New Gibson Model Alert!

metal0822

• Members

Fail to see anything special here

I've always hated that body shape though...

And I find HSH guitars to be "jack of all trades, master of none".

Maybe in a cheaper "Studio" version, with nickel hardware, I'd consider it cause I prefer the longer scale and it's looks more confortable to play than a LP

• Members

First impression - I like it. Looks interesting. I like quilted finishes. It's also an actual guitar unlike their $5k Fireturd toy I'd expect to find at Toys R Us.

Only thing I don't like is the scale length. Not sure why gibson would make a 25 1/2" scale when they're known for the shorter scale which is one reason I prefer them to Fenders.

• Members

"It all comes in at a price to put it in the hands of hard-working players everywhere, too, while packing sounds that set it apart from other classic Gibson models."

MSRP $2,299.00

North of $2,000 does NOT put it at a price that will place one in the hands of hard working guitar players everywhere. A good street price will still be about $1,500. There are a LOT of really good guitars that can be had for half that street price.

"But it's a GIBSON"? That applies to Les Pauls, SGs and Thinline Hollowbodies. The fact that it is a Gibson doesn't matter much for gibson's stepchildren.

• Members

Folks were bitching that the Firebird X was too different from traditional guitars to like.

Now folks are bitching that this release is "nothing new."

Lulz.

Ironic isn't it? What's interesting is where the 50s tribute LP fits into all of this. It's definitely nothing new but there is a huge demand for them and what I've heard about them has been at least 90% positive.

• Members

o sorry someone already made a thread. i did look for one and came up empty. i think this is a step in the right direction for gibson. sure its not EXACTLY everything i have ever wanted in a guitar for $1.50, but its way closer to something i would be interested in looking at than some of the other things they have been releasing lately.

• Members

Don't like the quilted finish and too expensive. Pass.

You kidding me? $1399 street price? Quit bitching, it's a sweet guitar for a sweet price without a bunch of {censored}ing {censored}ty gadgets.

I'd prefer a mahogany body, but other than that, I'd rock the {censored} out of it!

• Members

This is a perfect example, to me, of how a quilted maple top is done badly. It's the same kind of finish that makes me not like a lot of PRS' guitars sometimes, because they always have these really obnoxious, loud finishes that don't work very well. Finishes like those make me want to hide in my traditionalist bomb shelter and protect myself with my 10 pound Les Paul bludgeon.

• Members
This is a perfect example, to me, of how a quilted maple top is done badly. It's the same kind of finish that makes me not like a lot of PRS' guitars sometimes, because they always have these really obnoxious, loud finishes that don't work very well. Finishes like those make me want to hide in my traditionalist bomb shelter and protect myself with my 10 pound Les Paul bludgeon.

yeah i agree sometimes the PRS's can look grand with the quilt but on this one:
PRS%20Custom%2022.jpg

No thanks.

• Members
they weren't popular guitars the first time around for gibson.. so why the hell do they think they'd work now?
:idk:

there are so many people saying they would love to see xyz model come back and its too bad they didnt sell too many :blah:

there are so many people saying gibson is coming out with all this tech crap or insanely priced atrocities or reissues or sigs or :blah:

now this particular model is aimed at more of an hc style i think. offering a different body shape and scale length than the usual gibson. also adding a middle single coil, a new bridge, a couple small things. combine that with probably a 1500-1800 dollar range guitar. i think "gibsons new..." forces some people to come in with a "what little parts of their plan can we nit pick at" stance already established.

Archived