Help with thin sounding Melody Maker with twin single coil pick ups

Toemoss

• Members

Hello , I am a new member who has been a visitor for about two years. Recently purchased a Melody Maker with two single coil pick ups. Found the sound to be very thin. Adjusted pick up heights with little effect. I like the neck but hate the sound. I have Fenders that have a good sound with the single coils, and realize it will never sound like my Fender Strat, but need help with the Melody Maker. Should I route and install humbuckers, all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Toemoss

• Members

I love the dual pickup Melody Makers. I have my single pickup MM at the shop right now getting routed for a neck pickup. I'm going to use a BG MM-90 in the bridge and the stock Gibson pickup in the neck.

Why not get a set of rail humbuckers that are designed for single coil routs? Carvin makes some nice ones for $33 each.

You have to be careful if you decide to replace the stock Melody Maker pickups. You won't be able to use standard Strat sized pickups because of the triangular base. You need something without that base or you need to rout out a notch for the base of the pickup. There are also some Seymour Duncan pickups that will work. Lace Sensors are another option.

You can also try adjusting the tone controls on your amp. That will likely make a big difference. :cop:

• Members
I love the dual pickup Melody Makers. I have my single pickup MM at the shop right now getting routed for a neck pickup. I'm going to use a
BG MM-90
in the bridge and the stock Gibson pickup in the neck.

Why not get a set of rail humbuckers that are designed for single coil routs?
Carvin
makes some nice ones for $33 each.

You have to be careful if you decide to replace the stock Melody Maker pickups. You won't be able to use standard Strat sized pickups because of the triangular base. You need something without that base or you need to rout out a notch for the base of the pickup. There are also some
Seymour Duncan
pickups that will work.
Lace Sensors
are another option.

You can also try adjusting the tone controls on your amp. That will likely make a big difference.
:cop:

I have a GFS XL twin rail in the bridge of my Tele copy and it sounds really good, split or HB.

• Members

Thanks for the insight, never thought about the Carvin pickups. Good advice ,

not having to mod the body. I tried tweaking the amp some, playing a 5e 3 clone at the time, so was limited some what. Still have the guitar at a friends house so have not yet played it with my Tube Driver(more adjustable). First impression was not too good. Going to Carvin website now! Thank You for your help!

• Members

I mostly play either strat single coils or full size HBs, but one of my favorite guitars to play through my 5E3 clone has a Dimarzio SDS1 which is sort of their take on a single coil-sized pickup with a P90 vibe. Pretty thick and meaty, but lots of bite.

I don't know anything about Melody Maker routings though so I have no idea if that would work.

• Members

Purchased the guitar to eventually gig with, once my chops are better. Idea was a inexpensive guitar to use with my Squire Tele Custom 2 with the p90s. What is the Fish and Chips, a equalizer or a overdrive? I play a mixture of Country and Blues and like a clean sound with a little tube overdrive. Most of the places we will play at will be small obscure bars in Texas and would not feel comfortable with expensive gear. Thanks for trying to remember Hecticone.

• Members

Thicker strings, different caps, new bridge.

Those pickups don't retrofit for any other singlecoils. You'll either have to have them rewound, buy one of the few aftermarket replacements out there, or route. Or try something that isn't a pickup swap, which probably is going to be a bigger assistance.

• Members
Purchased the guitar to eventually gig with, once my chops are better. Idea was a inexpensive guitar to use with my Squire Tele Custom 2 with the p90s. What is the Fish and Chips, a equalizer or a overdrive? I play a mixture of Country and Blues and like a clean sound with a little tube overdrive. Most of the places we will play at will be small obscure bars in Texas and would not feel comfortable with expensive gear. Thanks for trying to remember Hecticone.

Danelectro EQ pedal. Works great and they are cheap.

• Members

They are singley sounding but have meat. If you don't like em, try em with the pedal ya mentioned, or a more gainey amp.

I loved the sound of those, myself.

+1

I think changing anything on that guitar is a sacrilege, but it's your guitar. They are really in demand just as they were configured from Gibson.

I'd say -

A) Change you amp to something thicker or add pedals. (Mine sounds great through a Tech 21 Trademark 30 which is a very warm thick sounding little brute.)

B) Set it aside for now and get something heavier for the tone you've got in your head

C) Sell it to a new home and use the money for something better fitting your tastes

D) Find some humbucker pickups in a a single coil size so the guitar can easily be converted back at a later date.

The pickups have a bigger sound to them than Fender single coils (kind of somewhere between Fender single coils and Gibson P-90s) so if you're hearing a fatter sound on your Fenders (which I can understand) I think that's probably more attributable to the thinner slab of mahogany on the MM versus the thicker slabs of (most likely) alder (or possibly a good ash?) that you're accustomed to on your Fenders. So the pickup changes won't change that factor. The Melody Maker in my book is a cool guitar because it has such a lively/chimey resonance to it.

• Members

Thank you all for all the help. I have ordered the Carvin blade style pick up so as not to have to modify the guitar body. I did not realize the guitar was so special, seemed like a good guitar for a low price. Paid $350.00 at my friends shop with a gig bag out the door. I did have to tell him his car in High School was better than mime(lol) for that price. Made me say it three times! The Carvin pick up seemed to be the best compromise and the ohm rating is the same as the single coil that Cratz2 recommended. Two inexpensive pick ups for one inexpensive guitar. Thanks again for all the input!

• Members

Yeah, you did get a good deal on yours (and that's about the same price I got mine for without a bag)

But now they are going for $489 and that's just with the one single coil in the bridge. For me, that guitar is just a little bit too limited.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MelodyMakWW/

They now have coming out a pretty cool version of a Melody Maker with dual P-90s, but unfortunately :cry: they've made it a Jonas Brothers signature model. :facepalm:

87196.jpg

• Members

The Carvin pickup will not retrofit and will require some light routing.

Melody Makers will accept any pickup designed for a Strat that does not have a triangular base plate. You should have no problems fitting the Carvin pickups. I've installed Lace and BG pickups in a few Melody Makers with no problems. The Carvin does not have a triangular base. It should fit with no problem and no modifications.

As for Melody Makers, they are bottom of the line Gibsons that play like much more expensive guitars. They are one of the best deals out there IMHO. I like them so much that I'm selling my SG and keeping the MM.

Archived