Ok, I'm about to FREAK OUT!!!!!! Confirmed delivery, no box. WTF????

notjonahbutnoah

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to ship high end expensive art collectables by UPS back in the 1990's. This is when they introduced the "driver release" policy which means unless the shipper specifies a signature is required on delivery they just leave it on your porch or back yard. Once these UPS idiots left a $500 signed limited edition art print in a customers backyard in the rain...:facepalm:

• Members

Might be because they use independent contractors rather than bringing drivers up through the ranks. One of my cousins and her husband became an independent contractor for Fedex residential ground deliveries. While they are good hardworking people (they now own a bar that is doing very well) it was plainly obvious from their background that Fedex Residential deliveries was not something that was going to fit them well. I get the impression as long as you can buy/lease a truck and don't have many moving violations Fedex will sign you up.

Yep. I'm usually at work when this stuff is delivered, but the wife told me the other week that the guy who delivered the package (the one that was late and did manage to get to us) was in a Penske truck. I thought that was weird until someone (probably you) educated me on their practice of farming out deliveries.

• Members

I used to ship high end expensive art collectables by UPS back in the 1990's. This is when they introduced the "driver release" policy which means unless the shipper specifies a signature is required on delivery they just leave it on your porch or back yard. Once these UPS idiots left a $500 signed limited edition art print in a customers backyard in the rain...
:facepalm:

They were leaving stuff on porches in the 80's. The default policy at that time left it to driver (or his supervisor) discretion whether they'd leave a package or postcard. :idk:

As for why they left a package in the rain...well that is pretty damn stupid. Even though they wouldn't know what was inside the package and fragile stickers being so prevalent became invisible, that is a :facepalm: move. I never got the concept of leaving a package anywhere other than the front porch...especially unprotected from elements.

• Members

Might be because they use independent contractors rather than bringing drivers up through the ranks. One of my cousins and her husband became an independent contractor for Fedex residential ground deliveries. While they are good hardworking people (they now own a bar that is doing very well) it was plainly obvious from their background that Fedex Residential deliveries was not something that was going to fit them well. I get the impression as long as you can buy/lease a truck and don't have many moving violations Fedex will sign you up.

Yes, I had Christmas gifts delivered by a guy in a FedEx shirt driving a cargo van rented from UHaul.

• Members

I should take this time to report a good deed by a UPS driver that happened to me recently. I ordered one of the Malden guitars and learned AFTER it had been shipped that it was shipped with SIGNATURE REQUIRED. That's always a pain for me because everything delivered to me is just left on the porch regardless of carrier. So knowing I had to be present to receive my guitar or face a twenty mile round trip to pick it up I took time off work to be there. Before leaving for work that morning I left a note just in case stating that I "needed to step out" and would return by 2 PM (UPS usually passes through my neighborhood between 2 & 3:00). So I got home at 2:00 and found my note on the door as I'd left it. About 20 minutes later the driver showed up. He mentioned he had seen my note and decided to take his lunch break and make mine his first delivery afterward. :thu: No poop on UPS for that one.

• Members

Yep. I'm usually at work when this stuff is delivered, but the wife told me the other week that the guy who delivered the package (the one that was late and did manage to get to us) was in a Penske truck. I thought that was weird until someone (probably you) educated me on their practice of farming out deliveries.

I will say, though, that both UPS and FedEx lease extra trucks during peak season. It's much more economical for them to pay the rental/lease fees for those extra trucks, rather than have to maintain a larger fleet of trucks for twelve months, when they're only needed for about three weeks.

Archived