Two different kinds of GAS

scolfax

• Members

I'd also been looking for that one "last guitar I'll ever buy" instrument and maybe I now have it (1992 Yamaha SG1000). I didn't spend $2000 (although I think with current exchange rates it was close to $1200).

I think I'm happy now with my main three guitars (though GAS is, as we all know, unpredictable):

Yamaha Special Edition 1992 SG1000:

04.jpg

Tanglewood Sundance TW47B (all solid mahogany acoustic):

100_2570.jpg

Gretsch 5124:

G5124white_m.jpg

As an aside, to the person who talked about Nike as though they were automatically going to be better than cheapie shoes, do you realise how little it costs to make a pair of Nikes and how much you're paying just for the name? Seems you dug yourself a hole there.

• Members

I'd also been looking for that one "last guitar I'll ever buy" instrument and
maybe
I now have it
(1992 Yamaha SG1000)
. I didn't spend $2000 (although I think with current exchange rates it was close to $1200).

I
think
I'm happy now with my main three guitars (though GAS is, as we all know, unpredictable):

Yamaha Special Edition 1992 SG1000:

04.jpg

Now that is one guitar I have definitely had GAS for!

I see the old cheap/expensive guitar argument has reared its head again :facepalm:

• Members

1 - Plain old GAS

2 - GAS with money!

I will have a few bucks shortly and in the next six months will probably get "the last guitar I'll ever buy". No way will I spend more than $2k total, but this will be my most expensive and hopefully nicest.

Trouble is, I like everything, and it's almost impossible to narrow my choices down. We live in an amazing time, when you can get practically any guitar you can think of. It's paralyzing!

From past experience, I would reccomend not looking at a price to pay, but the guitar that really gets to you.

You don't need to talk yourself into a guitar because it costs "X" amount, but if no guitar really calls to you at your given price limit, don't just buy to buy. Start looking at a higher level guitar. when one gets under your skin so bad that you think about it all the time, that is the one to buy.

• Members

What do you have already, guitar-wise? Is there anything you don't have in your arsenal? Or do you just want the guitar to end all guitars?*

*Speaking as a long-time GAS sufferer, that'll never happen.
:facepalm:;)

I have three guitars (and can't justify owning more than that for what I do):

- Partsocaster with a terrific Warmoth neck, Callaham pickups, Fender body

- '91 Ibanez RG with a ToneZone in the bridge

- '98 PRS CE24 Mahogany

I am selling the PRS because I can't get along with the wide-thin neck. I was hoping to replace it with another mahogany HH guitar with a neck I like. But now I'm considering turning the partsocaster into an HH (kinda Charvel-style) and buying a nice Strat, maybe a Suhr or EJ.

I won't have the money for a while, so I'm going to enjoy the ride. Hopefully when I'm done I'll be "done"!

• Members

Good advice!

I have three guitars (and can't justify owning more than that for what I do):

- Partsocaster with a terrific Warmoth neck, Callaham pickups, Fender body

- '91 Ibanez RG with a ToneZone in the bridge

- '98 PRS CE24 Mahogany

I am selling the PRS because I can't get along with the wide-thin neck. I was hoping to replace it with another mahogany HH guitar with a neck I like. But now I'm considering turning the partsocaster into an HH (kinda Charvel-style) and buying a nice Strat, maybe a Suhr or EJ.

I won't have the money for a while, so I'm going to enjoy the ride. Hopefully when I'm done I'll be "done"!

If you get rid of the PRS, i'd say get an LP or SG style guitar with HH.

• Members

If you get rid of the PRS, i'd say get an LP or SG style guitar with HH.

Yes, definitely considering LP's but I'm not sure I'll get along with the scale length. They didn't work for me in the past but maybe I've changed. I'm going to borrow my friend's Gibson robot for a couple of days next week to find out.

• Members

You should check out the new EBMM AL HH which is a killer guitar and right in your budget. I never thought I would own an AL but when they cameout with the HH format with a Mahogany body and Rose wood neck, it was like it was a whole new guitar. And they also have some great 60s retro style colors like mint green, the equivalent to Fenders Surf Green and Coral Red equivalent to Fiesta red, the guitar just kills.

• Members

You should check out the new EBMM AL HH which is a killer guitar and right in your budget. I never thought I would own an AL but when they cameout with the HH format with a Mahogany body and Rose wood neck, it was like it was a whole new guitar. And they also have some great 60s retro style colors like mint green, the equivalent to Fenders Surf Green and Coral Red equivalent to Fiesta red, the guitar just kills.

Interesting idea! Thanks, will check it out!

• Members

There's GAS from need and GAS from want.

No such thing as "GAS from need."

When you come right down to it, nobody "needs" a guitar.

I believe everyone who plays and who wants one should have one. Hell, have 50 if you like. But it's not a "need" in any way.

• Members
No such thing as "GAS from need."

When you come right down to it, nobody "needs" a guitar.

I believe everyone who plays and who wants one should have one. Hell, have 50 if you like. But it's not a "need" in any way.

:confused: You'd have to define "need" in a peculiarly restrictive way to justify that. A mechanic doesn't need a wrench - unless he wants to remain a mechanic.

• Members

From past experience, I would reccomend not looking at a price to pay, but the guitar that really gets to you.

You don't need to talk yourself into a guitar because it costs "X" amount, but if no guitar really calls to you at your given price limit, don't just buy to buy. Start looking at a higher level guitar. when one gets under your skin so bad that you think about it all the time, that is the one to buy.

My first guitar was 60 dollars. I couldn't have been more pleased taking it home with the money I saved up (being a youngster), or more upset when it took a tumble and the neck broke in half.

If it speaks to you and it was made of toothpicks, you should get it.

Archived