Two kinds of people-Stax vs Motown

• Members

Do you agree that there are two kinds of people-those who prefer Motown and those who prefer Stax records? Which are you?

There's been plenty of great Motown records but overall I prefer the rawness of Stax records.

PS Rufus Thomas is awesome and under appreciated.

• Members

I never liked the "sound" of Motown stuff at all. Let's see.. when did it all start attacking the airwaves? .. summer of 62 or so? Out of nowhere, the stuff just wouldn't quit coming and I didn't like any of it (some songs.. yes .. "sound" .. no) . I even listen to the multitrack stems of my favorite "song" (Ain't No mtn high enough) and love the performance of Marvin etc, but yuk.. that sound. wait a minute... I do like the sound on Dionne Warwick's Walk On By .. but was that even done at Motown?

Stax is all vibe all the time imo. Take "Hip Hug Her" or "Summertime" by Booker T or any other dozen recordings there. Yummy.

• Members

One of the very first 45s I bought was Hip-Hug-Her from Booker T. Obviously I liked the tune a lot, but it was the B-side Summertime that really knocked me out.

We also played the grooves off of Mustang Sally/In The Midnight Hour, and Soul Man/Hold On I'm Coming, not knowing anything about Stax or who played backup, etc.

So yeah, Stax I'd have to say - but there was no lack of love for Motown, either - Mary Wells, The Supremes, and in particular, Jr. Walker. Not to forget Mr. Wonder later on.

My grandfather lived in Detroit, and for a lot of years we went to Michigan for summer vacation and drove past Motown records on the way to grandfather's old apartment. His apartment was just so much like the one Sean Connery's character lived in in Finding Forrester - a once upscalish apartment building in a neighborhood that the slums took over. All these old white folks - many of them who, like grandfather, lost their fortunes in the Depression - in the 60s and 70s still living in the old apartment houses since the 20s or 30s - we'd look out the windows and watch the black kids shooting craps against the old brick fences separating the apartment buildings housing ex-Chrysler or Packard corporate types fallen on hard times. Had those old wrought iron cage-like elevator doors, and the whole building absolutely reeked of corned beef and boiled cabbage...all this associates way back in my head with the old Motown material.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I'll have to go against the grain here and state a pro-Motown position. They had all the elements: The sweet strings, the boomin' (well by 1960s sonic standards at least) bass, the tambourine, the swing and most of all the melodies. I also like Motown's chord progressions better. Nothin' against Stax at all, but the main difference is that Motown's roots are jazz and Stax's roots are the blues.

• Members

I'm definitely more Stax than Motown, for sure. In the 60s, I just couldn't get into Motown stuff. But I found myself drifting to the grittier recordings, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin. (Aretha was on Atlantic, of course, in the day, but Redding was on Stax, as well as Atlantic sub-label, Atco.) I also found myself sucked into Al Green's music (he was on Hi Records). I think the first Motown stuff I really bonded with was the wave of socially conscious stuff in the late 60s -- but it was "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" that really grabbed me. Of course, there wasn't much that rose to that level (from anyone) before or after, but... damn, what a song.

• Members

I'll have to go against the grain here and state a pro-Motown position. They had all the elements: The sweet strings, the boomin' (well by 1960s sonic standards at least) bass, the tambourine, the swing and most of all the melodies. I also like Motown's chord progressions better. Nothin' against Stax at all, but the main difference is that Motown's roots are jazz and Stax's roots are the blues.

Ditto, ditto and ditto.

• Members

Sinatra. (He did a later studio version in '67; the one I'm referring to is from 1946, from
The Voice of Frank Sinatra
.)

I really lost interest in Glee after the first couple episodes; I do still watch American Idol, though. I think it is crucial how you first become exposed to the music. Shows like Glee and AI make the music the focal point. It isn

• Moderators

New idea for Glee episode. Motown vs. Stax. The episode peaks when Glee supervillian Jane Lynch jumps out on stage and nails a rendition of Isaac Hayes' Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic.

[video=youtube;8N8k3uJu6K8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8k3uJu6K8

Lynch grinds and pivots (wearing a BeDazzled track suit) while laying down the law a la Isaac, the stunned cast looks on, nods and smiles at each other and join her in the chorus singing...

"Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic..." yeah, ahh, ungh

At that point, Motown goes down like the Titanic. Or rather, like Detroit. Hot Buttered What?!?!

Hot Buttered Glee, ya'all

• Members

I've always preferred Motown. It has a sweeping epic quality that makes it unique. The songwriting and arrangements are amazing.

The cool thing about music though is that you get to like more than just one thing. So I can like Motown and also like Stax/Volt. Albert King's "Live Wire/Blues Power" is one of the best guitar records ever.

