Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Members

When I first started playing guitar, I saw a PRS in cherry and inquired at my local music store about getting one. They called up the dealer and I was quoted a $10,000 price for a custom made lefty (they weren't currently making any lefties). So, I quickly forgot about that option and fortunately, PRS made a run of lefty guitars about 3 years later...at considerably less than $10,000.

Best "find" was when the owner of my local music store called me and told me someone had just traded in a lefty Rickenbacker and wondered if I was interested. I already had a fireglow 360/12 on order, but decided to check it out anyway. As soon as I opened the case, I knew I was going to buy it. It was a fireglow 360v64. I got it "mint" for about $750 and changed my 12 string order to a mapleglow.

360v64
ric360v64f.jpg
360/12
ric36012d.jpg

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice.

For some reason, I just never got into the Rics. I am not a fan of thier sound, as it is too jangly for me. I think most people that use them are Beatles fans anyway (I could be wrong though). Again, not to say they aren't nice and sound good, but I don't think I would pick one up.

• Members
Nice.

For some reason, I just never got into the Rics. I am not a fan of thier sound, as it is too jangly for me. I think most people that use them are Beatles fans anyway (I could be wrong though). Again, not to say they aren't nice and sound good, but I don't think I would pick one up.

I don't actually play the 12 string very much, but the 360v64 and a 350v63 get a lot of play time.
ric350a.jpg

My brother (lead guitarist in my band) plays more distortion, so I tend to stay away from heavy gain. This very much suits a Ric just fine. I really like the fact that they are very light weight guitars (other than the 12 string).

I've gigged often with the 360v64 and it is amazing. The tone of the guitar cuts through the mix real well too. Not too shabby when you want to really let it growl, but it isn't going to make you want to get rid of your Les Paul.

• Members
Z28talon, I just noticed your gear list and I must say that is some pretty impressive lefty hardware you've managed to accumulate.
:thu:
:thu:

Thanks. I started playing guitar in my 40s and tried to make up for lost time. I lucked out with the Gibson LP Standard (it was in stock at Gibson and I got it in 5 days). Other than the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time in getting the Ric 360v64, I've generally had to order a guitar and wait the usual 3+ months. I've found that the wait has been worth it.

I played drums for 25 years and had one drum kit. Guitars....a completely different story, but a lot more fun.

• Members

hey all. any room for another lefty?
fyi: i've got (2) MIJ '62 RI teles (burst and red, both modified)
a USA tele and a ephiphone dot - a black one i found on ebay and tricked out.
now i'm really itching for a gibson-ish lefty -firebird or maybe an explorer or a V. i've been looking at the eastwood p-90 and dillion or agile goldtop.
any strong opinions on eastwood or dillion?
anybody got any ideas about finding a lefty firebird?

thanks.

• Members

its been a while since i've been on here.

i've added a Gretsch Country Club to my gretsch family
6196body2.jpg

6196body3.jpg

and a couple acoustic/electrics

Takamine TAN16C with the cooltube preamp
tan16c_03.jpg

tan16c_08.jpg

and a Takamine Classical EC132C in which i love dearly

• Members

i just built a tele. the paint is midnight blue metalic urethane car paint with rainbow flakes in the clear. the flamework was by a local tattoo parlor. the neck is a WD vintage gloss neck with small frets and 7.25 radius, kluson tuners, joe barden t-style pickups, vintage fender bridge with brass saddles.

all i can say is "this thang is a beast"

finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

the flake sparkle is very halographic. they only twinkle when a light is shining on the guitar

here is a quick video of how the flakes look under a light (without flashbulb)
MY FLAMECASTER

• Members
hey all. any room for another lefty?

fyi: i've got (2) MIJ '62 RI teles (burst and red, both modified).

I had a red MIJ '62 RI tele about 12 years ago. I only had it for a few years and sold it to get my G&L ASAT "Bluesboy". I do remember that tele being very light in weight. It is one of the few guitars that I've sold or traded in, that I've had some regrets about.

I can't add anything about Dillon or Agile or a Firebird, but I do like the Gibson Faded Flying V. Hot ceramic pickups. Not the best for a real clean sound, but it breaks up easy and nice for distortion. The V isn't very heavy and gets looks anytime you take it out of the case.

flyingv22.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

^^ I hate it...;)^^

NOT my thing though!

