"Tesla" generator just snake oil ??

• Members

I know we have the techie types here. I spotted this ad about "Free Energy". They showed off a small modified bridge rectifier hooked up to antenna pulling in a few milliamps of power to charge a small cell phone, but the Tesla that my dad told me about worked with LARGE generators and not this small stuff, so I'm wondering if this design is even a "Tesla" at all. Besides that, a few milliamps isn't going to release me from dependance on the hydro company.

http://www.teslasecret.com/indexn.php?hop=green411

Dan

• Members

Interesting, I suppose it's possible that enough stray potential could be picked up off an antenna to charge a cell phone.

If I remember right, a Tesla coil is a series of step up transformers that raise the voltage level to the point where it will arc to the nearest thing.

• Members

You can certainly pull electricity out of the air, but its no 'secret' to anybody with a library.

Tesla's stuff has been documented for many decades.

What IS snakeoil is anyone wanting to sell you the 'secrets'.

BTW: You cant get enough USEABLE power to do much of anything.

(saw all this before during the energy crunch in the 70s.....)

• Members

The fact the site is trying to sell something says it all...

Tesla did do some stuff that is still very controversial, but also did a lot of other stuff that is in wide usage today (like using AC to distribute electricity, the induction motor, 3-phase power, many others). The fact that the US Govt. seized all his property and papers immediately after his death and hasn't released any of it nearly 100 years later also tells you something....

There is a fairly new branch of electronics called 'energy harvesting', where all kinds of different techniques (piezoelectric, Seebeck effect, capturing power from an antenna, and a bunch of others) are used to get free power to operate micro-power devices, such as strain gages on bridges and other remote sensors. But you're not going to get enough power to, say, run a TV... yet.

• Members

The fact that the US Govt. seized all his property and papers immediately after his death and hasn't released any of it nearly 100 years later also tells you something....

Some of the things he was working on could be used as military weapons, such as focusing a frequency beam on an object to explode it. So I could see why some of his things were locked up.

Dan

• Members

Wow, the dude made a radio.
:idk:

Probably works pretty well next door to a big transmitter tower.
:)

Terry D.

Yeah, he'd probably get more juice out of it if he added a ground wire.

If he added a tuned circuit and earphones, he could listen to talk radio.

Archived