to say so far it's okay. I for sure still prefer the sound of my wolfgang. THe pups are actually hotter than the emg's with a much better clean tone. I do however have my amp dialed in to favor the peavey. I do however love the playablilty of the guitar and the light wieght.

• Members

I had an EC1000 in the Vintage Black. Really nice guitar. It was the previous owners #1 and it came with a frickin' GREAT setup! It was set up for 13s though. I switched it to 12s and thought it sounded great. I'm somewhat of a pickup snob, but I think the EMGs were pretty impressive. I think a lot of it has to do with what amps you are playing them through. At the time, my main amps were an AC15, a upgraded DRRI and a DSL. I thought the EMGs did a good job through all of them. Maybe not the most complex sounding pickups, but they are bright and never muddy.

I've had a number of LTDs, all bought used and all but one of them were Korean and I've never been disappointed in one of them.

P1070028a1.jpg

• Members

just a while back i thought i got tired of my 81s. i usually noodle high gain stuff and was thinking abt getting different pickups

but then i tried different settings and lower the gain alot. you know what, i do like it clean :p

if you have a friend who has 81s equipped axe, do yourself a favor to borrow and try is for 2 days or so. and see for yourself :)

maybe there is a no such thing as bad/good pickup. each player has their own taste and each pup has their own niche in music....

• Members

I don't like the controls or the neck profiles on them, which sucks because they are really great looking guitars.

As far as EMG's, I threw a set in the trash after spending $200 on them, they killed the tone and sucked the life out of one of my favorite Les Pauls..........

total waste of money.

• Members

I've had an EC1000 with EMG's and a Tempest Anniv. model with the Duncan JB and 59. About the same build quality. The EMG's got old to me after awhile, even through my Triple Rec. The Tempest stayed with me longer, mostly because of the pickups. The Schecter is weighted a little funny though compared to a Les Paul, kinda like an SG....

Archived