Why did Fender stop using Lace Sensors?

Faber

• Members

And no, I'm not looking for the "cause they suck, dooD" reply

These are pretty cool PUs. Different from the vintage style to be sure, but hardly more so than the noiseless ones Fender's been using since. So what brought about the change? Dissatisfied customers? Business disagreements btw Fender and Lace?

• Members

I think it was something regarding Fender and Lace having some sort of exclusive agreement or contract. when that ended they went their seperate ways. Lace was available elsewhere and Fender developed their own noiseless pickups.

I;d have to google the specifics, so I may be way off ;)

• Members

Because Vintage Noiseless sound better?

Oh, and they look retarded. Strats need polepieces.

You think they sound better? Interesting, cause I feel just the opposite. They are a bit fatter I think, than the VN, and I like that.

Can't agree with you on the looks either - I love the look of LS and EMGs

• Members

I think it was something regarding Fender and Lace having some sort of exclusive agreement or contract. when that ended they went their seperate ways. Lace was available elsewhere and Fender developed their own noiseless pickups.

I;d have to google the specifics, so I may be way off
;)

Sounds right...they contracted Bill Lawrence to design the SCN noiseless pickups for the American Models. PS: The Lace Hot Golds rock!! I've had the old stock Silver and Blue but the Hot Golds are in a class of their own.

• Members

I figured it was business, cause while I certainly don't agree with all the ragging on Fender noiseless, that you see on boards like these, I don't see how they could be considered an upgrade from the LSs

• Members

I believe there was some business agreements that were expensive for Fender, and also that traditional players have a tendency to be extremely conservative and anxious about any change, no matter if it is about sound or look. Laces never became popular among them, the same thing that have happened with the Vintage Noiseless who always are downgraded. I use Lace Hot Golds, and they

• Members

I heard that Fender stopped using them because they wanted an exclusive relationship with Lace. When Lace went off on their own and rejected the exclusive arrangement, Fender developed their own noiseless pickup. I haven't confirmed this, but that's what I recall hearing.

BTW, Fender has started to use the Lace Sensors again in the Buddy Guy sig model.

• Members

BTW, Fender has started to use the Lace Sensors again in the Buddy Guy sig model.

They never stopped. Ditto the James Burton Tele: it's only the Clapton and Beck Strats which dumped the Lace Sensors for, rspectively, Vintage and Hot Noiseless PUs.

• Members

It was partially a marketing decision, brought about by the new (at the time) trend toward everything "vintage". Lace's did/do not fall into that category sonically as well as visually. I, for one, loved them -- they were very good at capturing the sound of the guitar, IMO.

• Members

I heard that Fender stopped using them because they wanted an exclusive relationship with Lace. When Lace went off on their own and rejected the exclusive arrangement, Fender developed their own noiseless pickup. I haven't confirmed this, but that's what I recall hearing.

That makes sense to me. Also, Fender could sell their own noiseless single coils aftermarket. Lace was already doing so, but Fender wasn't making a cent from it.

• Members

I believe all the discussion about the deal between Lace and Fender ending was the primary driving factor. But they kept using them in the EC sigs and others until the Vintage Noiseless and traditional signles slowly replaced them.

But the Lace's also had a bad rep with players, who mostly found the Gold and Silver them flat and lifeless compared to the PU's they were supposed to emulate. By the time Fender developed the Vintage Noiseless, there was a whole revolution in trying to make a humless single that sounded true to vintage pieces (which Lace did not). Kinman, DiMarzio, Fender and others really came up with PU's that got far closer to traditional Fender tone, it was a major step forward from the old Lace's. The VN's where a new item when they introduced with the American Deluxe series, and players/consumers were really blown away by the VN's more traditional tone. And then EC went for them over the Lace, and then eventually dumped the whole noiseless idea altogether. I'm not too sure what spurred the VN to SCN change, but hose (which were developed with Bill Lawerence) came several years later.

Lace in turn kept developing and has come up with far more complex and deeper sounding PU's that their old '90's models as well. Actually, these were just starting to improve as Fender was dropping them, poor timing.

Also, it seems Kinman and DiMarzio's have received far more kudos over their efforts than either Fender or Lace.

• Members

I believe all the discussion about the deal between Lace and Fender ending was the primary driving factor. But they kept using them in the EC sigs and others until the Vintage Noiseless and traditional signles slowly replaced them.

But the Lace's also had a bad rep with players, who mostly found the Gold and Silver them flat and lifeless compared to the PU's they were supposed to emulate. By the time Fender developed the Vintage Noiseless, there was a whole revolution in trying to make a humless single that sounded true to vintage pieces (which Lace did not). Kinman, DiMarzio, Fender and others really came up with PU's that got far closer to traditional Fender tone, it was a major step forward from the old Lace's. The VN's where a new item when they introduced with the American Deluxe series, and players/consumers were really blown away by the VN's more traditional tone. And then EC went for them over the Lace, and then eventually dumped the whole noiseless idea altogether. I'm not too sure what spurred the VN to SCN change, but hose (which were developed with Bill Lawerence) came several years later.

Lace in turn kept developing and has come up with far more complex and deeper sounding PU's that their old '90's models as well. Actually, these were just starting to improve as Fender was dropping them, poor timing.

Also, it seems Kinman and DiMarzio's have received far more kudos over their efforts than either Fender or Lace.

Actually, the Clapton Strat does still have the VNs in it.

Archived