Although saying that, I played about with a Dean last year that had a Floyd on it, initially for 'a laugh', it quickly turned into an hour... I was really impressed with it... it was a Dimebag Far Beyond ML Tribute I think...

I would never have bought it though. :)

• Members
Hi fellow Lefties just wondering what your thoughts were on these guitars,i've been looking for a Lefty with a Trem for a while but they're a bit thin on the ground.

I'm digging this model

FVT8A_Full.jpg

As long as you like the style. I think it looks great. Quite a visual statement at a rehearsal or gig too.

I have no experience with that particular guitar or brand, but just on looks.....:thu:

• Members

Went to Toronto to their biggest music store yesterday...

had THREE DECENT LEFTY ELECTRICS! Tried them all, was really really unimpressed:

1) Gibson SG - Horrible guitar. Can't believe this was my all time-wanted guitar when I stated playing (Damn you Iommi). The neck is a club, the pickups are horrible.

2) Gibson Les Paul Standard - Better action, better neck, but still falling short. Sounded exactly like a Studio I had years ago and sold. I have 3 Les Paul style guitars that DESTROY the standard.

3) Fender American Deluxe Strat - Pretty embarrassing. Good build construction, nice LOOKING neck. But in all honesty...I built a mexican strat up with Van Zandt pickups, and a other upgrades...and it outplayed this Deluxe American.

I never get to try higher end left handed guitars in stores. Its weird how I have been playing for 13+ years, and have had over 40 lefties in my time, but never played anything high end in a store. Everything has been bought by chance over eBay/internet. It just amazed me how awful these three 'staple' guitars sucked compared to some cheap gems in my collection.

On to the acoustic section...different story! Tried their highest model of each brand.

1) Larrivee - My worst of the bunch. Didn't enjoy their necks or sound at all. Too bad, they are Canadian :(

2) Martin - Incredibly lush sound. My second favorite. $2600 guitar, but the neck didn't suit me. A very hard V shape, and I am used to smaller necks.

3) Gibson J45 - Another expensive guitar, but I could see why. Very good construction, great neck, and a unique sound. Not my cup of tea though

4) Taylor - Damn...the 314ce wins for me. It even beat out a 700 something I played. And the fact that it was on sale for $899 from $1199 really tempted me to walk out with it.

I feel that Taylor was MY acoustic. HUGE projection and clarity...and the neck. Wow, I had no idea Taylor acoustics has such easy to play, small, rounded necks. I have been a Takamine acoustic player for a while, and this Taylor probably beats out my EAN10C. In fact...it does.

So thats my lefty day at the music store. We are very unlucky, and I got so much joy out of playing 7 lefties over $1000. I would only purchase one of those guitars if I had unlimited money, the Taylor 314ce, without a doubt.

• Members
That's cool Messiah,I noticed you run a Lefty friendly shop,do you have any Floyd Rose guitars in you would recommend?

I'm generally not into guitars with Floyd Rose trems, we tend to deal with more vintage/retro guitars, so the closest we'll have is something with a Bigsby on it... and you ain't doing no dive bombs on them! :cop:

There are a couple I've played, like the aforementioned Dean and a few Ibanez's that I've really liked, but would never dream of owning...

We're (Rose Lane Music) in the process of opening a new store (Liverpool City Centre) which will have a 'Lefty Wall' to begin with (25+ gtrs initially), and it is our intention to grow it into the best Lefty store in the UK. Makes sense seeing as it's run and owned by 2 lefties. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

This for anyone who has been through this and survived. My left-handed son-in-law wants to move from Guitar Hero to playing the real thing (not a bad thing!). He finds holding a right-handed guitar awkward and says it just feels more natural holding it "the other way". Since he has no experience either way at this point, should he learn to play "right" or follow his intuition that is telling him play left-handed? Thanks.

• Members

Being a fellow lefty, I would tell him to play the way he is most comfortable with.

The only advantage righties have on us lefties is the guitar selection. Looking at this as a glass half full situation, think of the money we save.

Tell him good luck.

Archived