Stupid Strat Question

Shamdog

• Members

Thinking about switching from an LP to Strat, but want to keep a humbucker in the bridge. I have a line on a sweet standard Strat, but it is S/S/S. Are all strats routed for a H/S/S configuration, and just the pickguards different, or is each version routed differently?

Thanks.

• Members

Most are routed for a humbucker in the bridge, but the only sure way is to unscrew the pickguard and take a peek

Every time I bought a Strat, I tried to convince myself to get a "real" SSS one... always ended up buying a HSS :)

Last one is an American Special HSS, love it!

There's still two things that prevent it from feeling like a Gibson:

- The middle pickup is in the way (small adaptation)

- The strings are much closer to the guitar body

Beside that, a good HSS Strat can do so much stuff, and you're not stuck with the muddy neck pickup :)

• Members

muddy neck pickup:confused:, pisha... i think you need some different picups bud:lol:... sham, FWIW, i have a synburst MIM Standard with Rose Pickups Buff Beauities and a Pickers Parts 7 way switching system and mine is plenty versatile. AWESOME cleans and EXCELLENT dirt, not an HB, but great none the less:thu:

• Members

Hope you're planning to keep the bridge singlepick up in for a while in any case - you may be surprised.

That single bridge pick up can do loads of things a humbucker doesn't do quite as well, so if you keep the LP too, I'd give a go to the bridge single coil.

You might like it for different things. :) If you think the sound you get is too bright, roll off the tone knob - it goes a long way. :thu:

• Members

If you think the sound you get is too bright, roll off the tone knob - it goes a long way.
:thu:

Except that most Strats don't have a tone control wired to the bridge pickup. It's a very common mod, but most didn't come from the factory that way. I don't know if the newer ones do or not though.

• Members

Except that most Strats don't have a tone control wired to the bridge pickup. It's a very common mod, but most didn't come from the factory that way. I don't know if the newer ones do or not though.

G&L Legacy's have a cool setup called PTB (Passive Treble Bass). Instead of the same tone circuit on both knobs in typical Fender fashion, it's a Treble knob and a Bass knob that works in all 5 positions.

• Members

I think HSS with covered humbuckers are dead sexy.

87997-1-big.jpg

She's not bad either
:D

LTDRosiePino.jpg

I just built a hardtail Strat with this configuration. It has a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge and GFS overwound alnicos in the mid/ neck). Man I love the BB pickups. I have 5 strats and all but one are "fat".

• Members

I just built a hardtail Strat with this configuration. It has a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge and GFS overwound alnicos in the mid/ neck). Man I love the BB pickups. I have 5 strats and all but one are "fat".

The girl looks like a hardtail too!! Makes me wanna play with my whammy.

• Members

I love all 5 of my Strats but i'm no traditionalist that says a Strat is three singles only..I have found that the versatility of the Humbucker in the bridge position along with a splitter switch to give me single coil tones is the way to go..

On my modded MIM i use Suhr V60lp's in the Neck and Mid with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate in the bridge ..I do have a push pull pot on this guitar to split the humbucker but i seldom use it..

On the other hand my ultra has the blue lace sensor in the neck a Silver in the middle and dual Reds in the bridge..I do use the splitter often on this guitar..

Keep in mind though the humbucker will give you thicker tones then single coil's but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul there is more to it than having a humbucker to make a guitar sound like a Les Paul...

• Members

A good bridge pickup option would be a BG S90. I've got one paired with a BG Phatty neck pu (no mid) - this combo is sweet.

I have a Phatty in the neck and a Hellabucker in the bridge of my '51. That's what I'm trying to recreate with this Strat.

I love my BG pups!!!

• Members

All american Standards have for the last 20+ years. I've owned quite few over the years and thought it was normal a strat having the bottom tone pot for the bridge pickup...in fact it was years later after starting out 21yrs ago that i found out it didnt used to be like that...same with the 5 way selector, I thought that was the way they always were.

• Members

I'll say this much, I have a MIM strat that is incredible. It's my go-to guitar but for versatility's sake i put a hot rail in it that is single coil sized. The thing wails! It has a great distortion sound and very over the top. The only problem is that the balance gets thrown off going from a single coil to a humbucker. The EQs are obviously totally different and what sounds good on a single coil doesnt sound so great on a hot-rail. I have to be by my amp at any time that the song style is changing and i have to switch pickups. Maybe it's just that i'm grossly OCD when it comes to tone, but for me it's a bit of a hassle.

It's kinda off topic but that's my two cents. If anyone else disagrees then speak up! I dont wanna be misleading. Just my opinion.

• Members

Be still my beating heart! Dream guitar: a covered HSS shell pink hard tail with soft-v neck

And i thought i was the only dude who'd ever want a shell pink strat! They only look cool when they're beaten up and worn. That goes for any guitar really, but especially for a shell pink strat!

Archived