What are the Best Les Paul Copies

codek

• Members

I can only comment on my Epi 2010 Tribute model. For $700 I got a guitar that meets or beats the Gibson Standard specs. For another $100, my tech put a bone nut in, cut it down just right, leveled my fret board, set up, and it plays better than any guitar in the store.

DSC_01133.jpg

• Members

I can only comment on my Epi 2010 Tribute model. For $700 I got a guitar that meets or beats the Gibson Standard specs. For another $100, my tech put a bone nut in, cut it down just right, leveled my fret board, set up, and it plays better than any guitar in the store.

DSC_01133.jpg

I played one at a local mom/pop and it absolutely sucked despite looking great on paper. Not in the same league as the old Elitist I A/B'd it with. I am sure there are some good ones out there though.

• Members

I played one at a local mom/pop and it absolutely sucked despite looking great on paper. Not in the same league as the old Elitist I A/B'd it with. I am sure there are some good ones out there though.

I'm happy with mine, but I am curious on your take. What didn't you like about it - playability or sound? I'm not experienced enough to know the differences between newer models and some of the older models, but I'd like to learn. The only thing I could do with the one I bought was compare it to my 1994 Gibby Standard. The Epi sounds better - playability is better due to custom set up. Thanks for your opinion.

• Members

I'm happy with mine, but I am curious on your take. What didn't you like about it - playability or sound? I'm not experienced enough to know the differences between newer models and some of the older models, but I'd like to learn. The only thing I could do with the one I bought was compare it to my 1994 Gibby Standard. The Epi sounds better - playability is better due to custom set up. Thanks for your opinion.

It just didn't feel good. Playability and sound was very subpar for a higher end epi. The finish was very heavy, the fretboard felt very cheap. I owned a MIK '56 GT RI Epi LP, and a Joe Perry Boneyard Epi LP - both played/sounded better than this thing. I played a slash sig Epi LP (tobacco burst), and it too was decent. I have owned several Gibson 80's/early 90's LP Studios which all played very well. But the experience I had with the current Epi Tribute model just left a bad tast in my mouth. I'm glad you are digging yours.

• Members

It's not MIJ, but the ESP LTD line is solid. I've tried a lot of the import single cut stuff looking for one and the EC401VF is as good a guitar as you'll find for under a grand. I'm not a huge ESP fan, but I love this guitar.

ec-401vf_tsb.jpg

ESP make solid consistent instruments - why the hate?

• Members
ESP make solid consistent instruments - why the hate?

No hate, just not my bag. Can't really tell you why, every one I've ever touched has been a fine enough instrument, even the low end stuff. I just like other things better. Personal preference, I guess? Except that EC401. :love:

• Members

So Codek, just curious, after reading both of your threads, why you don't mention in this thread that you already own two LP's.

I have two LP's and want something that sounds completely different. I'd prefer a rosewood neck but don't most tele's come with maple? I'm not sure what type of pickups I want right now, I'm a beginner/intermediate guitarist and have not tried out too many pickups besides the stock on my lp standard and agile 2500. Price, I'm thinking of two ranges sub $500 and sub $1000.

So what is it that you don't like about the 2 LP's you already have? What are you hoping to find in a copy that you don't already have in your LP Standard? Why are you trying to tell us you don't buy into brands, when you've already bought into them? What gives?

• Members

3 weeks ago I walked into a guitar store with the intentions of buying a Gibson Les Paul. Had 3500.00 in my pocket. 2 hours later I walked out with the 56 epi with p90's. I just couldn't justify the extra cash when the epi played so darn nice and sounded good also.

I'm sure I will upgrade the pups and electronics at some time but will it even get me close to what I would have spent no way.

• Members

DSC_01133.jpg

same here I have the 1960 tribute, a little setup and she screams

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zflgeg.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/24l1ljc.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ahcuvm.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/rqzwj9.jpg

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cortley-Les-Paul-Style-Electric-Guitar-Case-/160520673794?pt=Guitar&hash=item255fc71a02

this one sold but if you can find one of these they play and sound just great. I have owned one for two years and they sound very vintage. very high quality pickups like a Duncan Seth Lover.Not wax potted.

Bolt on neck that plays very well.

bought mine at a local pawn for 150.00.

These are a hidden gem.

• Members

My own personal Heerby LS-700BS

Do a google search and it's pretty much the only Heerby guitar that exists on the web.

5267730150_bc5f12dd96_b.jpg

5267730528_69d0b0e17c_b.jpg

5267731036_992e982830_b.jpg

The construction is fantastic, wood choices are premium that would cost a very pretty penny at today's price, pickups are very close to PAF specs (original Maxon U1000's) and the playability is fantastic for a les paul, even though the frets are worn.

Scored it from Canada for under $700 :D

• Members

The Edwards Les Pauls are generally considered to be outstanding. I have played several and was VERY impressed. The real plus with the Edwards models is that they have the exact specs, correct "open book" headstock and have the "long tenon" joint...AND they are not chambered or "weight relieved".

Yamaha AES series (620 and above) are fantastic guitars and a great value....Just my opinion.

• Members

Well I am not as experienced as most of these guys but I have had a couple guitars now. One being a sweet used Gibson Les Paul Special w/dual P90's and it was a great guitar but for 1/2 the money I paid for it I bought my used Hagstrom Select Swede and it killed so the LP was traded for a SG Standard which the Swede will hang with. Not as good of electronics but that is your personal preference,I still use the stockers but just haven't decided which I want in there yet :)

DSCF0910.jpg

Archived