• Members

Do you agree that there are two kinds of people-those who prefer Motown and those who prefer Stax records? Which are you?

There's been plenty of great Motown records but overall I prefer the rawness of Stax records.

PS Rufus Thomas is awesome and under appreciated.

Naw, I don't agree with the basic premise.

There's a diff between the 2 companies's production styles & the markets they were aimed at but to carry that over to the listeners is a false dichotomy b/c the diffs are really fairly slight.

Motown had more of a mainstream pop goal, Stax more of a catch-all for whichever regional acts they signed...

...but to put too fine a point on this is like drawing a line between people who like 2 shades of the same color.

• Members

No, no bonding going on here.

People who are curious about music before their time or who had parents who played "oldie" stations would be familiar with Stax/Volt or Motown in addition to people who grew up with that music.

I listen to oldies all the time. I'd say 50-75% of my own personal musical influence is pre-1970. Mostly surf and rockabilly though. I've heard of Motown but don't associate any particular sound or style with it. Early soul I guess? Smokey Robinson? Tears of a Clown, or some shit like that? Great music, but I couldn't care less what record company it came from. I'm more of a Phil Spector kind of guy anyway. Good producer and he kills bitches. :)

• Members

I've heard of Motown but don't associate any particular sound or style with it. Early soul I guess?

I'm hardly an expert myself, but here's a list someone compiled of 100 greatest Motown songs that, if nothing else, might indicate a sort of vibe or sound that they had:

1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

2. My Girl - Temptations

3. Reach Out I'll Be There - Four Tops

4. Where Did Our Love Go? - Supremes

5. What's Goin' On? - Marvin Gaye

6. Dancing in the Street - Martha & The Vandellas

7. I Want You Back - Jackson 5

8. Superstition - Stevie Wonder

9. Please Mr. Postman - Marvelettes

10. My Guy - Mary Wells

11. (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave - Martha & The Vandellas

12. Do You Love Me? - Contours

13. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye

14. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

15. The Tracks of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

16. Shotgun - Jr. Walker & The All Stars

17. I'll Be There - Jackson 5

18. Baby Love - Supremes

19. Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - Temptations

20. Uptight (Everything's Alright) - Stevie Wonder

21. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) - Four Tops

22. The Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

23. Stop! In the Name of Love - Supremes

24. You've Really Got a Hold On Me - Miracles

25. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - Temptations

26. Baby I Need Your Lovin' - Four Tops

27. You Are the Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder

28. Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

29. Money (That's What I Want) - Barrett Strong

30. Leavin' Here - Eddie Holland

31. Shop Around - Miracles

32. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Supremes

33. You Can't Hurry Love - Supremes

34. Endless Love - Lionel Richie & Diana Ross

35. Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder

36. Ooo Baby Baby - Miracles

37. Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas

38. It Takes Two - Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston

39. War - Edwin Starr

40. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

41. Super Freak Part I - Rick James

42. Living For the City - Stevie Wonder

43. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips

44. Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder

45. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Temptations

46. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations

47. Cloud Nine - Temptations

48. Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today) - Temptations

49. Smiling Faces Sometimes - Undisputed Truth

50. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak For You) - Isley Brothers

51. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted? - Jimmy Ruffin

52. Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye

53. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye

54. Playboy - Marvelettes

55. Jimmy Mack - Martha & The Vandellas

56. Don't Mess With Bill - Marvelettes

57. Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations

58. Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston

59. All Night Long (All Night) - Lionel Richie

60. Going To a Go-Go - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

61. Fingertips Part II - Stevie Wonder

62. The One Who Really Loves You - Mary Wells

63. Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye) - Gladys Knight & The Pips

64. Love Hangover - Diana Ross

65. Upside Down (Inside Out) - Diana Ross

66. Brick House - Commodores

67. I Wish It Would Rain - Temptations

68. Beechwood 4-5789 - Marvelettes

69. The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game - Marvelettes

70. Bernadette - Four Tops

71. Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell

72. Hello - Lionel Richie

73. It's the Same Old Song - Four Tops

74. You've Made Me So Very Happy - Brenda Holloway

75. Jamie - Eddie Holland

76. Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

77. Quicksand - Martha & The Vandellas

78. Come and Get These Memories - Martha & The Vandellas

79. Keep on Truckin' Part I - Eddie Kendricks

80. Needle In a Haystack - Velvelettes

81. (I'm a) Roadrunner - Junior Walker & The All-Stars

82. ABC - Jackson 5

83. I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross

84. Give It To Me Baby - Rick James

85. Cruisin' - Smokey Robinson

86. My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me) - David Ruffin

87. Three Times a Lady - Commodores

88. Heaven Must Have Sent You - Bonnie Pointer/The Elgins

89. Let It Whip - Dazz Band

90. It's a Shame - Spinners

91. Baby I'm For Real - Originals

92. The Bells - Originals

93. He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' - Velvelettes

94. Come To Me - Marv Johnson

95. I Need Your Lovin' - Teena Marie

96. The Love You Save - Jackson 5

97. What Does It Take (To Win Your Love?) - Jr. Walker

98. Function At The Junction - Shorty Long

99. Does Your Mama Know About Me? - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers

100. Greetings (This Is Uncle Sam) - Monitors/Valadiers

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-motown.html

• Members

Definition: Like Motown, the music commonly known as "Stax/Volt" refers to a style created and harbored by one independent company -- just as Motown music is called "Tamla/Motown" in the UK, to represent the joint label it was issued on there, "Stax/Volt" refers to the music produced by Jim Stewart and his sister Estelle Axton in Memphis during the '60s, and released on several different labels, those two being the most prominent. (Indie music companies of the day often formed a number of labels in order to ensure that radio stations, forbidden by new payola rules to play a lot of music from one imprint, would give all their songs equal exposure.)

The Stax empire was created by Stewart and Axton (hence the name) and run from an old converted movie theater in Memphis, ensuring that the sound these label(s) produced was remarkably consistent. The typical Stax/Volt single (sometimes not even issued on any of Stewart and Axton's labels, as the company also had a deal with Atlantic) was an upbeat version of "deep soul," that is, soul with a heavy gospel influence, an extremely emotional presentation, and very hard backbeat. The majority of Stax's output from their glory days of 1962-1970 was created by a group informally referred to as The Big Six -- guitarist and songwriter Steve Cropper, bassist "Duck" Dunn, drummer Al Jackson Jr., organist Booker T. Jones, and songwriter/producers David Porter and Isaac Hayes. The first four of these made up the core of Stax's "house band," Booker T. and the MGs; Cropper's squirrely, blues-based guitar leads are a major signifier of the label's sound. (Hayes would go on to be a star in his own right in the '70s with the theme from "Shaft.")

The Stax/Volt sound defined "hard" soul in its time, but as the Seventies wore on, R&B became sweeter and lighter in an attempt to cross over to pop radio, and the style fell from favor.

Also Known As: Deep Soul, Memphis Soul

Biggest hits:

"(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay," "Try A Little Tenderness," "I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)," "These Arms Of Mine," Otis Redding

"Green Onions," "Time Is Tight," Booker T. and the MGs

"Theme From Shaft," Isaac Hayes

"Respect Yourself," "I'll Take You There," "If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)," The Staple Singers

"Hold On! I'm Coming," "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby," "Soul Man," Sam and Dave

"Walking The Dog," Rufus Thomas

"Gee Whiz,"* "B-A-B-Y," Carla Thomas

"Tramp," Otis and Carla

"Born Under A Bad Sign," Albert King

"Knock On Wood," Eddie Floyd

"Soul Finger," The Bar-Kays

"Who's Making Love," Johnnie Taylor

"(If Loving You is Wrong) I Don't Want to be Right," Luther Ingram

"You Don't Miss Your Water," William Bell

"In The Midnight Hour,"* "634-5789 (Soulsville, U.S.A.)"* Wilson Pickett

* recorded at Stax studios but not issued on Stax label

Essential albums:

Otis Blue (1965), The Otis Redding Dictionary Of Soul (1966), The Dock Of The Bay (1967), The Immortal Otis Redding (1968), Otis Redding

Hip Hug-Her (1967), Booker T. and the MGs

Hot Buttered Soul (1969), Shaft (1971), Isaac Hayes

Born Under A Bad Sign (1967), Albert King

No. 1 Record (1972), Radio City (1973), Big Star

That N*****'s Crazy (1974), Richard Pryor

http://oldies.about.com/od/soulmotown/p/staxvolt.htm

Examples:

"I Can't Turn You Loose," Otis Redding (purchase/download)

"Green Onions," Booker T. and the MGs (purchase/download)

"Hold On! I'm Coming," Sam and Dave (purchase/download)

"Knock On Wood," Eddie Floyd (purchase/download)

"Soul Finger," The Bar-Kays (purchase/download)

"Who's Making Love," Johnnie Taylor (purchase/download)

"In The Midnight Hour," Wilson Pickett (purchase/download)

"Walking The Dog," Rufus Thomas (purchase/download)

"You Don't Miss Your Water," William Bell (purchase/download)

"Last Night," The Mar-Keys (purchase/download)

http://oldies.about.com/od/soulmotown/g/What-Is-Stax-Volt-Music.htm

Snippets of Stax songs:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1037442/a/Stax%3A+Top+Of+The+Stax,+Vol.+1%3A+Twenty+Greatest+Hits.htm

Archived